Creative Writing A Fanfic...

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by Dante, May 11, 2004.

1. Dante

Dante New Member

The Turks: A Final Fantasy VII Fanfic

Okay... now I'm sure you all know that I never seemed to be a big fan of Final Fantasy VII... in fact, I'm sure everyone thought they knew that I hated it.. and, for the most part, I guess you can say that was right... moreso I hate the way it's over-rated (especially 'cause Tacticz iz teh win, babay :p).

Anyways... when I saw that the Turks (namely Reno and Rude) were appearing in Advent Children, the short Final Fantasy VII film, I was.. well, rather excited. :p Gave me something to look forward to (and Tifa doesn't look like a brainless bimbo anymore). Only thing that could one-up it is even a short appearance in a flashback by Zack. :p Anyways... seeing that sparked my interest in FFVII again and I started to write a FFVII fanfic, starring who else but the Turks, post-game. Of course, as you read, you can easily see that there will be a lot of speculation, etc. and as it's really delving into the characters' thoughts even some incorrect information (after all, we, as the player, know everything, however that does not mean that the characters do).

It has been.. ages since I've played this game and since I had started this I decided that when I get a moment I will go back and play through, so any mistakes in the writing will be corrected as promptly as possible and feel free to drop me a comment about some detail of the game I might have screwed up or missed (taking into account what I said about speculation and delving into thoughts of the characters).

Anyways, this is really... as far as I can remember, my first fanfic and I found it hard to try and match the characters as they were portrayed in the game, but text can only do so much so I tried to establish a bit more of a character to each one, one how I remember them seeming, to me, while I played through the game (Reno being a bit more foul-mouthed though cool and calm, most of the time, but can get riled up. Rude being rather montone and drone and for the most part quiet and calm. Elena being... well... I saw her as being more ignorant and ditsy, but she means well, and needless to say they all look out for each other).

One thing that really inspired my to write a story about the Turks (NOT THIS WILL BE A SLIGHT SPOILER) is one of parts later in the game, when you have your final meeting with the Turks; an optional battle, where Reno says that Shin-Ra is dead and that he has no beef with Cloud and Co., but if he wanted to fight, he would. That just sorta stuck out in my mind.

I hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment...

(NOTE: This is not complete)

~ ~ ~

<Currently Untitled>
    by Matthew "Mattykins" Hage

The red-haired man stared blankly at the ceiling of the cozy inn room, resting his bones upon the comfortable mattress of one of the only two beds held within. Lazy green eyes watched the stillness of the oaken wood, a lit cigarette resting limply between his lips, an orange ring dancing about it, closer and closer to the filter as the paper and crushed tobacco were burnt to ashes. Another man, a much taller man, stood by the door with his arms crossed, as tall as the door way, his head completely shaven with a light dusting of hair running along his jawline and over his lip, under his nose, to make a growing beard and mustache, a thick layer of hair growing into a goatee upon his chin. Cold dark eyes were hidden behind black voids of dark glasses, rather plain, thin glasses. The woman of the trio seemed to be the only one mildly aware of their surroundings, brown, red-hued eyes glancing back and forth amongst the two man, the red-head seeming off in his own little world and the bald man void of any emotion or feeling. She let out a sigh, a hand reaching up to push a few strands of her styled blonde hair behind her ear. She had remembered, when she first joined The Turks, how she needed to have her long hair cut. At first, she thought it was silly, especially after she had met Tseng and Reno, but she didn't argue. She liked it the way it was now, neatly styled and parted, more towards the left side, the blonde strands tucked back away behind her ear while the right side hung lower, poast her chin and into the path of her right eye, the strands growing shorter as they reached her earlobe.

Like the two men, she was dressed nicely in a navy-blue suit and a white button-up dress shirt, the collars flicked down neatly and a black tie to round off the neat look. Though, the coats for the suits were zippered, not buttoned. Her shoes, naturally, were different, more feminine, still a black leather dress style only coming with a two-inch high thick heel. They laughed at her about it, the other two men and even Tseng, though she adapted to the new style quickly, enough to do her job at least. She almost jumped as she heard a noise coming from the door way, her gaze quickly jerking to see what it was, small, plain red bead earrings glistening lightly in the dim lamp-light of the inn room.

It was the taller of her two male companions, Rude. He wore the same style of dress as she, a navy blue suit with black tie and white button down shirt, are neatly worn, with his shaved head and facial hair and countless glittering silver earrings pierced through both of his ears, lining the edge of them. Always holding a straight face, you couldn't even see his eyes with his dark glasses, glasses that only he and Reno seemed to don as she had never worn them and never remembered Tseng having them. She soon realized that the sound being made was coming from, more specifically than Rude, his hands. His fists. One gloved hand tightly clenched into a fist, to be more precise, with the other hand over it, the palm of his hand pressing against his fingers and knuckles to make a series of loud cracking and popping noises. He switched hands, and continued.

Her gaze shifted over back to the other man, the red-haired man, Reno. She actually started to see realization and acknowledgement in his face as it scrunched with annoyance, the bridge of his nose wrinkling, each time he heard Rude pop his knuckles. Though, he stopped with his knuckles, and had proceeded to go on doing a similiar process to his fingers to get an almost exact sound from the appendages. Reno was... well... she thought of a way to put it. Reno seemed to be higher up on the scale than both herself and Rude. The first time she actually got to know Reno, and to work with him and speak with him, was after the incident at the Midgar Plate, when he had gotten injured by the members of a terrorist group calling themselves AVALANCHE. God only knows what it meant, she told herself. At that time, Reno was a more care-free person. He was cool and laid-back, and cared nothing more than to finish his job, but finish it right. Though the more she worked with him she realized the only thing that might've interfered with that would have been the well-being of herself and Rude, as well as Tseng.

Though it's too late for Tseng, she thought solemnly.

"Can you knock that off?" Reno muttered, slowly shifting, swinging his feet over the edge of the bed and pushing to his feet, ashes and the lit nub of the cigarette falling to the ground, soon to be snuffed out by Reno's black dress shoes. Like the others, Reno dressed in a navy blue suit but he was... well, less presentable was the term Elena used when in the company of Rude and Tseng. His pants were the right width, but they were obviously a bit to long as they bunched up slightly near his ankles and he only bothered to button the white shirt part of the way, and the coat he left open. In fact, she thought, of all the time that she had been with the Turks, which really wasn't even that much, she had never seen Reno dressed in a proper manner like herself or Rude or Tseng. Reno's hair was long, a mixture of different shades of reds spiked up messily atop his head with the back tied into a thin ponytail that spanned almost the entire length of his back.

"If we had something to do, maybe he wouldn't be sitting there making that noise," Elena found herself saying, though quickly bit a hand over her mouth as if she regretted saying it.

"Well we don't have anything to do," Reno replied, almost too calmly, pulling a pair of dark glasses from his coat pocket. They were dark, like Rude's, only more stylish with thin rims and all, something expected for someone like Reno to wear. He opened them and slid them on, only to slide them up to rest atop his head. "Shin-Ra ****ed us, and they ****ed us hard. We're out of an employer now."

"If Tseng were here -" Elena started.

"Tseng's not here, though," Reno said, in the same cool, laid-back tone. "Tseng's dead, hon, and he ain't coming back. Shin-Ra ****ed us and Shin-Ra got him killed." As much as he tried to mask it, Elena could hear the contempt held within the red-haired man's voice.

"So that means now that you are in charge, Reno," Rude replied calmly in his deep, monotone voice.

Reno glanced from Rude to Elena, arching a brow before he shrugged helplessly and sighed, shaking his head. "Shin-Ra's dead, there ain't nothing left of them 'cept for Reeves. And Reeves is with that spikey-haired freak and big-beasted bimbo."

2. Dante

Dante New Member

"This all because of Cloud," Elena said, spitting the name out venomously.

"No," Reno said firmly, shaking his head. "Things have been going to **** and high-Hell since before that, probably even before that fat ****, Shin-Ra and that loser washed up scientist wanted us to go after that ***** of a flower girl. This is Shin-Ra's fault, haven't you guys been listening to me? Shin-Ra ****ed us!"

"Do you realize what you are saying?" Rude asked.

"Are you saying Tseng was in on it too?" Elena chimed in.

Reno shook his head. "Who knows what Tseng was thinking? But after that washed up SOLDIER, Cloud, got involved, they had us hunting after Sephiroth. But Tseng was still after that flower girl. We were Shin-Ra's ****ing underlings, and Tseng probably damn well knew that fact," he said, changing his mind rather quickly.

"So... who were they really after?" Elena asked, confused.

"Whoever it was, don't really matter now... Shin-Ra's dead, the flower girl's dead, and Sephiroth's dead."

"And Tseng is dead," Elena added in quietly.

Reno nodded. "And ain't none of them coming back."

"We still haven't decided what we should do then," Rude said.

Reno shrugged his shoulders lightly, sauntering casually in the manner he always did, over towards the door. "I want to find out what the **** was so important about that Ancient and that ****ing cape-wearing psycho. You guys can go do whatever you want, drink yourselves into a stupor or get laid, I don't care." He pushed past Rude, opening the door and stepping out of the room to go leave the inn.

"And where are you going?" Elena called after him after rushing to the door.

"Where this all started, hon. Back in Nibelheim," Reno called, waving back over his shoulder. "Ciao."

"We should be after Cloud," Elena said to herself quietly. "Cloud Strife... he killed Tseng..."

"Maybe... maybe not..." Rude replied in the cryptic way he had of doing, glancing down to her from his towering position. He shrugged his shoulders and stepped out to follow after Reno and with a sigh, Elena pursued.

3. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

A good beginning! Can't wait to see more come out! I like the way that the Turks are thinking. They don't really show much about the Turks' thoughts in FFVII, so I'm glad that you've decided to focus your fic on 'em.

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

It's pretty cool, I guess. The writing's there. However, for all the character description, their actions just drop off all of a sudden.

There's implied action, but we're not really seeing how Rude and Reno and Elena react differently. And I think that's a major part of the Turks, if you're looking into character development.

But, I really might not know what I'm talking about.

5. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

*Eyes glaced on the screen*What the **** was that?! It was so good!! Man, I liked it! IT WAS BETTER THAN CAIT SITHS BIG BREAK!!! This is going to your karma.

6. Dante

Dante New Member

An Update

(NOTE: I apologize beforehand about not going into detail about the description of the city of Junon.. maybe if I get time I will)

"What the **** is this ****?" Reno swore loudly.

The trio had arrived at Junon, finally, thanks to a passing-by truck-driver. They owed them as his vehicle saved them the trouble of walking all the way to the reconstructed port city. Unfortunately for the driver, once he gained consciousness he'd have to walk to Junon himself just to get his vehicle back. Though that wasn't their concern at this point. What was their concern was the fact that the city seemed to be under some sort of martial law, sapphire blue uniformed soldiers littering the whole area, carrying rifles close to their chests, complete with bayonets. The purpose of their presence was obviously to cause some form of uneasiness as the people that walked by purposely kept their distance from the men who stood like statues.

"Shin-Ra Soldiers," Elena murmured, lifting a hand to her mouth as she gazed on in a confused awe.

"Much more disciplined than when Rufus took over," Rude said flatly in reply to Elena's statement.

"What in the Hell are they doing here?" Reno muttered through clenched teeth, a mix of confusion and frustration taking over him. "Shin-Ra's dead."

"Not as dead as we thought, apparently," Rude replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

Their little conversation was soon disrupted, however, as a small group of soldiers, four of them, made their way threateningly towards the trio. "State your business here," one of them said through the face-mask, his voice deep and muffled.

"Funny, I was just about to ask you the same thing," Reno replied casually, having to tilt his head up to look up to whom appeared to be the lead soldier as he was a great deal taller than he, seeming even a match for Rude. The Turk tongued the inside of his cheeks thoughtfully, causing the symmetrical scars upon his cheeks to seem to stretch out as he did so.

The soldier adjusted the grip on his rifle before another leaned over his shoulder and whispered something to him. The taller man turn to look at the lesser soldier before turning his head back to the trio. "It is you," he finally said. "Hmph. We are going to have to take you into custody."

"Under who's orders?" Elena demanded.

"Under President Shin-Ra's orders. If you resist, we will use force."

Reno snorted. "Force? Rude, show these *****s something about using force."

The bald man didn't have to be told twice and it seemed almost as if he didn't even have to be told once as even as Reno was speaking, Rude acted. His fist jerked out suddenly in a jab, connecting with a lesser soldier's face, the breaking of cartilidge loud, even through the mask, causing his head to jerk back. All three of the other soldiers reacted almost immediately, the first of which Rude dealt with, his other hand reaching up to grab his chin roughly.

"Kill 'em!" Rude heard Reno order and with a quick jerk and flick of his wrist, the soldier's head twisted into some horrible distortion as the snapping of the top of the spinal column rung out like church bells among his kin's ears. Elena and Reno reacted at the same time. The other lesser soldier lifted his rifle to aim for the current threat; Rude. The young woman's hands lifted, palm pressed to the back of the other, palm facing the soldier. A bright emerald green shimmering shone from up her sleeve, a wind fluttering to show a band holding multiple small spheres, one of the spheres in particular having a bright glow to it. The man's gun was the first to ignite into flames and he panicked, dropping the weapon as he tried to stomp out the flames. Then, his uniform went up, causing him to start screaming before the gunpowder of the loaded bullets into the gun went off, exploding and shooting shrapnel all around, the explosion and some of the plastic pieces striking the soldier, the other pieces flying off without obvious harm to others; the soldier was knocked back, the front of his uniform and his flesh charred, bleeding from the sharp, piercing shards.

Reno took the larger member of the group, bringing his knee up, hard, into the man's groin, causing him to drop his weapon and bend over in pain. Digging his fingers into the cloth back of the man's mask, he proceeded to lift his knee while simultaneously bringing the soldier's face down into his knee, over and over again, the sound of the front of his skull cracking and cartilidge snapping ever-so-pleasantly sound before Reno pushed him to the ground. He stood over the injured man and lifted his leg, slamming his foot down, hard, onto the soldier's throat, repeatedly, over and over again, crushing his throat. And, as if it weren't enough, Reno leaned down, taking the man by each side of the head.

"We don't take orders from Shin-Ra anymore," he said, spitting in the face-mask before snapping the man's neck with a quick jerk of his hands.

Civilians were screaming at this point, jerking fingers in the direction of the Turks to bring other soldiers' attention towards them. The sound of combat boots rung out as they struck the concrete ground, a large group of soldiers without anything to set them apart besides body-size which even such was hardly noticable, surrounded them on all sounds, their rifles level and ready to fire.

"Do.. do you think we can take them all on?" Elena asked Reno and Rude quietly with a nervous chuckle.

"Hey, I ain't got no beef with dying. How 'bout you two?"

"Well, I kind of like --"

"No. We don't," Rude interrupted Elena to answer for both of them as the young woman whimpered, cowering back from the group, closer in to her two partners.

"There will be no need for that," a voice from beyond the crowd of soldiers which slowly parted to make way for a tall, thin man, shoulder-length dark brown hair slicked back and ending in a slight curl outwards. He was dressed in a black suit, neatly ironed, with a red silk button-up collared shirt under it and a black tie, a white coat with black fur lining the collar and cuffs of the sleeves resting upon his shoulders. The butt of a dragon-head cane set upon the ground, both of his hands resting atop the brass dragon bust decorating the top, though it didn't appear as if he needed the cane, as if it were simply more for decoration than anything.

"And just who the Hell are you?" Reno asked, seeming genuinely uninterested as he eyed the pale-skinned man who grinned sickeningly at him, looking through drained blue eyes.

"I am President Shin-Ra. I own the Shin-Ra corporation now."

"Rufus Shin-Ra was the last heir to the corporation," Rude said, his deep voice rising above Reno's as he tried to say something. "Rufus died, as did everyone in the Shin-Ra corporation."

"That, my friend, is all in the past," the man said, slowly rising his hands up, making sure to keep the coat on his shoulders. "Look around you. Shin-Ra Corporation... is back in business."

Reno hadn't taken notice of the town in particular, really. His main concern was upon all of the soldiers and he could only assume that Elena and Rude had the same mindset. The town looked like how it did before, when Rufus came. After President Shin-Ra died, and his snot-nosed punk brat son took over, Reno thought to himself. Flyers and banners flooding the area, bright red and crimson with the Shin-Ra name written in some bastardized version of some symbolic language. Something the former President made up to make the company look better or something, Reno thought.

"And I regret to inform you that you... all... have been replaced," the man added with an almost proud smile and a triumphant tilt of his head, his chin lifting. A gloved hand slowly lifted, a black leather glove, and his fingers gave a snap. The soldiers retreated back to their posts and civilians had finally begun to calm down, although they remained uneasy and watching, wary.

Reno scoffed, skeptical and cynical. "You can't replace us."

"I can, and I have. In fact... your replacements are doing some work for me, right now. Over in Nibelheim."

Nibelheim? Reno thought. What could they possibly want in Nibelheim? It didn't take for it to dawn on him. The very same thing that he was seeking on his way over there. "Well then," Reno said with a sigh, reaching into the inside breast pocket of his coat, "I suppose we will have to go see how our replacements are doing, hm?"

7. Dante

Dante New Member

In one swift motion, a small reinforced plastic rod was pulled from the inside of Reno's coat and in the same motion with a flick of his wrist, it extended in a tower-effect out into a metallic nub which found itself coming in contact with the man's chest, sending jolts of electricity throughout his body. He shuddered and began thrashing violently, his eyes rolling into the back of his head as he began to salivate hideously. Shouts of the soldiers and civilians once more overwhelmed the cries of pain the man began to make and Reno ceased, stepping back for Rude to grab the man. A powerful arm around the man's upper body, hugging his arms to him while the other hand moved up to grip his chin. Just as the soldiers aimed their guns at the trio, Reno brought the crackling nub of the rod dangerously close to the man's face.

"Go ahead, pull the ****ing trigger. Give me just one reason to kill this son of a *****," Reno said with a confident smirk, knowing the soldiers wouldn't jeopardize their leader like that.

No soldiers made a move, so Reno did first, slowly inching away from them, with Elena following and Rude holding the unconcious man. "Rude, you remember where the air-port is, right?" Reno asked. Rude only nodded in reply. "Good. Go." Rude and Elena hurried off, Rude taking the man with him. Reno stayed behind however, eyeing the soldiers, the rod held out defensively. He slowly started moving to follow his companions. "Go ahead. Shoot me," he taunted. "When that big lug you saw dragging away your leader? He sees I'm not up there in a couple minutes, he'll snap that bastard's neck like a twig. Go ahead. Try me." All the while Reno slowly walked away from them and step after step, they pursued, their weapons never faltering. "Ciao."

Reno was familiar with the area of Junon from when Rufus had a parade and his acceptace as President televised there and he knew the quickest route to the airport, turning and running, the sound of boots striking the ground as the soldiers were in hot pursuit of him. The airport was massive, just as he remembered it and just as he remembered before, airships were held within. Almost carbon copies of that washed-up drunk of a pilot's airship, Reno told himself. He only hoped Rude or Elena were familiar with flying something like this. They were waiting for him, just off to the side of the airship on the far end of the airport.

"Hurry! Get on, start the piece of **** up!" Reno yelled to them as he ran down along the airport, the soldiers in pursuit, some stopping and crouching, leveling their aim and let loose with firing their rifles. Thankfully to those, Reno was far enough that their aim was bad enough and his constant moving away from them easily made his targeted legs not a very good choice as targets. Elena was the first one to get on board of the airship, hurrying onto the bridge and to the control panel, pressing random buttons that caused propellers to turn and then stop and then turn again and as Reno saw this, he couldn't help but get the feeling that the three of them were going to die out here.

She started to slam her fists on the control panel mercilessly in frustration. "Come on, come on, work, work, work!" she cried out before Rude popped up behind her with the man still in his arms. Reaching out, a gloved hand pressed several buttons and pulled a few select levers and once more the propellers started to turn and whirl rapidly.

Well I'll be damned, Reno thought. He reached the airship and hurried up the walkway onto the bridge. "Hurry, get us out of here!" Rude was still working the controls as the airship started to lift off. Reno pushed the rod back together into one piece, depositing it into his coat pocket again rather calmly and casually. He strolled over, whistling as he took the man who called himself Shin-Ra from Rude and brought him to the railing. The soldiers positioned themselves, all guns focused upon Reno and with an impish grin, the red-haired man pushed Shin-Ra over the edge of the railing into the crowd of soldiers and, in unison, Rude pulled a lever and the airship quickly took to the sky in such an abrupt motion that it threw Elena onto the ground and Reno had almost lost his footing, though he remained standing.

The sound of guns being fired rung out in rapid succession as bullets struck the exterior of the bottom of the airship though didn't seem to do any damage. "I said get us out of here!" Reno said again, getting more frustrated now, but this time Rude complied with the request and the airship suddenly took enough, another motion that threw Elena to the ground again just after she had managed to get to her feet.

"Quick, move, move, move! Follow after them, don't let them get away!" one of the soldiers yelled as others began to pile into other airships, having less difficulty than Elena in controlling the machines before they took to the air. Several soldiers, however, stayed behind to carry the man off to safety.

Back on the hijacked airship, which was moving more steadily now, Reno leaned forward, resting his arms against the railing as he gazed at the sea below them while Elena watched the port they left and the airships taking off to pursue them. "Think we're going to be able to get away?" Elena asked nervously.

"Hey, we've lived this far, eh? Don't see why we can't do it again," Reno said casually with a smirk, pulling a pack of cigarettes and a lighter from the inside of his coat.

~ ~ ~

I'll be out for the weekend so might not get another update until around Tuesday at the earliest. Read, comment (please? ;_;) and enjoy.

8. Paranoid Trooper

Damn that was good! I loved it! It was the best! IT RULED!

9. Spiggy

Spiggy Freak of Nature

:eek: very good stuff indeed

small tip - use some shorter sentences in action scenes to get across the adrenalin and excitement, and you might want to descirbe body language a bit more to convey emotions and feelings.

but brilliant work so far!! hurry up with the next part ;)

10. soundofsilence

soundofsilence New Member

Your story is very interesting, and you are a good writer. You might want to give your characters a little more depth (Elena and Rude in particular are somewhat one-dimensional), but your overall story is very good. I can't wait for the rest of it.

1 person likes this.
  11. Spiggy

Spiggy Freak of Nature

Hey Amon, where's the rest of this story?! people dying to know the rest of it here!

12. NoDa

NoDa New Member

^I agree! Keep, writing! It's very good!

13. Paranoid Trooper

Why haven't you written anything in here for a while!?! That fanfic ruled and still does! Write! Please?

14. LiLd3vil4u

LiLd3vil4u New Member

Hey mate, your work is quite brilliant so far. However I imagine I am not the only one eager to hear more of the story. So get crackin' before you readers die from anticipation.^^

15. Paranoid Trooper

I'm sad to tell you this, but they're already dead... Or then they were just faking it so they could get rid of me... *looks around suspiciously* I think that the last one was right...