Where Is Tomita-San?

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by ryebot, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ryebot

ryebot New Member

What is he up to? Why aren't there more fans? This incredible artist must not be forgotten...!?!?

sound creature, anyone?

any comments?

2. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

He's usually composing soundtracks for TV or movies with occasional orchestral works. He does not seem to be the kind of artist who generally records a piece or album first and then sees if anyone will release it, it's very much a situation where a label or film company will commission him to compose music, or arrange and realize some classical music composed by others, which he hasn't done in over 10 years.

I'm sure there might have been exceptions. Like I'm sure he would have had to have recorded "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun" if not the whole of "Snowflakes" first before RCA offered to release it and sign him. But generally a company will hire him to compose a sound track first and then that will be his project.

It is quite sad that no labels seriously want new classical synth recordings from him though at least I'm sure he's happy that the Japanese film and TV industries continue to want his original music scores. I do wish they would arrange with more fantastic synthesizer sounds.

The most recent synthesizer-filled scores I know of are the now rare "Sennen no Koi" soundtrack in 2001 had much of the Tomita synth sound imho. And the "Night" half of "Aquasphere Theme Music"(2002) and "Tasogare Seibi" (2003) had a great deal of synths mostly soundng like a regular orchestra.

3. LoozooL

LoozooL New Member

Never Forgotten

Tomita will never be forgotten as he is part of music history.