Computers Adware/Spyware blocker?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jaken, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Is there such a program, that can block adware and spyware from ever getting onto your computer to begin with? I have ad-aware that Deletes it once infected.

Recently my computer was infected by some sort of spyware or adware and it corupted two required dll files that I needed to access the internet. I was told they were not recoverable or repairable. So I was forced to wipe out my hard drive and reinstall windows. Just wanted to aviod this from ever happening again.

Thanks.

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Spybot Search and Destroy has an optional resident process that informs you of attempted changes and lets you block them.

If you are running Windows XP, don't run as an administrator, run as a regular user (Windows XP has you as the administrator by default). That will generally prevent anything from making changes to core operating system files.

Aside from that, do not use Internet Explorer. Seriously.

Also, whenever you want to install a new program like a filesharing program or whatever, look it up online and see if it bundles mandatory spyware. If there is optional spyware, uncheck it. In other words, make sure you know what you are clicking on while installing.

3. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

adaware is great also for tougher problems... although i have found that it just basically points to them instead of doing something usefull (above spybot's capabilities)

1 person likes this.
  4. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Norton Personal firewall blocks popups, but I'd say Spysweeper. Rather annoying program sometimes, but very effectiv.

Try "Hijack This!", although when using that program, you have to know what you are deleting...

And I'd be the second one that say, don't use Internet Explorer.

- Teddz

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

IE, a rotted fish head of a browser in a spyware-roaches world, AOL is a browser enabled spyware :)

6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

duh stevie... I check them all and even scan in safe mode
    and I'm still hard press to differ the qualit against spybot

7. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Just tried out the new Microsoft Antispyware. I hadn't had an opportunity yet since I don't run windows (and never had any spyware anyway), but a friend had a messed up computer.

It's actually pretty good (of course they bought the company that made it instead of making it themselves hehe). It found a lot that spybot and adaware left behind, and was able to handle DLLs in use by running programs. Adaware and Spybot can't delete DLLs that are being used by explorer unless you let them run on startup after rebooting. Antispyware killed explorer, deleted the DLLs and started explorer up again. Quite nice. Can be done manually of course, but what nube is going to do that.

In the end, all 3 of them found a few entries neither of the other two found, which was rather depressing hehe. I ended up going through the registry and some folders by hand to make sure it was all clean. Anyway, as long as antispyware is free, go ahead and run all 3 if you have a nasty infection.

Oh, and antispyware has a pretty good resident process that prevents changes from happening. It turned that on before running the scan and kept things locked down so nothing could escape :D

8. greglo23

greglo23 New Member

9. solitaryman666

solitaryman666 New Member

There are FREE spyware downloads and reveiws of each HERE

10. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

java *shudders*