RPG Masquerade Act II: Of Soil and Stone

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BakaMattSu, Oct 2, 2006.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The journey did not take long to Karindorn, but the day was already well underway. When the small group arrived outside the outskirts of the mountain range village, it was early evening.

The elders had spoke as they walked, describing the area in detail, and everything they spoke of rang true upon seeing it come into view. Karindorn itself had been a towering set of lush mountains bridged by a narrow and fertile valley. Without its guardian's care, the rocky edges now jutted out painfully, naked and dead. The valley had become a dustbowl, and what was one a monument to life was now looking pale and starved.

Sticking out like a sore thumb was the village of Yita, which housed a small population of land farmers. However, the surrounding fields had taken on the look of the mountains - empty and infertile.

"This was once the most beautiful view the world had to offer," Lentis sighed. "Now I see nothing but depression."

"Elder Lentis," one of the other men spoke out. "Look at the outskirts. Imperial sentries."

A pair of men in unforms stood at attention, blockading the village.

"They've seen us by now," Lentis said, pulling a hood over his head and motioning for the other elders to do the same. He then turned back to the summoned ones. "It will look suspicious if we turn back. There shouldn't be any more resistance past this checkpoint. We'll follow in behind, but you do the talking."

After a moment of preparation, the group approached the city gate.

"Hold up, then." The left guard ordered calmly as he extended a hand palm forward. "Who are you, and what business do you have here?"

2. Trunks nodded to the elders and led the others towards the gate.

"Hold up, then." The left guard ordered calmly as he extended a hand palm forward. "Who are you, and what business do you have here?"

Trunks stepped forward and smiled.

"My name is Trunks and these are my commrades. We are but weary travelers and are simply looking for a place to sleep and perhaps a warm meal."

3. M-Izumi

M-Izumi Guest

Izumi stood poised and ready to attack when the situation called for her.

There was something unusual about this place.

'There's something unsual about this whole ordeal' she thought to herself as she watched Trunks speak to the guards.

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

As Trunks made his exchange of words, the guard on the right let his eyes shift over each of the others in turn. Izumi's hard stare bore into his eyes as they made their way over her, and his hand slowly moved to the sheath at his side in a way not to draw attention to it. It was only partway there before the voice of his comrade interrupted its course.

"You are all free to pass," he intoned with a hint of pomopusness. "Do keep in mind that you tread Imperial soil here and we will not tolerate disruptions of any kind. Be on your way, have your food, drink and rest in peace knowing the Empire watches over your safety."

Both guards stepped to either side to let the group pass.

"I know the innkeeper here in Lita," Elder Lentis said once they were out of earshot. "He'll look after us well."

Lentis, at the head of the pack brought them inside the fourth building from the gate, a large establishment that would have been homely were it not battered and aged from dust and heat.

The inside was not much more cheery. A small longue sported a number of embroidered chairs and a large layered skin couch. Upon the couch was strewn a sagging body of a man who lacked sensible grace. His clothing was raffled like that of one who has slept in it for days on end, his face had grown wild and unshaven, and the couch itself sagged and molded to his frame. His eyes were locked shut, but his mouth hung open in constrast, breathing noisily.

Past the man was a typical counter and guestbook, with a homely woman standing to attention to greet them.

"Carmina!" Lentis grinned at the sight of her. "I haven't seen you in several years. Why, you haven't changed a bit. Beautiful beyond comparison."

"Hush now," she responded, unable to suppress the embarrassment in her voice. "You always were a flattering old coot."

"There will time to properly flatter you later, my dear. Where's Canley? I have some remarkable people with me he has to meet."

All signs of happiness drained from Carmina's features leaving a saddened shell. "Canley's...passed on."

Lentis bit his lip. "I'm sorry, Carmina. When did this happen?"

"Several months ago. I'm afraid it's not something I'd like to dwell on right this moment. You all look tired, and if don't get you all some food and bedding you might just collapse there in the entryway. Come in, sit down and we'll get you some broth. Edna! Lewis!"

Carmina disappeared into the backroom calling out to her children as she movewd.

Lentis stood still for a moment before turning back to the group. He shuffled over to a chair, pausing briefly to steal another glance at the near lifeless man on the couch nearby. "Carmina should be back shortly. Let's take a seat until she returns."