aaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by me_dreaming_zzz, Apr 7, 2004.

1. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

yesterday i borrowed RK dvd and instead of english dialogue i put a japanese dialogue on and i discovered that a female voice actor plays Kenshin :shy: . That was a huge shocker for me, not that i have anything against it..... But, i still cannot believe that Kenshin has a girlish voice:*( :blush2:

2. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

haha, yeah, but you have to admit that it suits him well :p

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

yep ^_^x;;; Suzukaze Mayo. very talented. she sings the second endng Namida Wa Shitteru.

4. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

That's one of the reasons I prefer to watch subs. Half the time, the English voiceactors sound nothing like the originals - either they do something completely different, or they try to mimic and end up sounding like they're trying way too hard. XD But there are some extremely talented female Japanese VAs who portray male characters - Takayama Minami is my personal favorite, but women in general have a very wide range of tone in their voices and it's not unrealistic that they should be able to play male characters. Kenshin isn't meant to have a deep voice - it wouldn't fit with his personality, for one, and he's also quite small and slender. I found the contrast of his looks, personality, and voice with his capabilities as a warrior quite striking. ^_^

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Call me crazy, but I hadn't realized it was a female seiyuu until I hit an extra insert that was included in my fansubs of a little performance of "Suzukaze Mayo and the Megs" that spelled it out for me...

Sure, he had that feminine quality sound to him, but he sounds male enough to me. :)

I'm not even willing to touch the RK dubs because of how frightful I think they will sound...voices give a lot of feeling to a character, and so many are so off when I hear their English dubbed counterpart.

What's the dub equivalent of "Oro?" while we're on this tangent? Don't tell me they settled for a "Huh?"...I can't see it having the same impact.

Kaoru's beautiful tonal voice, Sano's rolling tongue, Saitoh's sheer confidence portrayed...I'm so identified with each character, I couldn't possibly imagine comparing to any dub.

6. Chibi Sango

Chibi Sango New Member

Yea most characters are in girls voices. For YYH they thought that kurama was a girl and in the phillipeans and used a voice actor girl for his part, (sry but he does look like one :sweat2: ) by the time they found out that he was a guy they had to redo the whole series :sad: :bleed2: :sweat2: . and speaking of Kurama, do you know if Suzukaze Mayo does his voice too? My friends and i want to know. :anime:

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

for the most part, male actors in any language have a very set tone and its often very deep. so more female actresses are going to be used for males of Kenshin's size and stature.

8. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

but even if the guy is short it doesnt mean that he has to have girlish voice. The voice of an american actor who plays kenshin isnt deep at all, but still masculine enough to be a guys voice. i dont have anything against japanese female voice actor that plays kenshin, its just when i read the manga i never imagined kenshins voice being so feminine. :sweat2: