Recreation Yes, there is a chatroom.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by User18, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

same for azumanga diaoh. same reason too =p bought a couple of karekano, then just got the box set when i couldn't find the rest locally. it was there. so was i. didn't buy the second version of the rahxephon box, but we do have the first.

they just need to lower the prices, and even the crap titles will sell. >.>

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Bandai Entertainment tried that tact with the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - which was crazy popular in distribution numbers when it was on the fansub circuit and well received. The download numbers should have indicated an instant sales hit for the licensed release. Bandai Ent went the whole kit and caboodle, releasing both a standard and collector's edition and despite its widespread distribution over the net, sales were reportedly poor.

I, for one, dropped the cash on the standard fare - I believed the series was worth my hard-earned cash. But I'm not inclined to spend double or more for tiny plastic figures or other omake.

My anime collection has grown, but I will admit I have never been a blind buyer - everything I own was originally seen through bootleg, friend, or fansub.

My sight is set on Death Note next, but 9-10 DVDs is a large investment for a 37 episode series so it will take some thought.

Like recent television, there are maybe one or two anime titles I find worth watching a year. The fact that companies are at the same time licensing well beyond that number shows that anime's soar in popularity may not be a positive thing. Not everything to come out of Japan is a golden treasure to place on a pedestal. Until that is learned and things level out we may have to wait until things level out and return to that uniqueness and style that we all fell in love with years ago, if they do at all.

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

thankfully there are weeaboo's wandering around to keep the few anime companies in business >.> we got a kid in our mall that wanders around dresses in a naruto headband since the toys and show started here. i've wanted to smack him with something heavy for awhile.

i honestly can't think of the last anime i've bought. recently got a collective soul and pink flyod cd. been up on nails. and ripping my stuff onto my computer to annoy the husband with. (noise while playing on his computer annoys him lol. well, music while gaming. i just turn the game music off...but i think that'll make him explode =p)

4. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

On the plus side, the recent downward spiral in anime popularity has reduced some prices. I remember when a VHS of EVA cost like 25 bucks if you got it subtitled, now you can get the entire series on amazon for $45.

Which I had to do. I've been wanting to own EVA for years and just never got around to it. I guess I at least have that.

5. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

There's one thing that will always remain a constant- Japan will always make Anime, which means Americans will always be there fansubbing it.

If the market seems crappy right now it's because it's saturated with overpriced, terrible anime series. With time it'll level out and the sellers will figure out the best prices for the best anime titles. Until then we just have to ride the storm (if you're into DVDs that is).

~W

6. artemis836

Who knows, maybe this will turn the anime-fandom world into a group of people who will do anything to get their hands on the next few episodes of a great series or of a translation of a manga since they're practically unavailable in America. Buying fansubs off the internet and showing them in small groups or clubs. Downloading translations of manga still in japanese and going through and reading the whole book anyway, translation in hand.

Wait, that sounds familiar.

Its odd, anime seems to be suffering from Indie-Music syndrome. Its fun when no one knows about it, but then it gets popular and the market gets flooded and then it dies. But then the cycle repeats itself all over again.

7. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Just need a great series to come along. I think it will happen.

I should go and join that anime club at my college

8. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

On a side note, I'm liking Romeo x Juliet thus far. Then again, it's a Gonzo series.

I haven't been home to just chat in so long. :(

9. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Romeo x Juliet

Discuss!

~W

10. artemis836

I know nothing of such things? Is there some anime about it?

11. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

12. artemis836

Looks interesting. I'll have to give this a shot. Big fan of the original lol, so this could be good.