Movies your opinion actually matters now!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DaRk, Apr 28, 2004.

1. DaRk

DaRk New Member

i am an english student seeking opinions from real, non professional reviewers.
    if you have seen "Grave of the Fireflies" or "Spirited Away" your opinion will be genuinely appreciated.
    BUT if you have an opinion on anime overall, post a reply anyway. but please, nothing small and common like 'its good' because that just pisses me off.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

GotF is incredibly powerful. When I first saw it, I had to keep the mute on since it was late, and I was stuck with one of the smallest tv screens that isn't handheld, and yet I was still moved to tears by the end.

SA, despite having been in my possession for about as long as its divx has been around, has not been watched by me yet.

Edit: I'd write more, but time is an issue atm. As for non-professional reviews I've done, I have a couple reviews up on anime-fu.

3. Shenlong

Shenlong New Member

I have to agree that "Grave of the Fireflies" is extremely moving. Its really not for the type who are into those deep and sorta harsh movies that depict the reality of things. But, for anybody else, its an anime movie classic.

Its the same deal with "Spirited Away". Except replace the "extremely moving" with "has such an interesting storyline". I mean, right from the beginning, I was into what was going on to this girl and interested what was going to happen next. It might not be as serious or tragic as "Grave of the Fireflies", but it still holds that "classic anime movie" title for me.

4. DaRk

DaRk New Member

theres something about hollywood, or most movies in fact, that they are unable to portray. Be it the emotion felt only by a fictional creation, or the way the picture is created, that anime is only able to portray.
    it almost seems that after watching anime, as very evident in EVANGELION (if noone has seen it i suggest you get OFF YOUR RUMP!!!) that the viewer comes away from watching, having learned something deeply emotional, or something about life.

it may just be me though.
    does anyone agree\disagree??
    P.S. how do i get a CUSTOM avatar working???

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I very much disagree; there are plenty of non-anime movies and shows that have incredibly potent imagery in them; and in turn plenty of anime that fails utterly.

For example, Babylon 5 has some of the most stunning visuals I've ever borne witness to, despite its age. Watch Londo as the Narn homeworld is bombarded for example.

Another example is Gladiator. I still get chills when I watch the opening battle scene and the music rings in my ears.

For anime that fails utterly to stir me, we have, for example, Angel Cop.

That function is currently disabled.

By the way, it amuses me that you missed the sticky that said "This is NOT an anime movie forum" in this part of the boards.

6. DaRk

DaRk New Member

hmmm, good argument. ive never seen babylon 5 so i cannot relate to such imagery you are talking of. HOWEVER, the gladiator scene i can, its scenes and ambience etc, etc that get movies like them oscars!
    i guess its just the movies these days, or the lax on my behalf on seeing such movies as LOTR and monster, of which are criticlly( :sweat: ) acclaimed.

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Well come now, I'm sure if you caught the same exposure to anime as you did movies you would see a lot of rancid crap too. ;)

Anyway as far as B5 goes, it's one of the few shows whose villians have genuinely made me feel frightened.

8. halo

halo New Member

i thought the movie spirited away was awesome. i watched 3 times in one day. i think it is a beautiful story. i cant get over how beautiful some of the pictures are. i watched it with my little brother,who is 4, he was scared of the monster, noname. on the whole, it was an excellent film, one of the best that i have ever scene

9. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

I LOVED Spirited away. It was kinda moving, it had adventure, it had magic, and a little bit of love. I loved it, I really did! :sweat2: