Comics All Hail Jhonen!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DrunkLeprachaun, May 28, 2003.

1. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

There are undoubtadly some of you out there going "Duuuuh... who be dis Jhonen Vasquez chappie....? I have not enough bran to member good." So in case you're one of these people, I'll put it this way. He's a comicy dude. Makes comics. Yup. Not really suprising considering this is the comics board. I'm sure the most well known here of his work would be the cartoon Invader Zim. Which really does kick ***. Much like most of the rest of his stuff(BAC being the probable exception).
    The poll does be jes a throwaway. Fer shits an' giggles, you know.
    So what be the real point of this thread? to discern who knows of JV's work, and to spread the word. His **** includes Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee, I Feel Sick, Filler Bunny(ahem), Invader Zim, and The Bad Art Collection(including Happy Noodle Boy{yay}). So yeah, check his **** out, on account of it rockin' like hella good.
    Invader Zim is pretty popular around here at the moment, but I was watching it first of course. They just started watching it because I did. It's really quite pathetic. And they don't know how to apply their make up properly either.

2. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

Oh yes, JTHM, so dear to me heart. :p

Unfortunately the collection I have didn't include the MEANWHILES, for some bizarre reason. But it was still full of Nny goodness, and that's what counts. Jhonen has a freaky art style, but sometimes you just get to one panel and think "Whoa... it just WORKS". He has the ability to capture an eerie moment perfectly.

I did like Invader Zim for a bit until it started overdoing the "doomed" joke. Some of the earlier episodes were much better, IMHO, but it was definitely above most other American cartoons I've seen.

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

hehe but he's all about the doom stuff in everything *^-^* i feel sick had it mixed with vampires and and zombies *^-^*;;
    i love his style and how he totally can make the kids in his stuff act like kids really do act; like brats. <huggles her spooky toy...wanders off>