Square Enix Advent Children on DVD, but.....

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Seishin, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I know, there's another Advent Children thread, but this one's different.

As many of you now know, the DVD is out in no less than two days as of now.

Not only that, but it's the '2-disc Special Edition', and to make it even better, carries a $14.99 price tag at Best Buy and at Circuit City, as far as I've seen.

Sounds like a sweet deal, and all this making it possible the best straight-to-DVD release. Seriously, all DVD's that only go to DVD blow. 'Doctor Doolittle 3' anyone? :p

With all this said, I'm sure that almost everyone here has seen it, so the question is, is anyone really going to get it?

I am. One, I want it in my collection of DVD's. Two, I want it in super awsome high quality, surround sound, the 'extras', and well, it's FFVII! I'm getting it tuesday right after school, and enjoying it :p

-Seishin

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

To be honest, I'll probably be getting two copies. One to open, and one to keep nicely sealed.

I watched the 5.1 "chinese" sub DVD (vob/sub) movie (with english subs replacing the mandarin ones...) and audio was tremendous.

HOPEFULLY, they won't do the same they do to all anime releases and kill the Japanese audio to save some money and just track the English in 5.1...

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I'll pick up a copy, but not right away. I get too caught up in work and such to get the time for it... although since I'm now forced to arrive at work almost an hour early for all of my shifts...

If they kill the Japanese audio, definately forget it. I'll stick with my fansubbed copy if they do.

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Hopefully you didn't take "kill" as literal.

For those not in the audio of things, most anime releases get tracked at a basic 2.1 (stereo channels + subwoofer) sound. English releases usually have it remastered in 5.1 (center channel + stereo + rear surround + subwoofer) and makes it sound much crisper and cleaner.

Since Advent Children originally came out in 5.1 (if it didn't, I'd shoot my own toe, since it was a theatrical release on the eastern hemisphere) it should be on the DVD as well. Most anime is obviously released on TV, and 2.1 cuts down on costs.

5. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Oh, both tracks are definetly 5.1 Surround Sound.

I'm mostly getting it for the extras it brings, well, to see what they are.

Will the DUB suck?

I dunno. I've heard a lot of the voices on Kingdom Hearts 2, aaaaaand they're all good.

Aeirth sounds great, as does Cloud, Yuffie, yadda yadda yadda.

The only one I'm dissapointed by is Cid. He sounds too stupid.

-Seishin

6. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Honestly, i've never seen it and I pre-ordered it in Pensacola Florida about a month ago. In a game store in the mall of course. Oi i'm exciting about getting it, i'm going to add that to my anime DVD's list. lol. I have mabye 8 or 9 of anime ones. Boo..

7. shinigami

shinigami The Dark Prince

seen the previews to advent children and waiting for it to come out near me

8. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I already have my copy.

9. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Bought it. ^-^

Looking good to be sure, though having already seen it not 24 hours after its Japan release, I'm not watching it right away. :p

Seriously, when I watched it, there were like, 2 torrents anywhere. The next day, there were several hundred.

10. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I managed to watch the dub last night. And I've got to say, it was actually pretty good.

The only voices that I *didn't* like was Loz and Cait Sith.

Mena Suvari actually did 100000000x better as Aeris in AC than she did in Kingdom Hearts. Sephiroth, if you've heard him in KH2, sounds the same...but somehow more sinister because he just sounds so calm. He doesn't even raise his voice...it sounds so creepy.

Yes, the English does tend to sound wierd because they change so many lines. But hey, they can't do literal translations if only because Japanese and English are completely different languages. The English VAs get the gist of what needs to be said, and that's enough.

I just wished that "The Last Order" was released here as well. It had *awesome* animation. Ah well. Seems Squenix has no plans to release it, so it's available for...those with the means of getting it. =]

Anyway, I'm happy that I can watch this in English, though I know the sub is better.

I'll probably write up a more distinctive review later.

11. Merrick

Merrick New Member

Yeah, I really like Sephiroth's voice too, it suits him. I wasn't too sure about either Loz or Yazoo though.
    It's weird seeing it in English after getting used to the Japanese version...

12. Fushigi Rockna

I haven't seen it yet... T_T

I must have this DVD. Absolutely must. I saw the commercial for it for the first time yestersay...twice, and oh my god, I practicallly died right there on ym couch...both times. xX;;;

Must....have....this...movie....

13. Seishin

Seishin Guest

The actors are great, the script writting isn't.

It's all in a great deal.

Two disc set, plus a third one if you pre ordered it, like moi ^^

Full details on what it brings on my next Podcast.

-Seishin

14. Cylor

Cylor New Member

I thought the movie was beautiful, to a point that almost bordered on the profound, and I'm not even that much of an FF fanboy.

15. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

Just saw the english dub last week. I was plesently surprised by it actually. I've seen the Japanese so many times that I thought I would have automatically shunned the english version because I was so used to the Jap...but I didn't so YAAAY! The only think I have to kinda sorta maybe complain about was Kadaj's voice...I don't know something about it just didn't seem right...but maybe that's just me...Either way, it was nice to actually watch/appreciate the movie as opposed to just reading the subtitles:p

16. Fushigi Rockna

Hey, hey, you gotta admit, Barret saying "What up, foo'!?" was freakin' genius. :p

The dub impressed me. All the voices were perfect, ESPECIALLY Sephiroth's. And omg, RUFUS IS SO HAWT!!!!

*cough* i liked it. =) oh except vincent's dub voice... sounded a little too raspy. (he didn't ahve a greta Japanese vocie actor either tho, in my opinion. ^^; )

17. Seishin

Seishin Guest

If you thought that watching the AC cast on the movie was weird, beat Sephiroth, go talk to Cloud, and go back to Sephiroth to get that final scene, with the ever infamous line"

"Sorry to keep you waiting...SEPHIROTH!!!!"

It sounds funnier in real life.

Reccomended battle Level:

-Level 99 (If you just like button mashing)
    -Level 75 (For the true players of Kingdom Hearts II; ie:HARCORE! Anything below this is pointless)
    -Elixirs help greatly

XD

-Seishin

18. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Apparently, Seishin is talking about Kingdom Hearts II.