ADV to release Gatchaman I on DVD!

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by BubTheZombie, May 18, 2004.

1. BubTheZombie

BubTheZombie New Member

You read right! Found this on the animenewsnetwork site. The Gatchaman news is mentioned only briefly, but here's is the portion copied from the article.

"Three new licenses for ADV films were announced. In addition to Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, and Peacemaker Kurogane (as “Peacemaker”), ADV will be releasing uncut the classic series Gatchaman. An edited version of Gatchaman ran on American television in the 1980’s as G-Force and Battle of the Planets. Episodes of G-Force and Gatchaman will also be airing on the Anime Network later in the year; the Gatchaman DVDs will be bilingual."

Obviously, this begs many questions, like does "bilingual" mean an alternate English dub, and if so which voice actors will be used? Will Gatch II and F follow? And what tact will Rhino take regarding any future BOTP releases, now that it appears the entire 105-spisode Gatch set will be released by ADV.

In any event, I can't wait! Wooo-hooooo!

Matty

PS: The whole aricle can be glimpsed at this link:

http://skuld.animenewsnetwork.com/convention.php?id=147

2. DevoVamp

DevoVamp New Member

Very, very cool! In the mean time, everyone please bow your heads and pray that the sub-titles will be better than the ones on the bootlegs that are out on ebay and what not.

And I'll pray that gatch II and F will be out, too!!!

Anybody know how to pray for all that in Latin? ;) :cool: :D

3. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

WHOO HOO!!!

I took Latin in high school, but all I remember is Bellum means war and sex means six!

I, too, hope these have English subtitles for the Japanese language option. It sounds like there will be an English language option as well. Please, for the love of God, keep the Japanese names. Don't do what was done for the OAV dubs. I haven't seen it in a long time, even though I own it, but didn't they cal Ryu Rocky? and Berg Katse was Selaris, or something like that? YUCK!!!

4. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

<shakes head sadly>

Ill believe it when I see it.

(sorry for being such a cynic)

5. Meridian

Meridian New Member

I wonder what's happening with Rhino's releases then?

But I'm really looking forward to legitimate subtitled Gatchaman. If this does indeed come off, then I shall have legit UK releases of BOTP and a legible legit release of Gatch.

6. DevoVamp

DevoVamp New Member

Hehehe, my personal favorite when it comes to goofy name changes is those lousy bootleged ones! They changed Joe's name to (I think) Sean for half of it, then, part way through the first set of 4 disks, they changed it to (ready?):

Ming

I swear, I'm not kidding!!!! You can hear Ken saying "Joe" and the sub-title is "Ming"!!! I nearly killed myself laughing!!

7. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

I liked it, its a good Chinese street toughs name.

8. DevoVamp

DevoVamp New Member

Hehehe, I never thought of that! Maybe the ones who did the bootlegs are more famliar with Chinese than Japanese? That would explain a lot......

Although, it would take a lot of explaining to rationalize changing the name of the "Firebird" to the "Flamingo Flames"!!

Or, maybe I'm being picky! Hehehehe!!!

9. Gatchafan2003

Gatchafan2003 New Member

I agree that the bootlegs are terrible.They called Katse : The Shiek :eek:
    Yes Joe was Sean and then changed to Ming,Ryu was Rocky or they just called him Dragon. (I think) I haven't watched them in a while, so I forget the others. Then in the 3rd set they actually started using their REAL names !!
    At any rate; the first two sets are horribly sub-titled.

TTYL
    Back to sleep.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

10. Gatchafan2003

Gatchafan2003 New Member

Oh yeah,by the way.....I'm not exactly clear on this.....
    Is Gatch I being re-leased (subbed) in the US ???? Or in Europe ????
    And like DevoVamp, I pray for the release of Gatch II and F in subbed or dubbed in the future !!
    Why does it take so long to get what we want ?!?!?!?

Okay.I'm up. Might as well get coffee.......
    TTYL

11. Gatchafan2003

Gatchafan2003 New Member

Pig Latin maybe ????
    " e-way ray-pay or-fay he-tay elease-ray f-oay atch-gay ne-oay
    nd-ay ighter-fay............"

er.....then again......
    LOL

ahh....caffiene

12. DevoVamp

DevoVamp New Member

Hehehe, I haven't given up hope!! Even though I'm really starting to get into "Saint Seiya" (OK, it's old anime, but it's new to me!!) I've begun harrasing everybody on ebay who's selling anime, aksing them when they're going to get Gatch II and F subbed. The best answer I got was from someone called Toy2kid (real name John) who said that he would email me "once we get it".
    So, that's hopeful, isn't it??? :anime: :anime: :anime: And I actually bought the 3rd set from the first series just yesterday from ebay! I did the exchange rate and figured out that I'd save about $30 CAN by buying it from them rather than a Canadian website I found that had it. (Rotten GST and PST!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: )

Someone did have a vcd copy of Gatch II up, but no subs. It went for over $50 US, so I hope someone out there's paying attention!!!!! ("Money-to-be-made" alert!!!)
    So, now I'm flat broke (again!) but I've got no less than 13 sait seiya dvd's and 4 Gatch dvd's on the way!!!! (The saint Seiya ones came as a bundle of 11; the 2nd and 3rd series, all 4 movies and the ova.)
    I hardly know what to watch first! (Yeah, right!!! :anime: Like I'm not gonna watch Gatch first!!! Geez!)

13. Gatchafan2003

Gatchafan2003 New Member

I have Gatch II and F on video. They're neither sub-titled or dubbed though,so you pretty much have to guess what's going on. I dream of a sub-titled version if nothing else,but by someone who actually KNOWS Japanese and English. I'd like proper name usage and such.

btw....Out of Katse,Gel Sadra,and "Happy Boy" (I can't remember his real name at the moment.) :blush2: Who do you think is the toughest ???

I think it's Happy Boy. He actually captures Chief Nambu.

TTYL

14. DevoVamp

DevoVamp New Member

LOL!! Not having actually seen Gatch F, I'm laughing and trying to figure out why you've called him "Happy Boy"!!
    I think you mean Egoboosler, though, and I think I'm inclinded to agree with you. Doesn't he actually kill Nambu? Katse's a close second, though, for sheer inventiveness.

By the by, isn't there an epi of BOTP where Jason mentions the "happiness boys from Spectra"? :p :p

15. Gatchafan2003

Gatchafan2003 New Member

Egobossler ! Thank you. I think he fails Sosai Z at some point and as punishment Sosai dubs him "Happy Boy". (I'm not making this up.) :anime: Hee hee hee..... But I agree with you. Gel Sadra was nothing. Definately Egobossler,then Katse. I'd like to see G-Force go up against the combined forces of the two. That'd be a notable battle.

TTYL

16. Meridian

Meridian New Member

The Happy Boy reference is from Eagle Riders, when Cybercon (Sosai X/Z) got fed up of Mallanox because she had turned against him and mutated her into Gatch F's bad guy (I don't think he ever got a proper name).

17. DevoVamp

DevoVamp New Member

Hehehehehehehe!!!!!

Wherever it came from, that's still a total scream!!! :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime:

ROTFL!

18. Gatchafan2003

Gatchafan2003 New Member

Aw....so thats where it came from. Now I have to go see if I can get the Eaglerider series. Just for the fun of it.

TTYL

19. DevoVamp

DevoVamp New Member

On the dubbing of Gatch I by ADV

Hey, guys!

I thought that I should warn you about this now, so you can quit holding your breath! :) I recently FINALLY got the first disk from the Saint Seiya series (first seller I bought it from never sent it, the rat!!) which is being released by ADV. And, just for the heck of it, I decided to listen to the dub.

:eek: :eek: :eek: SHOCKED doesn't quite cover it!!

Not only did they pick a cast in which 1/2 the actors all sound the same, but everyone sounds either like they're going to sleep or they're reading the script for the first time!! I'm assuming the best when I say that. The alternative is that they can't act their way out of a wet paper bag!

If this is what the ADV dubs are like, I would suggest everyone get a large box of tissues for when your ears start to bleed! You're going to need them! :bleed: :bleed:

Honest, it's one of the worst dubs I've ever heard in my entire life!!!! It makes me shudder to think what they're going to do to Gatch.......!!! :eek: :eek: