Creative Writing Writers block...

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by Basher, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I want to start a thread on writer's block.

Here are some sample questions.

What do you when you get it?

What should you not do?

Is there a way you get around it?

To tell the truth I do have writers block kind of. In two days I wrote 5 chapters. But before that there are spurts where I write none.

2. Basher

Well this is a writer's block thread...

So here it is the questions I was wondering about.

1. What do you when you get writer's block?

2. What should you not do when you have writer's block?

3. Is there a way you get around writer's block?

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

Well, there are a few notes I can make about "writer's block".

Just wondering Basher, are you on a deadline? The reason why I ask is because most of the things I write (currently about 3 different stories concerning the same general idea) have no time constraints. This allows me ample time to think, let things sit and brew or whatnot. When I find myself stumped on one thing, I just move on to the other story which (as it usually does), gives me a bright idea for the story I just put on hold.... yea, and so on.
    Also, I don't like the idea of having things rushed. My story ideas have been about 7 years in the thought and development phase. Only recently (in the last year) have I turned my notes and drawings into stories.

Hm, but if you want something immediate, here's something that works for me: reading something new. Last quarter in college, my heavily detailed Greek history book was a veritable gold mine of ideas and concepts; my elder brother introduced me to HP Lovecraft when I was struggling with horror/gothic styles; I sought out and bought "The Man in the Iron Mask" when I was looking for something new, and the list goes on.
    Heck, i've gotten ideas just by browsing through my brother's old Oceanography book.

Ack, I seem to have skipped answering your questions inspite of all this, so:
    1. What do I do? Well I think I have written enough about what I do.
    2. What you shouldn't do? Panic and/or give up. Think about your problem, make sure you know why you are stuck, then just keep an open mind while going through life or reading something. I remember, the hardest problem I faced was trying to create conflict amongst a group of people who don't know what fighting/arguing/hostility is. This was a month long writer's block (which allowed me to get other writings done) but I eventually found a solution from a comic book (the far side if you must know).
    3. I'm sure you have enough above for me to omit this question.

4. Basher

No deadline. But I want something that proves that I have done something.

Cool. I have about 19...but I am choosing to work on 15 out of that for now. But that breaks down into switching between 3 or so right now.

7 years...that was probably one of my problems. Although mine is not 7 years it is 5. And I know I have enough info to fill 3 or 4 books. But I am just lazy. I need to work on the background. I guess this is where it all started.

Right now I do have writer's block but it is rather different. I always have to be strange. When it comes to fanfic’s (writing 2 to improve my skills) I can sit down and write no problem. I have outlines loads of chapters ahead.

When it comes down to what I want to write I have an outline done that I have yet to touch on. I know if anything comes up in later chapters I can edit it. I just don’t write it. I think I am busy lazy. So in a way I have writers block and a way I don’t…right?

Anyway this thread isn’t for me it is for everyone out there. Being a writer there will be a time when you have writers block. Maybe we can look back on this and find a way around it next time it happens. Nothing sucks more then not being able to write to a write.

1. What do I do? Well, I go over the previous chapter(s), or outline. I think of new ideas. I will even create and outline or timeline. But as of late that doesn’t work. I will force myself to write only because I have an outline. Never force yourself unless you know that you can handle it.

2. Don’t do? DON’T ever start another story work on an old one. Reason why I have 19 ideas floating around and outlines for all but 2. Neo thinks I am crazy.

3. Around writer’s block? Right now I am hoping forcing myself works. Otherwise I suggest creating an outline. If you get frustrated do something else and allow yourself to get away from the project.

Maybe later others will find new ways that have helped them or find new questions. I for one will always check back

5. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

I'm so glad you got rid of M.S.'s post. Jesus...you know how much that post peeved me.

First I have a tendency to whine and groan about it. I find tossing myself into one of my thousands of other unfinished stories helps.
    My favorite way to get passed it is "scene association". I'll paint a vivid scene I want to eventually happen in my head and write it out. By the time I'm done with the scene i have no problems.

You shouldn't whine, groan, trash it, or FORCE YOURSELF.

Forcing yourself is a sure fire way to write absolute crap that you won't be happy with. Sometimes it even makes writers block worse.

Trashing it should be an absolute last resort. Sometimes starting over is best , it tends to give you new possibilities for the chapter you're writing.

Switch stories frequently. Putting your concentration on one thing is a sure way to burn yourself out quickly. TRUST ME, it took me a while to learn this. I'm hard headed like that.

I don't think your suffering from writers block. You just need a break.

--

Yes, To a point I do think you're crazy. Working 19 stories at once, you're bound to run into burnout. You'll get sick of looking at those outlines over and over again. Remember the attempt at the timeline? That turned out to be a headache in disguise.

6. Basher

It was a headache...Oh I know why. The format I did it in was giving me a headache. I switched to a basic table and it went a lot better. I worked out a lot of bugs to.

So do you agree with me on saying don't start another story switch between one. I won't start another one until some are done.

7. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

Well when it gets to the point where we are... yes. Stop creating new stories.

You've hit nineteen, I've hit twelve we should have stopped before now. It less stressful.

I got myself in trouble by finishing stories and then creating new ones at a fast pace. Get down to a comfortable number like three and hang there.