Computers Windows, 98 or Xp?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by c0ke, Jun 1, 2002.

1. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Now I use windows 98 SE, and people say that windows 98 SE is the least buggiest from the three, but I find them all buggy as hell. Now I rather use Mac OS' but Mac doesn't have as many programs as Windows. So I want to turn to the next version of Windows, Windows XP, but, I want to is it worth upgrading to XP, and if it is, which version Home, or Pro version.

2. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I hear XP's a huge upgrade. I've been trying to convince my dad to let me slap it on our PC for months. I'm still stuck with 98, myself.

3. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

Aaaaw 98's not so bad. I personally use NT or 2000 but hey.
    XP IS pretty good, but its mostly a visual thing, I find.

4. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

trust me XP is great, so dont worry cuz windows XP will live up to ur expectations.

I dunno the difference between the two version :confused:

5. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Which one? Both!

I have them both on my machine right now, on seperate partitions. 1 GB for 98, 2.4 for XP, and the other 73 for everything else. Keeps stuff organized, and lets you try out XP without losing 98.

Anyway, after trying them both out, I have switched almost exclusively to XP if it means anything. Lot more stable, and the cursor moves more smoothly :) It's a little thing, but I like it.

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I believe that Windows 2000 would be my next choice for upgrade. It's the stablest one of all...

Until then, I've got my 98SE....there's something about XP that turns me away as well...

Oy...It's a Micro$oft world mainly...

7. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

2000 may be more stable than XP, but the improvement in stability from 2000 to XP is nowhere near as great as from 98 to XP. IE, XP is still pretty darn stable. Better hardware compatibility too. A lot of things will never be supported under 2000 (like a lot of SoundBlaster's stuff)

XP scared me too, but the activation can be disabled, it can be changed to look like regular windows instead of the bloated blue stuff, and I like it. To each his own of course. 2000 is not bad at all.

yeah, Microsaft is everywhere. I will get linux sometime (I'm waiting for a stable version of KDE 3) (well, and a new Hard Drive too) Of course, when I do, I will have three OSs, cause I'm not going to ditch windows.

8. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

sigh.. 98 was always glitchy on me. I thought it was normal, when I got Xp, I was so surprised how fast it ran and how smooth. but sometimes when I'm on, my start menu pops up, all these programs start up, windows pop up all over the place, and I can't control anything for about 30 seconds. Its crazy. Thats the only XP problem I have.

9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i have windows 98 the second version...stables out beautifully once you upgrade internet explorer to version 6. i would one day enjoy being rid of the windows bane...but alas...<sigh> it will happen one day...

10. Kaori

Kaori New Member

well, i'll add a question ^^; what do you guys think of Linux? I use XP professional, and its great. It seldomly crashes with my modeling program which is awesome since 98, ME, and some others always seem to crash when i use my proggie.

11. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I like penguins...:)

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yes, you can change the cartoony look to it...but underneath it all, it's still the same... Don't you realize you're just trying to fool yourself, Mamiya?

:D

13. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

For the past while I've been using Windows XP Pro and it's really really good, It hasn't totally frozen up in any programs to the extent that I had to reset the computer manually ever for me. I really hated it in windows 98 how every other second it would freeze and give me a system error then I would have to reset... The only problems I had with XP were ones that were my own fault, like once I installed a really weird driver, or did something to the computer... so when stuff like that happens all you have to do is go to System Restore, and you can restore it to a state from like a week or any time at all in the past before you messed your computer up ;) I find that it runs a lot smoother with everything as well and even opens up windows and programs faster ^__^x

Well I did have a bit a few days ago where I couldn't even open up any programs or anything and I almost had to format... but to get rid of that I just totally reinstalled XP without formatting and I'm okay now ;) I just hope that it doesn't happen again... *sigh* I couldn't even format it from DOS! I had to go into Safe Mode and reinstall XP through that. But overall it's a really good operating system and I reccomend it for sure, especially if you constantly have problems with Wndows 98...

14. TamaKameKami

TamaKameKami Lord Tama

98 has been pretty good for me latelynot having really any problems so whats the point in upgrading.....even know xp would be nice but i can wait no rush for me....

15. Kusanagi san

Kusanagi san New Member

I would personaly go for XP windows 98 hasd a lot more glitches and there are quite a bit more perks in XP. (plus you don't want your machine to become obsolete;) :sweat2: )

16. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Right now my .. er our *:p* computer is 98 .. but when I get my own personal pc .. I might buy a XP one ..

17. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

AND I CAN USE IT RIGHT

18. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Now I am confused .. should I buy 2000 or XP .. :confused: ??
    It depens .. have you been a good boy ?! ;)

19. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

ok u said it:sweat: