A question, or two...

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Zarathos, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Zarathos

Zarathos Guest

I am only recently rediscovering my own Gatchamania, having watched (and, of course, adored) the show, as 'BotP' (yet, somehow, never even knowing of the show when it was redubbed, some years later, as 'G-Force'... Must not have aired on any channels, where I lived), and even caught a few episiodes of 'Eagle Riders' (very few, however, considering that I am Canadian, and had to pay the extra bucks to subscribe to the WB stations to see them)... No matter how the poor members of the Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman team must be suffering from multiple personality disorders, etc, I still wanted to witness one of my beloved childhood series, again, no matter what the format. Hence, during my search for Gatchaman-related information, I stumbled upon this site, finding those anime trailers... For the year 2k?! At first, I thought 'SUGEI!'

However, downloading, or even opening and viewing, these trailers have proven to be both disconcerting and frustrating. It seems as though every time I try to open, or download, these trailers, I am constantly being disconnected. Fine. I reconnect, and resume the download, only to get disconnected, again. The process goes on, downloading a little bit more of the trailer, each time. Pretty dedicated, huh? Or, would I be just be bullheaded or stubborn? Possibly.

I was finally able to download, and subsequently view, the second trailer (the first of the two mpg versions). I must say, it looks VERY cool. I hope, beyond hope, that this might mean a brand-spanking-new Gatchaman series, sometime in the future. Although, the fact that these were apparently made, last year, and no new evidence has presented itself, recently, it looks doubtful. Let's hope that the producers are being excessively secretive. Hope springs eternal.

At any rate, the third trailer (second of the two mpgs) is proving to be far more frustrating, than the second. The same process as downloading the other trailer, is relentelssly occurring. At one point (after some quite tenacious download/disconnect/reconnect/resume download sequences), a window pops up, telling me the download was complete. I was ecstatic, thinking that my perseverance had finally paid off. Boy, was I wrong.

Upon attempting to view the mpg, it TOTALLY screwed up my Media Player, and, apparently, the rest of my computer as well. In other words, I had to execute a hard reboot, because I could not shut my computer down properly, as a result of this screw up. Once again, perseverance, as well as a burning desire to witnes this trailer, prodded me to attempt to view it again, in the vain hope that the earlier incident was a freak occurence of some sort.

Once again, I had proven myself wrong. I hate proving myself wrong.

Now that that lengthy explanation is complete, I can now ask: Is there something wrong with something in my system, internally, that is somehow causing this industrial strength headache? Or, could this particular file be inherently corrupt? If the former is true, can you suggest what the problem might be? If the latter is the case, can this be fixed on your end?

I have even tried downloading the 'complete' trailer (the mov format; just fyi), with similar constant disconnecting results. Well... I got too frustrated to keep reconnecting to see if this file could be viewed upon its' completion (On a sidenote, I don't do a lot of movie downloading. I also don't recall any other site giving this much a hassle, when attempting to download, either, tho).

In closing: I really, REALLY want to witness the other trailer, even if it's only a few seconds worth of Gatchaman... Does that denote me as a 'Gatchamaniac'? Oh well. If it does, so be it. I care not what others think of me, so long as they spell my name right.

Well, that's all I can think of, for now. Thank you for reading this tripe, and thank you, in advance, for your response (if any).

Zarathos

2. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Zara!

Very sorry to hear about the problems you've been having while trying to
    download the trailers -

Unfortunately they are just from a TV campaign for NTT, so I will change the
    description as it is very misleading.

I have moved these trailers to an alternative location - all I can say is that
    I (and others) have downloaded them without problems, perhaps the old server
    had problems for some people.

Try:

ftp://ftp.battleoftheplanets.net/

Hope this works!

John.
    --

3. Elvin Ruler

Elvin Ruler Guest

It could be that your version of Media Player is messed up, I had to download mine a couple of times to get it right. *shrugs* Hope that helps.

4. Zarathos

Zarathos Guest

I don't think that my version of Media Player is messed up, or anything. This particular phenomenon only seemed to occur with those particular files. But, thanks, just the same, for at leats trying to help, Elvin Ruler.

At any rate, I have /finally/ been able to download the .mov version of the anime adverts (Domo arigato, Jon-san! *bows*).

Now, then... After checking them out, I suddenly feel a burning need to pose this query: What do those NTT adverts have to do with Gatchaman? It doesn't even show the illustrious Dr. Nambu utilizing the superior quality of NTT's communications network to alert Gatchaman about the Gallactor's latest bid on world domination!

(DISCLAIMER: I cannot, in all honesty, make any actual claims, regarding the quality of NTT's service. I just know that each conglomerate is convinced of their own superiority over their competition, in their specific field, whatever that may be... 'Tis a dog eat dog world, neh?).

I suppose it'd be akin to celebrity endorsements, here in N. America. Has anybody seen a Dragonball Z/deodorant advert?