Manga Any Horror Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by centrax, Jun 14, 2004.

1. centrax

centrax New Member

Morning all, yes it is yet another recommendation thread. Wondering if anyone can recommend any
    horror based manga for me.

To give people an idea of what I've liked so far. I really enjoyed Junji Ito's Uzumaki, and
    was left with a manical grin on my face after reading his short story The Enigma of Amigara Fault
    (Highly recommended reading, it comes with volume 2 of Gyo) I've also enjoyed Gyo, and the first
    two Ring manga.

The only other manga I have read that I can class as horror would be The first two volumes
    of Hellsing, which I really havnt gotten into, it just seems to be set too much to a standard
    formula, vampires attack, vampires get killed. I guess I am looking for anything that will
    leave a bit of food for thought, when finished :)

2. toeskater91

toeskater91 New Member

3. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

I there is a thread similer It might help you out. Even tho its a horror animes :anime: There are manga suggestions in there too.

But Vampire Game, Hellsing, Priest. . .thats kinda gothic so is Under the Glass moon. They are all good.

4. centrax

centrax New Member

5. Iya

Iya HIP ATTACK!

Junji Ito has written another series. It's called "Gyo" and it's about a young couple that live in a seaside town. It's summer and this unbearable smell keeps coming into the town. Then one day a fish with legs comes onto the shore and it smells really bad.

6. thunder dragon

thunder dragon dragon king

i recommend the Mermaid series (Mermaid Forest, Mermaid's Scar, and Mermaid's Gaze) by Takahashi Rumiko's.
    its about those who eat the flesh of the mermaid, and the consequences of their actions.
    the story starts with a young fisherman named Yuta, he and his curious companions ate the flesh of a mermaid. Some died instantly and Some has turned into lost souls " monsters without souls". Mermaid's flesh is a poison and only one person in a century can survive its effects to become truly immortal. Yuta survived,He married but his wife grew old while he remained young ,after that he start a search for a mermaid in the hope's that he may one day become normal. For 500 years, Yuta wandered alone throughout Japan. Then in the late twentieth century, Yuta found a village of only women, and all the women wore the same face separated only by age .he discovers later that they are a group of mermaids who told him he may never become mortal. But at the same time, Yuta gained a companion, Mana, a girl one of many girls who had been kidnabed and raised by those mermaids for the purpose of eating them once they were old enough, and if they survived eating the mermaid's flesh Because mermaids need to feed upon the flesh of an immortal human to remain able to take human form and retain their youth.
    check this site for info
    MERMAID SAGA
    hope u like it.

7. centrax

centrax New Member

Thanks Thunder Dragon, the mermaid series sounds very interesting.

8. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

I am going to suggest Lement of the Lamb.

9. TrixR4Kids

TrixR4Kids New Member

pet shop of horrors

Pet Shop of Horrors is really good. It was one of the first mangas I read and it was awesome. I've read 1-7 (I can't find 8...) and you should get it.

10. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

the only "horror" book i know will probably be lement of the lamb. not very scary though.

11. TheGreatShinobi

TheGreatShinobi New Member

are horror mangas sopossed to be scary( ive never read one)
    or just like grusome

is inuyasha a horror

12. Lizzy-kun

Lizzy-kun New Member

Try Hellsing it's pretty gorey, but cool as hell! ::bows down to Alucard:: then bows to Kohta Hirano.

13. centrax

centrax New Member

Havnt been overly impressed with Hellsing, I gave up on it after giving it 3 volumes to improve. Sadly I havn't found anything on a par with Junji Ito's work. I'm currently working my way though Hedishi Hinos "Hino Horror" which is pretty good.