Anime What's your primary anime discovery process?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, Jul 3, 2011.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

What are the most common driving forces when it comes to you giving a new anime title a chance?

Do you bank on the recommendations of friends?
    Do you filter from whatever is newest in fansubbing releases?
    Do you jump on the bandwagon of whatever seems most popular?
    Do you follow specific creative directors, production companies or voice actors?
    Do you randomly pick out whatever title catches your eye?

I want to read about your personal selections! BONUS: How much time do you allow a title to "grow" on you (that is, how long before you usually drop something you find unappealing)?

Mine? About 50% friend recommendations, 50% from "concept pitching". to explain the latter, I am all about running with titles that sound radically different from the norm. If I can find two sentences strung together that set a title clearly apart from anything I've seen, I usually give it a chance. I tend to give a trio run (3 episodes) to yea or nay a title, although I'm finding I more often than not can tell within minutes whether a series is something I'm going to either enjoy, or else slog through.

2. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Hmmm, mines so different then the norm. I have manga that I read and if that becomes an Anime its a must watch 100% of the time. I pick my manga by running searches based on what genre I like or friends telling me. I follow one director or writer Hayao Miyazaki faithfully. Considering he is more writing then directing I follow Studio Ghibli now. Reminds me to see if I can get Kokurikozaka Kara manga because the movie is coming soon. I check out the new anime for spring, summer, or fall of that year. Read some to see if I like it or not.

3. Firefox

Firefox Member

I'm pretty slow to pick up new series nowadays. Generally I stick with titles that I recognize, although I'll sometimes stumble across some information or artwork for a series that gets me interested, and other times my friends will get talking about it to the point where I kinda have to watch it in order to keep up, lol.

Tha's about it I think.

4. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I think i've become pretty finicky about which animes that i watch these days. Usually the artwork for a show would be the first thing to catch my eye, then i'd probably check up on it a little to see what its about. Then i would try and watch the show and see what its like, i usually only give a show one or two episodes before i decide to sit down and watch the rest.

Its hard to find an anime that i will actually really like these days cause i usually find them all to be the same in one way or another, which will leave me bored (though that might be just me looking for things not to like), for instance I hate shows were the main character is some kind of pubescent pervert thats fixated on naked women (i.e. Desert Punk, which i thought was hilarious for the first two episodes until the main character turned into a perv), the last really good anime that i watched that was totally unique to me was Black Lagoon.

These days i'm not watching anything else other then being on the Bleach and Naruto bandwagon.

5. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

I either go through the reccomendations on Myanimelist, the top anime on myanimelist (and ive been working my way down), or top seeded torrents up in BakaBT that arent hentai

6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

ask girlfriend what's hot right now...

7. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

I just check out what anime fits my favorite genre categories. If they fit the bill, that's when I check them out, but if the series suck after two or three episodes, I drop it, if the art is awful, I drop it, if the animation looks a bit stiff, I also drop it. I also stick to titles that I am familiar with and if my favorite manga gets an anime adaptation it's a must watch for me. But if the anime adaptation of the manga sucks, I'll stop watching it.
    I'm not the type who jumps into the bandwagon just because the series is popular, there are a lot of big hit series that I never watched even till now, series like Bleach and Naruto to name a few. Yep, that's mostly it.

8. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

My friends primarily. They tell me what they've seen recently and I watch it depending on how they describe it. I also usually go through my typical sites and try to watch an episode or two of the show before I decide to keep watching it.

9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

Mine has become a bit strange, I find them via wallpaper and toys. I have ones for shows I've never seen/heard of one the basis of them being awesome/adorable. Though it mostly drive my husband to hunt them down and he winds up telling me if they're shit or worth watching. Since our interests are so alike this works.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

I have always been picky about anime's I watch mainly due to my inability to sit still for longer than fifteen minutes. I usually go by genre and check out stuff I'll like. If it's light hearted and funny with a little bit of romance, I'm more inclined to watch it. I watch anime for laughs and a good plot. I look to see if the characters are well rounded. Decent voice acting is a must also.

If I start an anime and I don't enjoy it right off I'll usually watch a few episodes and if it doesn't work out, I drop it.

11. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

My anime discovery process is usually from getting a message from my sister with a link, and her saying "watch this!". Also going to friends houses to see what they've got to watch. It also helps that I have M2A to check and see what's good.

12. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

Another way I found out about new Gundam series is when I see new Gundam kits in my local toy shop :cool: