Why hate Yamcha?

Discussion in 'Dragon Ball' started by Saiyan ChiChi, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

Why do a lot of fans dislike Yamcha? It seems like a lot of them are V/B fans too since there is Yamcha bashing is a lot of V/B fics.

Personally I dont think Yamcha is so bad.

2. wing_goddess

wing_goddess Power User

Another bashing thread, eh?

I don't know why people BASH Yamcha....maybe because they're drunk. What has Yamcha ever done to the haters?! He's a good guy and *had* nice hair. He also has a sense of humour as well.

3. Dante

Dante New Member

Three Words:

Saibaman

Self

Destruction

I mean, even CHAOZU lasted longer than that. Puh-leeze. Anyways, you know where to find my arguments of why Yamucha is bad. :p

4. Yamcha

Yamcha New Member

Well... I was going to wait to see how much damage was going to be done in this thread. But, I guess I'll respond now and fix the recent damage.

Amon Sena, sorry for blasting you in the private messages, I just figured from your response that you were one of those uneducated, dumbass pricks that just love to start up sh*t. So naturaly I was forced to bring myself down to that level of stupidty, and thus I hurled out alot of things that I shouldn't have said. Actualy, you seem like someone who really knows his DBZ. Now, of coarse, I can't excuse what you said because of it's level of immaturity. Your recent post (above) also sounds quite juvinile, and it makes me want to question your age, but of coarse, that would be rude.

With that being said, It's time to enlighten all those who are in the dark and mislead.

Alright, here we go...
    Now first off, the event that scarred Yamcha as a "pathetic fighter" is one of the most misunderstood events for so many DBZ fans.
    You know what I'm talking about, the fight with the Saibaman.
    Ok, before the fight started, it was Krillin who was going to fight the Saibaman. As he was stepping up to face the Saibaman, Yamcha held him back. Yamcha insisted that he would fight the Saibaman in place of Krillin. He saved Krillin from that fate. (oh yes! that's right! Krillin would have also got that same sneaky surprise attack from behind.) Yamcha had the fight; heck, he owned the fight! Now, what happened? Yamcha turned his back to the downed foe and faced Vegeta and Nappa with a cocky, arogant smirk on his face. Heck, Yamcha felt that He had the situation undercontrol. "Bring 'em on! I'll take on all the saibamen!". A pretty cocky statement from Yamcha.
    Yamcha certenly was powerful enough to hold his own against five saibaman, plus Yamcha hadn't even gotten serious yet. He still had yet to use his powerful "Spirit Ball" attack (though he was probably going to save it for Nappa and Vegeta).
    Now it was at this moment that the downed saibaman made his crafty, sneaky, suiside attack on Yamcha while Yamcha's attention was on Vegeta and Nappa. This opened the Z warriors eyes to how serious the situation was (talk about taking a bullet for the team). Had Yamcha not been taken out (in such a cheap, b.s. way, might I add) He and Tien would have teamed up against Nappa and give him one hell of a fight!

Now, moving on to the Frieza Saga...
    When the Ginyu Force arived, Recoom fought Vegeta, Krillin and Gohan. He not only beat them, but he did it so easly. Soon after, the Ginyu Force (minus Capitain Ginyu) ends up in King Kai's planet. Yamcha, Tien and Chaotzu fight's them AND beats THEM easly! Recoom was practicly imposible for Vegeta, Krillin and Gohan to beat, but we see Yamcha smack him down all the way to Hell with out braking a sweat!

Now, later on in the Sagas...
    some people complain that Yamcha was unfaithful to Bulma. That he was such a player. That he would flirt with women while they were on a date. All I gotta say is "Give me some proof". Of coarse it never happened in Dragonball and Dragonball Z. It was actualy quite the opposite. We all see Bulma flirt with guys in Dragonball and Dragonball Z while she was dating Yamcha. I don't think I need to write down all the times that she did it.
    Also, with how self centered Bulma is, we can asume that chances are she was dating both Yamcha and Vegeta behind their backs for awhile before she broke it off with Yamcha (and I'm pretty sure that the only reason that Bulma broke it off with Yamcha was that she accidently got pregnant with Vegeta. Yup; I don't think Vegeta even heard about condoms at the time)

As for the confrontation Yamcha had with the androids, yes, Yamcha was brought down pretty cheaply by Dr. Gero. Has anyone over thought about why? Well first, The androids had the element of surprise (Yamcha thought they were human). Second, Dr. Gero's suprise attack on Yamcha was the energy drain attack (It seems that Dr. Gero wanted to take out Yamcha as quickly as possible rather than risk fighting him). Third, Yamcha was totally drained and deffenseless and pretty much passed out, so Dr. Gero got that cheap shot through Yamcha's body (it seems that Yamcha is the unlucky bastard that gets cheap shots done on him when he's in a situation where he's totally unaware of it). Now, of coarse, because of that experience, Yamcha was able to pass this information to his commrads so that they would be prepared for it (unlike him, since he had to experience it first hand).

Moving on to the Buu Saga...
    We all found out that Yamcha decided to stop training; although that's not really the case. Yamcha didn't actually stop training; he just didn't want to partisapate in world saving battles anymore. Can't really blame the guy. There are at least three super saiyans that can pretty much handle that job without any asistance. Yamcha just wanted to sit back and leave it to them.
    Of coarse, we see that Yamcha is still an incredible fighter. He took on pretty much every fighter in the Other World (and beat them all) when he and Krillin were there with King Kai (proof that he still trains. He just doesn't tell anyone).

Now, going back all the way to Dragonball...
    sure Yamcha started off as a bad-guy in the begining of Dragonball, but most of Goku's friends used to be bad-guys anyway.
    Yamcha was one of Goku's first friends, and he was one of the most important, and powerful characters in Dragonball.

On top of that, Yamcha is one of the very few characters that is actually based on one of the characters from "Journy to the west" (the story that the first saga of Dragonball is based on); the story about a monkey boy from China who journied across the land and met people along the way.

There it is people. This is my analytical and educated study on the matter.
    It's pretty staight-forward. Take it as it is. I hope I don't have to articulate myself any more. There's still alot more I wanted to add but I want to keep it as brief as possible (I don't want to have to take up a whole thread page).

I hope this was enlightening and a real eye opener.

Later.

2 people like this.
  5. Red Jackal

Red Jackal New Member

I don't post a lot, a good thing, I'm sure. My opinions and commentary have a tendency to offend small-minded people. But after reading this... Well. I just have to add my two cents (and more). I used to be a very avid Dragonball Z fan (until I found better animes), which is pretty strange for a girl, I suppose. I'm not much of a fan any more, and if I were to watch it again it would solely be for Vegeta.

Yamcha, as far as I have seen, is utterly clueless. An airhead, if you will, lacking any sort of intelligence. I've yet to see him show any signs of someone who has a competent, working brain inside their heads. I've never seen him accomplish any thing. True, I've never seen Dragonball (no Vegeta) and I never will. Maybe he was a little better than the mediocre image he is, now, but he's still only one thing. Useless. He never beat a baddie (not one of importance, anyway, ala Cell, Buu and so on), never even bruised one.

And as far as Bulma cheating on Yamcha with Vegeta and vice versa... Give me a break. It doesn't need to be said that Vegeta's no idiot. Yes, his arrogance blinds him pretty often, but he isn't stupid. He also strikes me as the territorial sort that would keep an eagle's eye on Yamcha if he even suspected something was up. And condoms. Pff. Considering the advanced technologies Vegeta must've seen through his destructive adventures, would you really blame him for not knowing about condoms? I'm sure there are much better (cleaner and less.... dark ages) contraceptives floating around out there somewhere. :anime: Even if that were the case. And I doubt it is.

Who knows. Maybe noone made condoms big enough for him. ;)

3 people like this.
  6. Dante

Dante New Member

Well, first thing's first, since you're so curious... yes, I am immature. :) My friends will tell you I'm probably one of the most immature people you'll meet at 18 years old. :p And seeing as you, as you put it, "brought yourself down to that level of stupidity" yet again (seems to be a running gag with you), I decided to retort, yet again. :) Why? Because it's so easy, and so fun.

First, I'll cover the infamous Saibaman battle. You know what? Yes, Yamcha was attacked from behind. And you know why? Well, as you said, he was as cocky as a rooster in a hen-house, with very little reason. If he was even HALF as good as you claim him to be he would have been able to shake the Saibaman and somehow avoided the attack, or have made sure that all of the enemies were dead. He sealed the deal of his fate when he assumed and turned his back on his enemy. He got what was coming to him and what he rightfully deserved. This forever labeled him as a loser, a title that fits him well. As for the teaming up of Yamcha and Tienshinhan against Nappa... am I the only one that seems to remember the Z Fighters being up ****'s Creek without a paddle until Gokuu popped up? I sure hope not.

As for Yamcha beating the Ginyuu force... take into account the fact that Yamcha was given an unfair advantage over them. The area was new to the Ginyuu Force, they were unfamiliar with the weight disadvantage, in which Yamcha, Tienshinhan and Chaozu had been training since they were killed by the Saibaman and Nappa. Besides the fact that Gohan was still a sniveling coward at this point and Kuririn has never been impressive throughout the entire span of any of the three series, you're comparing your oh-so-precious Yamcha (not to mention two others, one of which being Tienshinhan who even showed major use in the Cell Saga) to an arrogant prince, a sniveling weasel of a boy, and a mini-monk who probably couldn't beat Puar if he tried at that point. Oh... yes... Yamcha is SOOOOOOOO great. Might I also point out shortly afterwards, Vejita single-handedly beat down Jiisu and Bartaa, and also had defeated Gurudo without so much as breaking a sweat, putting him once again much higher than your lacking Yamcha. ;)

As for your talking about Yamcha's relationship problems... actually... I don't think I've even ever heard ONE person call Yamcha a "Player"... a p****, yes. A coward, yes. A weakling, yes. A no-good pretty boy who's just there to take up space and make everyone look more powerful (which he does well), yes. But not a player. And it is clearly marked, throughout the series, that Buruma and Yamcha's relationship had reached the point of no mending (and frankly, I'd be unsatisfied with Yamcha, too). Sure, they kept a minor friendship but it was clear that it wasn't going anywhere beyond that, especially considering immediately after the Freezer Saga she began to show interest in Vejita (a real man, tyvm). Get your facts straight, man.

I swear, seeing Yamcha get impaled upon Gero's arm had to be one of the best parts of the series. He had it coming for blindly and moronically and arrogantly rushing into battle like that. You have no proof that the others would have had any more horrific of a fate if they had not known that he was an Android. And gee... you think there's a reason he gets "suckered" so much? ;)

I don't see how Yamcha wanting to sit back helps his argument any. :p Ooooo, WOW, he can handle some fighters that everyone else can take without so much as making a fist. Big man now. ;)

And... of COURSE Yamcha would seem like a powerful character in Dragonball. Look at what we're dealing with. Emperor Pilaf, Buruma, Tienshinhan (who was stronger than Yamcha in that series as well, mind you), an even more munchkin Kuririn, and Master Roshi. And Piccolo-Damaio and Piccolo (whom I don't think Yamcha even confronted, though it's been ages since I've seen the original Dragon Ball). Oh. Wow. Yeah. A LOT of competition. ;)

You're just lucky I left out his embarassing moments in the movies. :)

There. I hope that was enlightening for some of you. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Yamcha

Yamcha New Member

Boy, you are one disgrunteled individual, arn't you? Of coarse I expected you to take my comments and twist them around aswell as warp facts in hopes to rival me up. If you want to challange my comments, I suggest you responed with an open mind rather than with the immature ignorance of a child. I admit that Yamcha has flaws. Heck, I don't expect him to be perfect; but you know what? That's what makes him more like a real person. A real person has merits and flaws. A real person has ups and downs. So Yamcha isn't one of the best fighters, Ha! So what. Unlike some characters, his life doesn't revolve around fighting. Put that into account. I also expected that you would know that Dragonball Z is really all about the saiyans and half-saiyans, so don't expect guys like Yamcha to have any kind of significance.
    In Dragonball, Yamcha is actually a kick-a$$ character.

Your a saiyan fanboy, arn't you? If it's not saiyan or half-saiyan than you don't care, right? (Geez! At the very least, Yamcha looks like he's saiyan).

Dude, I gotta ask, what's up with all the negetive energy?

8. Dante

Dante New Member

Oh.. so... you like "real people"? So, what's with the flying and firing energy blasts? :) I twisted nothing and I warped nothing. I pointed out facts that you left out to try and make your favorite character seem more powerful than he is, as he is not even a fraction of what you say he is.

And although you say it's all about the Saiya-jinns there are plenty of characters that still have just as much of a part including Mr. Satan and Videl and Piccolo, and also Kuririn and Tienshinhan do great deeds up until GT. Stop trying to make excuses because you have no proof (as there is none) that Yamcha DOESN'T suck.

I just find it utterly hilarious you claim Yamcha is so great and so powerful, so on and so forth.. and yet when I point out how much of a weakling he is... "Oh yeah, that just means he's not perfect! That's what I like about him!"

Apparently you know very little about the series because Dragonball Z is a series ABOUT fighting, so characters whose lives DON'T revolve around fighting have no real place in there.

Just admit it... Yamcha had a falling out because he realized he was **** compared even to Tienshinhan and Kuririn, which he always had been. Stop making excuses.

And just for further note, I'm more partial to the Namekians, more namely Nail (my second favorite character, first being Gokua from Movie 9, featuring Bojack). The only Saiya-jinns that are really even worthwhile in the show or movies are Vejita and Bardock.

And in Dragonball... as I said.. of course Yamcha can afford to be a "kick-***" character.. he has little to no competition to deal with. Either everyone is greatly under-exaggerated by him (IE the "normal humans that have no place in the series") or the characters that are more powerful than him (Gokuu, Tienshinhan, Roshi).

You're obviously in denial considering that every post of yours contradicts facts and points in your last as to why you even like Yamcha. Hell, if I didn't know any better I'd say that you're purposely liking a crap character just to get the attention.

And, as for the "negative energy", it comes from you deciding to be closed-minded. :)

I hope you were capable of comprehending all of that.

9. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Yamcha, buddy ol' pal, the THREAD is labelled "Why Hate Yamcha?"

Of COURSE there's gonna be negative energy abound in this particular thread.

As for Amon's posts, have you ever stopped to think that you're defending Yamcha as much as he himself is attacking that same person? If *you* just leave an open mind about *his* opinions (no matter how wrong both of you happen to be) then *he* will leave *you* be with your own.

But, keep going on attacking each other. It's rather amusing, really.

As for me, I "dislike" Yamcha because he wasn't really all that spectacular a character in nearly any sense for me. Right from the start, Goku was funnier, Goku was stronger, and Goku was the focus. As for "second-hand" characters...the mighty monk, Kuririn and the fatty, Yajirobe always enthused me more than Wolf Boy.

As for *why*, well, Kuririn *can* theoretically destroy anybody with his Destructo Disk, so long as it connects. He also looks mighty bad-*** for such a runt. Yajirobe...well, because....he's Yajirobe.

10. Star Princess

Star Princess Haters are retarded.

Eh... People hate Yamcha? I thought it was Krillin who got all the flames.

11. Yamcha

Yamcha New Member

I totally agree with you, Izzy. We both took the subject too seriously.
    I admit that I defend Yamcha so much because He's my favorite DB/DBZ character. My interest in Yamcha is as above normal as Amon Sena's hatered for the same character.

I'll be blunt. You're starting to get on my nerves, big time. If you keep on being oblivious to my multiple warnings, You'll find yourself banned. - Arcueid

12. Vegetalover16

Vegetalover16 New Member

wazzat?

*gasp* how can someone not like yamcha? he is so cool!!!! i didnt know that there was so much evil in the world...*shakes head*

13. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

1st of all, the show is based around fighting and kicking the bad dudes @$$. 2nd of all, its tru that yamcha is not one of the best fighters and if he wasnt cocky he culda taken down the saibaman but it was b/c hes cocky that made him lose, not his fighting skills.