Art An Interview with BakaMattSu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Suzu, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

HAO! Konnichiwa! :D YOur host SKuld is back! That means more interviews with some of the most talented M2A memebers.
    Ekk... this time we get to meet the Emperor BMS...

Emperor BMS, may we have an interview concerning your art? :sweat: *this is no way to talk to an emperor... probably have my head chopped off hehe *

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Naww....I won't allow any head-chopping. As long as you keep the questions to my liking, anyway. ;)

I may regret this later, but sure....I'd be honored to be interviewed, Skuld-Chan.

3. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Hello BMS! Konnichiwa! :D
    For our first question... Do you remember a time where you first drew anything? :)

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I'd be lying if I answered yes, unfortunately. I was probably scribbling about as early as most children do.

I *can* guess as to when I first showed some interest in drawing, however. I had to be around 10. In grade school, doodling and sketching were my favorite pasttimes, and I had a prized collection of "How to Draw..." books. In late grade school, and early high school I had "produced" over a dozen various amateur comic books, some original, some based on cartoons that I'd enjoyed.

Lately, though, I've drifted away from such things. I found that with age I became more critical of my own work, and rather than work to improve my artistry, I've pretty much abandoned it. Not that I don't draw or design anymore. It's just a rarer occurence.

5. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

You seem to like to design stuff like layouts and especially creating new styles for M2A. What are some things that inspire you?

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Well, I can't say I've designed a style just yet. I have a few in mind...but I'm very taxed for time lately...

My best stuff is usually reworked or edited images. I seem to be in a better place when it comes to taking existing stuff and molding it to something else. Originality can sometimes be a pain.

Anyway, to answer your question of inspiration...I would have to say above everything else that my main inspiration comes from others. This is a several layer inspiration as well, encompassing not only ideas or opinions they express, but their own artistic achievements as well. Many a times I'll find myself wowed by a piece of art or some stray sketch, and it'll prompt me to try one of my own...just to see where I stand in comparison.

I'm usually ranked far lower, but the whole attempt is what gets me there in the first place, I guess. Art is an acquired thing. I don't believe anyone is born or bred with it in their genes. It's something that requires work and practice to develop. The more time you devote, the more you learn, I say.

7. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Wow... You answers sums up eveything,,, *Skuld's out of questions hehe :sweat:
    ^_^ Thank you BMS for this interview... Would you like to give M2A member some advise? :D

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

That's all? Okay then, no problems with being brief.

Advice? Hmm...Try not to overcritique your own work. Someone will *always* bash it no matter how good it is, and usually it's your own self doing the most bashing. If you're not happy with the way something turns out, resist the urge to trash it. Keep it someplace safe, and return to it down the road. Sometimes staying away from your work for a while helps you look at it in a whole new light when you revisit it.

Anyhow, it was great to be interviewed (however brief it was). Thanks for considering me!

9. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

May I .. ?

Can I ask BMS a Question Skuld ?

10. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I'm sorry that this interview was brief BMS... GOMEN NE SAI U_U

Zanza> Yeah ^_^ anyone can ask BMS a question?

*Interview Continues*
    Lets hear some comments and questions from our viewers!
    Ladies and Gentle-men, members of M2A, If you would like to ask BMS some questions, please, feel free to ask! ^_^! :D

11. Zanza

Staff Member

OK .. to start the onterview *:p* .. Can you show us few of your work WMS ??

12. Zanza

Staff Member

Ok I just visited the art gallery here .. and guess what ?!!
    I found your work WMS :sweat2: .. !

He he .. =^_^=

Ok .. now I have to think of something else !!

*think! .. think! .. think you morran!!*

*YESS ! .. :D .. ahh .. nope, that has been asked :sweat2: ..
    Umm .. OH YEAH ! .. nope,that one is silly .. :sweat2: ..

He he .. I guess I dont have questions right now .. I might ask later when something pops in to my mind :sweat2: ..

13. FireDragon_16

FireDragon_16 A Sionbosys Unit

ehh....can i help?

What kind of Anime do ya like ? must there be love, romatic scenes in it? or do ya prefer ....Fight scenes..maybe a little bit of $**there...maybe a little bit of gay scenes there :sweat2:
    hehe ...this is the 1st queston that was bothering me iceages !! :D

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Fair enough, Zub...I'll entertain you, even if it has little to do with Art or Design....

What kind of anime do I like? I like above all else the kind that incorporates everything. Romance, Intrigue, Action, Comedy. If an anime ties these things together in an appealing way, chances are that it's on my faves list...What does turn me off often is fanservice. I'm afraid those tidbits aren't what I'm in the market for with anime...

Some of my favorites:

Saber Marionette J
    Slayers
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Tenchi Muyo!

BakaMattSu, oh and Cowboy Bebop...I finally got into that as well.

15. Zanza

Staff Member

:sweat2: FINNALY .. !!

Ok here its ..

Q1: What was your first drawing for ?
    ( I mean was it an anime drawing? nature? .. ?)

Q2: If you still have it can we see it?
    (In the gallery there were two which I dont know when you drew them ..)

*In general .. Can you post your first picture you ever drew (the oldest one you have) .. ?

16. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

lol. you never asked me those questions Zannn-chan :p

17. Zanza

Staff Member

Look at what you did to me BMS :anger2: !! Now I have this nick stuk with me forever :anger2: !!

Anyway :sweat2: .. was there an interview with you Seraphim :confused: ? I didnt know that !!
    Gomen-nasai ..

Do you please accept my appoligy and answer my question - that was pointed to BAKA - even if you will answer it here (I dont care about Baka! cuz he has to repay me back for that :anger: ) but I hope that Skuld doesnt mind :sweat2: ...

18. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

1) I have a very bad memory, as I've noted before. As such, I can't remember the first thing I scrabbled onto paper (or was it a wall?) with crayon. I've never been good with nature, and a lot of my earlier stuff is cartoon. Also, I never liked Anime or Manga up until a few years ago, so it definately wasn't in that style. It was mainly influenced by Jim Davis' Garfield comic strip. Super-deformed with Big Eyes n' such...light on complexity.

2) I sure as heck don't have my first drawing...It's biodegrading in some landfill somewhere by now. I believe I still have some earlier toons and comics I've done, though. One of 'em made it to my High School newspaper once.

With the gallery pics, the Dono sheet is about 2 or 3 years old (GNZ or Guy can more accurately try for a date if they can remember better than I) and the Death concept is about a month old...

I suppose when I get my hands on a scanner again, I can get some more of my older art up so you guys can make fun of it...sure.

BakaMattSu, sure, he started "ZanChan"...but he's not responsible for the "Zann-Chan" and "Zannn-Chan" or whatever else has resulted from it...