Art 10-minute sketch...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Shadowbard, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

...if that. I drew this while waiting for my little brother to finish killing things in Starcraft. I'm looking for opinions, critiques, etc. on it. He doesn't have a name and I have no clue who he is. He's just a random guy.

I don't draw very often, so I really need to practice more.

~Anki

Attached Files:

2. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Hey, not bad .. !

I like it !

3. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

ahh, nice work, I like the hair. I might suggest practicing on faces and symmetry, but I'm not an art teacher... so take the comment with caution... UK is an Engineer, I use computers to draw straight and squiggly lines...

Keep going! do more!

-UK

4. Shadowbard

I drew a few more things last night as well and figured I might as well post them for your viewing....something. I don't know if it would be pleasure or not. ^_^;

At any rate, here they are. This first one took me about ten minutes. The eyes are a bit weird, and....yeah.

Attached Files:

5. Shadowbard

And this is the third thing I drew last night. I was practicing eyes, so just...ignore the eye in her hair. I didn't feel like erasing it (it turned out really good!) and it isn't too much of a problem.

~Anki

Attached Files:

6. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

hmm...interesting...keep practicing...the eyes get better thro the progression of pics posted...tho the last one, the eyes still look odd...and i'm not sure why...i think it may be the spacing...or that they're too close to the sides of the face...tho, they may just be too big for the head size drawn...remember, they may be the focal point(i make funny. you laugh now.) but they don't have to be emphasized through size. it should be through the emotioin shown in them. i hate proportion as much as anyone else, but hey, keep a working on it.

[end criticism...constructive of course]

7. Shadowbard

Yeah, I've noticed that I tend to draw my eyes too close to the sides of the head and/or too far apart. I'm practicing though!

*guilty look* I went out and bought myself a sketch book and some nicer pencils today, and started doodling. The result is cute, but has the same eyes-too-close-to-sides-of-head problem as some of my other stuff.

*ponders* Maybe I could call it a stylistic thing.....^_^

~Anki

Attached Files:

8. Kat

Kat New Member

When you draw eyes, start by drawing just one, and then the other eye should be one eye width away, take your fingers, measure how big the eye is, and stick one of them between it, that's how far apart they should be. The eyes should also be AROUND half an eye width away from the side of the head, these are just proportion rules though sometimes it looks better when you don't follow them, it all depends.

9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

yeah the rule varies abit depending on the angle and all..it still looks good...but the eyes are deff too far apart there...just keep working on eyes alone...once you get the space in the middle down, it's easier to work on the space from the sides.*^-^*

10. Zanza

Staff Member

I love them !! But whats with the 3rd eye in the 2nd random girl?? :sweat:

11. thunder dragon

thunder dragon dragon king

good pics..just keap up the hard work & you will sort the eye problem..
    the eyes are getting better in each pic ..good luck ;)

12. Shadowbard

Eh heh heh....I was practicing eyes on that paper, you see. I drew the Slayers-esque eye first, then I drew the narrower eye beneath it second. I decided I wanted to see if I couldn't make the eyes more or less symmetrical, the same size, style, etc. (I've had a real problem with that for a long time).

I tend to want to complete things after I start them, so once I had the two eyes, I had to draw the face and the hair....and, well, the first eye I drew was in the way. Didn't want to erase it though 'cause it most likely wouldn't have erased cleanly or anything like that.

~Anki

13. thunder dragon

thunder dragon dragon king

ok..whay dont you tray this:
    draw the border of the face with light pencil first ,then tray to draw the eyes & tray to mack the eye size fit the face you draw then draw the hair ...;)

14. Zanza

Staff Member

I seeeeee..:sweat:

So.. have you done more yet?