Computers which scan virus is the best?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Project191, Nov 7, 2002.

?

which scan virus is the best?

1. norton

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. pc-cillin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. others

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

which one?

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I've been using Norton for a while, and I'm happy with it. I had PC-cillin on my old comp and I was frustrated with it. BUt other people can swear by it, so it can't be too bad. =D

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ugh PC-Cillin..... back in 1998 we had that and it was totally ineffective.... they've improved but Norton is simply the best out there. Right now I use Norton and couldn't be more pleased with a virus scanner. I did use the PC-Cillin online scanner recently though, and I did like how fast it went.

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The best protection is to not get infected in the first place. Always use secure software when browsing the net, keep your ports plugged or firewalled, and never download anything suspicious or from an untrusted source...

But if I cast my vote, it is also for Norton. Been the best I've tried yet.

5. Stos

Stos New Member

Yea I would say Norton is the best too. I have been using full copy of Norton Systemworks and upgraded this year to 2002. I love how it just goes in and fixes all my PC problems, well at least most of them, the ones it can fix. And how if it finds a virus it just automatically takes it away as if it were never there.
    I also use Kazaa to download stuff and it wanted me to also download bullguard, which I think is also an anti virus program. So I downloaded and installed it, but everytime it would run it would have an error and shut down. Probably just cus I have NAV also installed.
    So I guess the point I am trying to make is I have only used NAV and it seems to do the it's job pretty effectively and can not really comment on any other anti virus programs.

6. Kinryuu

Kinryuu New Member

norton... bleh

Norton SystemWorks is great... if you like having your partition tables trashed, having the registry incorrectly wiped, having installations corrupted at random, seeing system updates turned into week-long forays into operating system hell, wondering if the god-awful software will uninstall if you have a problem (which you probably will), watching the Microsoft Installer turn to mush after trying to reinstall it, and finally, if you actually are unlucky/stupid enough to get a virus, the program will be deleted, shutdown, and corrupted by most of the newer ones anyway.

Yeah, I love Norton.

Don't get me started on PC-cillin... I've seen systems with PC-Cillin that made norton look stable.

Anyway, I've done tech support for a while now, and basically I have come to the conclusion that ALL anti-virus software sucks, and picking one is basically like choosing which caliber bullet to shoot yourself in the head with. How big of a mess do you want to have to clean up when it's all said and done?

I guess if I had to choose, though... I'd probably go with Mcafee. Just for the simple reason that I used to do tech support for them and know what to do if it breaks, CERTAINLY not because I think it's superior to Norton or whatever.

Okay, I'm done.

Hey... YOU asked.