Psychology A child's mind.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peachy, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

I've always been fascinated by a child's (teenager, infant, etc.) mind. A child is so open to everything from age 1-19. Everything that happens to them could change who they are. Let's say a kid grew up in a family where the father hit the mother. Most adults now that I know (including my father) were angry in their older age. If there is alot of anger/fighting/leaving in the place they grow up in then most likely they will be a angry person the rest of their lives. No therapy can rid them from the visions they seen in their adolescence.

Something else that's more simple. School days. Let's say the kid is bullied or didn't really have any friends. They would grow used to being alone and probaly wouldn't be easy to get to know because they wouldn't know how to start a conversation. If they were bullied they'd be scared to say anything in fear that someone may say something to hurt them.

What my theory is..is that mabye the reason we have kids seeking desperate attention and being what everyone calls "emo" might not have been given enough attention by kids their age or by their parents. So they seek empathy from other people. Hmm. I don't know. I just think whatever happens to you or how you were raised is who you are. Opinions?

1 person likes this.
  2. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Part of your theroy seems to be right. I was bullied a bit as a kid, and also i hung out with some people that pobably weren't really my friends. Today i find myself a little bit awkwrad in socal situations, or i just get bored hanging around with them and wander off. I also find it increadably hard to start a conversation with complete strangers cause i have totally no idea what to say.
    That said i don't really feel as though i'm alone, even though i sometimes feel a bit more comfortable being on my own, and it seems that a lot of people seem to like me in general since most socal groups seem to welcome my company.

This is really just my veiw on things since it was one of the options decribed above and it seems to be pretty accurate.

3. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I was told that from birth to five years old the brain of a child is developing so it would make sense.

I believe how you were raised can define who you are. But you can always change if you try. It depends who wants to change really.

It is learning. We are not born with instructions. So to speak. So we learn by perceiving, by our parents, by society, and by any means we can.

The kids that are considered “emo” or “goth” or “whatever” do it because they are not just getting any attention. They do it to fit in. But that is what I think.

4. Ratty

Ratty New Member

There are people who use their past to excuse their inability to examine and fix their flaws, and there are people who try to improve themselves and endure through whatever happens. Hardship tends to produce the worst and best people, in my experience. I don't believe environment causes any non-physical problem that can't be fixed by someone who has the strength to see it, accept that it does exist, and try to fix it. The problem is, most people simply ignore it, and then bring up their past as a screen whenever it is brought up to them.

1 person likes this.