Movies American History X

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Novus, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Novus

Novus Gone

I would like to take a moment to discuss a great film, American History X (Kaye, 1998). It's a very deep, dramatic movie with themes of racism, family and reform.
    For those who haven't seen the film, I urge you to do so. It is a tale of a neo-Nazi in America who, after serving a term in prison, tries to urge his younger brother not to follow in his footsteps.
    The film stars Edward Norton (Fight Club, Death to Smoochy) as the lead, also featuring Elliot Gould (Ocean's Eleven, Bugsy), Stacy Keach (Titus) and Avery Brooks (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).
    This film actually had a huge impact on my mindset at the time I saw it, as it uses powerful charactization and dialogue to give the characters a definite sense of identity, and the themes struck close to home for me. Also, there's some really brilliant cinematography and directing in there, so if you're interested in that sort of thing, you should check it out.
    Anyway, I'd like to discuss this film with anyone willing.

2. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

I liked most of the movie but I despised the ending (I won't spoil it for anyone). Both Edward Norton and Edward Furlong were great in their roles and a special treat for me was Ethan Suplee, who's been in a lot of Kevin Smith movies. Still, I found Romper Stomper (1983) and the Believer (2001) to both be better movies in dealing with skinheads and Neo-Nazism.

3. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

I saw that movie. I have to say i actually really liked it, even the ending. Even though the ending was really disgusting. I heard its actually a series. But im not really sure if they are correct. Anyone know?

~MAGs

4. WanderingBreeze

WanderingBreeze New Member

saw it on cable a few nights ago... an extremely effective movie about racism... dunno why i never even considered renting it before, but i would definitely recommend it to all my friends now

the ending was tragic and delivers more emotional impact than if everything ended happily ever after...

5. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

I watched American History X in a movie literature class during my senior year of high school. It was the only movie everyone stayed awake during in this class.I had tears in my eyes at the end. It was a great movie.