Anime Anime cinema ( or something )

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by bugs, Feb 6, 2001.

1. bugs

bugs Guest

A nice little society i'm involved with here in DCU are running anime movies all this year in the college on a 25 foot screen off a projector.

75% of it will be unseen outside of japan, and is mostly fansubbed anime. What we have planned to show so far includes the Berserk series, kenshin ( all the TV and OAV series and 2 movies ) , maybe the evangelion series , we have it all including the unreleased death and rebirth.

It started last tuesday and will be continuing every tuesday from now till the end of the college year. Its a 2 pound membership for the whole year for DCU students and 5 pounds for ppl outside of DCU.

Anyone interested can contact me on airpm@yahoo.com.
    We're also affiliated with gamezone on talbot street and will be playing games (playstation 2 , playstation , DC and N64) as well as having games tournaments.

Well worth it if you're into watching some of the best anime around subtitled and uncut on about the best screen you can get seeing as no cinema in dublin will show this stuff.

(the animes vary from DVD to VCD , but all are good quality and the best around at the moment or any time)

airpm@yahoo.com

2. havok*

havok* Guest

Nica wan!
    Bugs what time on tuesdays is it on?, cos i werk during da day [​IMG]
    If its on after werkin hours i'd defo be intresed

3. anamu

anamu Guest

Hello Bugs,
    If youre a fan of Japanese animation we have two events at the Irish Animation Festival this November that might interest the society.

[Editor: November 2000 I'm afraid.]

On Thusday 16th we have an exhibition of original Japanese film stils from the 1920s to today. Its the private collection of Takashi Namiki, president of ANIDO and founder of the animation musem Japan.
    The following night we'll be showing loads of ANIDO films, introduced by Takashi himself. Ill pass on some invites if your interested.

4. ummmm

I'm a DCU student and its the first I have heard of it.

Will you be showing any of the mainstream manga stuff or just things you cant see on this side of the globe?

I used to read Ranma 1/2 and always wanted to see the animated stuff of it, any chance of running some?

5. bugs

bugs Guest

Its on every tuesday after 6 till usually late in the evening , say 10 or sometimes 11.

We mostly watch basically my collection which consists of anime that hasn't been released over here and won't be for ages yet. Its all fansubbed and mostly decent quality VCD.

So , thats DCU, every tuesday at 6:30 in T101 which is the larkin lecture hall for anyone from outside DCU, ask someone in the college and they'll tell ya where it is.

6. bugs

bugs Guest

We'll be showing anime mostly unseen this side of the world , its on every tuesday in the evenings after 6:30 ( i posted this a second ago but it didnt get posted! )

This tuesday we're starting the berserk series , which is probably going to be the biggest series on the planet when it hits this side of the world some time next year.
    Its a 25 episode series set in the medieval times so i wouldnt miss it if i were you.

Most of the stuff being show is either mine or i'll be getting it , all i think think of now is these :
    Berserk , Iria , maybe evangelion , ******* , spriggan , kenshin, and maybe some other stuff if ppl bring it along.

Like i said , every tuesday , in T101 which is the larkin lecture theatre in DCU at 6:30 till about 10 ( that includes games on ps2,psx whatever )

7. bugs

bugs Guest

Sign me up anyway , my addy is airpm@yahoo.com , i would definetly like to see that. So would a good few people in the society as well i would presume.

8. havok*

havok* Guest

Here bugs who do u get to DCU?
    could u post up a map or someting,
    I'm sure there must be other ppl that dont know how to get there too [​IMG]

9. bugs

bugs Guest

Its easy enough to find, theres a map for what its worth here: http://www.dcu.ie/student/useful/bus.html

There should be directions on that webpage somewhere to get to T101 as well , if not , just come to DCU , walk up to someone and ask em' where it is cos everyone knows or should do.
    There'll be someone there from 6:30-ish onwards and the anime will probably be starting at about 7:30 or there abouts.

10. havok*

havok* Guest

n1 bugs myself and Sico will be heading up to it anyways

11. Sico

Sico Guest

Hmm, we went up to the T101 Lecture roundy building thingy but it was locked with no sign of life...

12. havok*

havok* Guest

ye, we got to that lecture hall round thingy but it was locked.
    Was the show moved/call off or somting?

13. bugs

bugs Guest

Sorry for the slow reply , i've been gone but the soc was on , i was there from 6:30 and there had been ppl there from 6 onwards.

Unfortunetly this week our VCD player is ****ed so we'll be playing DVD's , namely Iria and probably ghost in the shell, which has been seen by everyone.

If you come along again and find the doors shut ( i dont know how ) , theres a grey door on the opposite side of the building , go over to that and if it aint open , bang on it and someone will come and open it.

14. SCRUB

SCRUB Guest

No it normally has no signs of life [​IMG]

bugger all people turn up to it .

But that makes it good as you can threaten as to what goes on and what games are to be played .

It needs a bit of life.

Just go in and make like you own the place and everything should be grand.

Then when you notice the 2 people around the ps2 (me and bugs) say hello [​IMG]

Also bring up and NTSC anime dvd's you have [​IMG] .

roll on the games and anime.

/me waits for the nice big ass box the mail man should be bringing soon .

15. Shinji

Shinji New Member

While I lived in Dublin I kept intending to try and set up some kind of anime club, there's a certain element of sods law involved in the fact that one starts up 3 months after I leave! ^_^

If you guys wanna get your hands on some more stuff to show, give me a shout. It's well worth showing Serial Experiments Lain and Escaflowne, for a start... Nadesico... The Gundam series' up until X and Wing... Er, anyway, if you're looking for stuff drop me a line and I'll find it for you [​IMG]

16. bugs

bugs Guest

Probably got more than you to be honest but if you can get some seriously rare stuff i'd be well interested , a DVD or akira with english subtitles ( helluva rare but out there ), basically we have everything you've mentioned and alot more , mostly the anime that ain't out over here yet.

Berserk in particular , thats gonna be big when it hits over here.
    We more need people to come watch this **** rather than anything else.

17. Shinji

Shinji New Member

Berserk rocks. Don't think it's getting a european release, there's a shock.

My Escaflowne DVD arrived yesterday at bloody last... God, it's so good watching that series with proper subtitles and decent quality! Shame they've screwed up the translation of the honorifics... Mereru running around calling Van "Lord Van" is just plain WRONG. It's Van-sama, any idiot knows what honorifics are surely...? (Not to mention insisting on translating "Sempai" as "Captain"... argh)

ja,
    Rob

18. bugs

bugs Guest

Thought captain was translated as "taicho", sempai is master me thinks.

19. Shinji

Shinji New Member

We don't really have a proper translation for "sempai" in English; "master" would be more like "sensei" (which can also mean "teacher").

Sempai usually refers to an older (and hence more senior) student in school. It can also be the honorific used by the members of a sports team to describe the captain of the team, which is where Bandai got this from, I guess. Fair enough - Amano is the captain of the athletics team. This is no excuse for Hitomi calling him "Captain Amano" the whole way through the sodding series - and it's not helped by the fact that they then screw up by translating "Sempai" as "Amano" in places where you're not MEANT to know exactly who she's referring to... blah.

BTW - "taicho" is "captain" or "commando" in a military sense; you can't really use it in a civilian context. Or rather you can, but it'll sound bloody odd [​IMG]

20. Chubby

Chubby Guest

Oh oh, I remember taping this off Channel4 years ago. They showed Akira in widescreen with subtitles, dunno where the tape is now but someone out there must have a copy.