Computers WindowsMediaPlayer VS WinAmp

Discussion in 'Computers' started by seraphinx, Jan 5, 2004.

1. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

I use Windows Media Player to play all my video clips, audio CD's, and mp3's. I know that WinAmp is extremely popular for playing mp3's, but after I first got my laptop two years ago, I just never bothered downloading WinAmp. Before I went to college though, WinAmp was what I used on the family computer, and in my first year of college, that's what my roommate used as well. (Yeah, I had to borrow his computer all the time.)

Then the newer Windows Media Player came along, with all these new features, and that too made me wanna be more devoted to it rather than going back to WinAmp.

I was wondering, does anyone feel the same? Or am I the only one who left WinAmp? Should I go back to WinAmp?

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

WiMP (windows media player) is teh bloat! ;)

I use winamp for MP3 playing. Winamp5 especially has a nice media library. I wouldn't use it for video though, even though it's possible. Lately I've also been messing with foobar2000. Either of those use a lot fewer resources.

I actually don't even use WiMP for videos. Well, i don't use winamp for videos either hehe

You might give winamp5 a shot. It has a load of new stuff you might find interesting. Dunno. I prefer something a little more minimal (thus my infatuation with foobar2000)

Anyway, I wouldn't call WiMP bad, but if you ask me, I'd use something else

3. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

I use Winamp for mp3 playing, mostly the good old fashioned 1.92. Respect.

As for movie playing, I don't really like WiMP. I'd go for BS Player since it's easy to use and very good in my opinion.

- Teddz

4. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Winamp for mp3's

Windows media player and sometimes DivX for movies.

^Shen^

5. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

I use Winamp for everything. ^^ I love my skin, I've been using the same for nearly a year.

I watch videos on it and listen to mp3s. <3 Winamp

6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

Winamp... everything audio
    WMP CLASSIC, not the new one, for everything video

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I use WiMP XP for my video purposes. I used to use it when I played my audio CDs as well...it's easy enough to use and it's the default player...so I got no qualms there.

Winamp is delegated solely for audio. I tried using Amp5's video playback...and was less than enthused by it. I'm using 5 right now, just to try it out...and might go back to 1.95 if I start disliking it. However, the only real problem I have with it is startup time...which is kinda important because all the music I have is available through quicklaunch bars. But...I just leave winamp on in that case. ^___^

I also use Sasami2k if I want to watch something while surfing. Works well, since it's totally borderless. And the fact you can have it ONLY in the systray and that you can brighten the picture...makes it work well for trying to watch Initial D...since it's so dark most of the time. Only thing wrong is that sometimes the aspect ratio gets kinda screwy and the pixels kinda goof around when I play with video settings...but, that's easily remedied.

8. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

saberj2x: same here. If I use WiMP, it's 6.4 (good old mplayer2.exe)

My favourite app for videos is RadLight. I'm using the last version before they added spyware..

I did a big test of video players a while back and radlight had the smallest CPU usage. Unfortunately the app gained notoriety shortly thereafter for attempting to uninstall adaware LOL. Old versions are still good though. And WiMP 6.4 wasn't too far behind.

For DVDs I go for PowerDVD. Easiest one I've used for region free goodness.

Media players I use in Linux could be a different post sometime

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Winamp for music of all types.

VideoLanClient for video, occaisionally using BSPlayer if I need a screencap.

10. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

Winamp has great, easy navigation, useful to load a huge mp3 list.

WMP is better for cd and video playback.

WinDVD for dvds :p

11. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Thank you all for the feedback. So where's a good place to get BS Player (and what's a good version to get)? Maybe I'll check out the new WinAmp as well. I do have to admit though, that WinMP takes up a lot of loading time to open up files, and to load up playlists.

Also, what's a good stream-recording software? (Something that records a streaming video file from a website so you can save it onto your harddrive.) The one I have is two years old and whatever I record with it won't allow me to fast forward/rewind/seek.

12. psyeudkev

psyeudkev New Member

Just search Google for 'BSPlayer'. Latest one I'm using is v1.00 RC1, build 803 (or something similar).

I use BSplayer for almost any video, even wmv's and asf's (I switch to WMP only when file is really picky).