Creative Writing Writer's Block

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by Stardust Phox, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

How you deal with it, what it does to you, how it feels.

Or something like that. ^_^ I was just feeling cramped up in what concerns writing, creativity, and productivity...so...I guess I'd like to see/hear/read what everyone else does when this happens. ^_^

Share your thoughts...^~

2. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Actualy, I never get writers block, my problem is I usualy have too many ideas. I just keep on forgetting everything, it's bloody annoying. The only time I ever get writers block is when I have to do essays for exams, then I am quite succeptable to it. Never for anything creative though.

3. evilmutantman

evilmutantman New Member

I always seem to get about 50 great ideas and then merge them all into 1 really bad one. I just can't stick to the original plot, and I end up changing it as I go along too much. I suppose its like my pen is my writer's block; I put it to the paper and WHAM!!

4. keence

keence New Member

me, even though you probably dont know me, I usualy just go and read or start another book or story. Also Mika-chan gives me Ideas some times.

5. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

My cure for writer's block is usually a combination of banging my head repeatedly against a flat, hard, solid object and cursing at inanimate objects that I find around. I find toasters work quite well.

6. keence

keence New Member

Doesnt that hurt a little?

7. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Only really the toaster part.

8. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

*snigger* My, my, violence seems to be quite the little helper... :p

But I guess most of us just have the same problem -- too many ideas swimming around in our heads. Bleeah. ^^;;

9. k0gepan

k0gepan New Member

hrm.

I'm going to get philosophical on you.(*chuckle*) I believe there is no such thing as writers block. It is actually just you not being able to concentrate on any specific topic, ne? When I have what normal diggies (diggies being ppl) call 'writers block' I go through these stages:
    1)staring at paper/word processor and counting blue lines or how many different things that paperclip can REALLY do
    2)violence. I find throwing erasers and lip gloss tubes is handy
    3)picking a person, an inanimate object, and a part of nature and finally turning it into a semblance of a story
    TA DAA. Problem solved. thank you for your time.
    :dizzy2:

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I end up deciding just to take a break from it when I hit a block.

When you can't think of anything, you pretty much can't - end of story. The more I think about it, the less I feel like continuing to write. So, go for a walk, or just shelve it to watch television or write on something else. After a break of some kind, the next time you read over your last bit something likely should jump out at you that never did before... at least, that's the theory.

Of course, my problem is remembering to go back after taking the break. :D