Saber Marionette 10 millenia?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, Apr 24, 2003.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Crown Prince Shaohei makes an address in the beginning of J to X episode 17, commemorating Xian's "10th millenium".

*scratches head for a moment*

Hold up, wouldn't that be 1000 years? And didn't the original six arrive 300 years ago? Xian would have to be less than 300 years old in that case.

So what exactly are they commemorating?

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

actually, ten millennia would be 10,000 years.

that's a long ways before just about anything. Maybe they are counting from some mythical beginning of China..

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yeah, I missed a zero. Would you believe me if I said I intended it to be there? :p

Hmm...as for the origin thought, that seems to be where things point. Time for yet another obsessive BMS research project!

4. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Actually....

Don't you remember JAgain?

Where Faust speaks of an archaeologist that discovered ancient writing... of about 10,000 years.

And 10,000 years is (if I remember right) the period between plasma cataclisms on Terra II.

SO......

maybe Xian was founded on the ruins of an ancient city. Who knows?

The point is... Terra II wasn't an artificial planet. Maybe it was a normal planet with an athmosphere unable to hold human life... what was artificial was the ATMOSPHERE conditioning system - like the ones used on mars on other sci-fi series.

HMMmmmmmmmmmm this makes things interesting... how about adding magic to the SMJ world? (Ancient world :) that'd be cool.

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

If the point were pivoted to reflect on not only considering Xi'an's existence on Terra II, but also on Earth, maybe we could work out exactly how far into the future SMJ takes place.

My history's too fuzzy, so I may have to research this further. But does anyone have a date (or approximation thereof) of our Xi'an's founding?

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

7. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Ahh, yes, I remember finding Xi'an on the map a while back. I was like "Cool!" and stuff. :rolleyes:

But, 10 millenia from that point... That would put SMJ too far into the future. ~5000AD You remember, near the beginning, Ieyasu told Otaru that the Mesopotamia left Earth around the midpoint of the 22nd century, right? That would be around 2150 AD. And it's 300 years later when SMJ finally starts, so it would occur around the year 2450 AD.

There you go. My answer to the question. Now, I'm going back to bed. Need sleep...

8. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

So we still have a time paradox...

Then again, a year is really one rotation of a planet around a sun, right? Mercury has a really short year compared to us while Pluto has an obscenely long one. Who's to say Terra Two doesn't have a much shorter year than ours? At the start of SMJ it says three hundred years, but are they talking about Earth Years or Terra Two Years? If that were the case then in SMJ (which takes the course of one year in Terra II terms) would have happened in a much shorter timespan than one might have otherwise assumed.

...or maybe they really were talking about the ancient civilization of Xi'an. Also, who's to say that evidence hadn't come up in that timeframe in the future that might have pointed to Xi'an being formed at an even EARLIER time.

Or Iunno... I'm outta verbage... Need sleep.

9. Reisti Skalchaste

Well, considering the original six did come from Earth, and clearly couldn't have been in orbit around Terra II for long enough to determine the length of it's year, I would presume they would be speaking in terms of Earth years. (Besides, that makes it easier for us fans to understand, too) Although I realize it is possible to determine the length of a planet's year without actually seeing it from space, I doubt that they would be worried about it. In the beginning, at least. At that point, they were likely more concerned about surviving.

10. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

I totally agree with Darukii-sama. Even in pre-historic ages, the humans were able to determine the lenght of the year, at least an aproximation. So, in Terra II it's a matter of a few years to determine it with the technology that the six had.

And it is important. Think in the weather, harvests, animal migrations, and, who knows, plasma seasons :D :p

11. Reisti Skalchaste

Well, than it's probably very likely that the orbit of Terra II would be very similar, if not equal, orbit, to Earth. Why would the creators confuse the fans by doing anything different? Sure, the years coould be 1 day, they could be 1000 days, but, I think, that Terra II's years would be 365, if, for nothing else, then for simplicity's sake.

12. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Why would the fans be confused?
    Any story that doesn't make it's viewers/readers to think is not a very worth one. Anyway, out there are fans that don't even care about this, and also other fans that question themselves and post in forums ;)

13. Reisti Skalchaste

Why would fans be confused? Well, why are we discussing the length of Terra II's years? Because we're not sure. In other words, we're confused.

Of course it's a (relatively) unimportant question, but we've got to talk about something, right?

14. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Right, I already answered my question: If fans confuse, they can go to forums and ask :)