Comics why do we feel the need...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bloodberry, May 10, 2004.

1. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

to make "comic character a" vs "comic character b" threads?

honestly...

when you read comics, is this honestly the best questions you can think of?
    haven't you instead sondered, maybe, how something would have gone had someone else written the story arc? you know, neil gaiman writing preacher and give garth ennis sandman? or maybe, if sin city wasn't drawn in the style that it's done in, would it have the same feel and effect?

vs threads are driving me nuts, and i know not all comic fans think of is that petty crap. shark vs crocodile...XD

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

SB has an entire forum dedicated to VS debates. The big difference is those ones tend to be handled intelligently and we do have our share of "what if X wrote Y" style threads.

Anyway... meh.

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

yes, but you don't actually SEE them posted. that kinda thing gets it's lip service in the chat room and abandons here. i'm just saying though, what the fluff? why do there even need to be them?

i swear i'm gonna start closing them soon.

i want ideas on things to tlak about XD someone, discuss a plot point from a comic book in here!! please!!

4. Dante

Dante New Member

OMG this totally just gave me an idea for a new "Versus" thread...

"Versus threads" Vs. "Other threads"

WHO SHALL BE THE VICTOR?!

DUNH DUNH DUUUUUUUNNNNNH! *dramatic music*

*dramatic pause*

On a more serious note... I'm sure these kinds of questions are getting boring in all forums (I know I'm getting sick and tired of hearing newbs debating if Spike Spiegel can take Alucard from Hellsing or not, or if Vash The Stampede could own Dante from Devil May Cry or not).

[EDIT] Because everyone knows Spike would grind Alucard into the ground like an insect and Vash would strategically debate his way out of a fight with Dante and they would end up sharing a box of donuts together... until Dante takes the last one, and Vash puts a bullet between his eyes, oh-so-strategically [/EDIT]

5. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

amon, i'm going to kill you some day, you realize this, right?
    XD

6. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

The thing is, american comics are all about vs storylines, thats why there are so many cross-overs. so obviously the fan base must love that kind of thing. Its like telling LOTR fanboy's to stop playing D+D

(wow I actually made a short post that doesn't p*ss anyone off...YAY)

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Only if you only read the mainstream stuff... go pick up a copy of Dork Tower, Knights of the Dinner Table or Nodwick sometime...

8. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

fax from sarijavo(i butchered that spelling) by the kubert father is really damn good if you can find it.

9. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

We're talking about the mainstream, right?

If you prefer independant groups then you don't fall into the demographic that I was talking about.

The majority of people who start vs threads do prefer mainstream (just look at most of the match-ups)

I admit though i don't really read independant comics, they always stike me as being presumptuous or elitist.

10. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

please note that yes, he did say mainstream. it's even in your quote.

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

:rolleyes: If, of course, you talked to me you'd realise I love versus debates...

That all depends on where you look. On SB (cant provide a link due to this forums rules) we have plenty of mainstream debates like Spiderman vs Darth Maul, but we also have non-mainstream debates like 1 Mk 30 Bolo vs 3 Culture Drones.

Isn't it presumptuous in itself to make that sort of statement?

12. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

Cr*p it is presumptuous...but that's ok because it's me who said it :anime:

Fair enough but i think what i said in the first place still stands true

and the "we're talking about mainstaream" question was meant to refer to the whole post but i realise that i was wrong so it doesn't matter now

13. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

"Bloodberry VS Amon Sena"

e.e no i know entirely what you mean. People always make threads like that. The prefrence poll sort of thing. Which is better. There is really no point. I also get sick of seeing the Which Character would win threads, or Whos hotter? They really get anoying. Total mind rotting threads.