Art Any suggestion for graphic tablets?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by royyoung, May 24, 2005.

1. royyoung

royyoung New Member

Hi everyone

I used to do sketches and oil paintings when I was younger. now i feel like picking up drawing again and start drawing some anime / cartoon sketches. However I don't really feel like doing it on the paper because I tend to rub the pencil drawing on the paper with my palm and mess up the picture. I have a friend who is a professional artist who suggested graphic tablets so I can draw on the computer. He also mentioned graphic tablets is good for photo editing in Photoshop as well (I am into photography as well). Does anyone has any suggestion on a particular model?

I saw a "Aiptek HyperPen 12" x 9" USB Tablet with Cordless Pen and Mouse" on a online computer shop, it's about 120 dollars, with a pretty big 12X9 drawing area. This is bigger than some other 300-400 dollar graphic tablets -_- (WACOM INTUOS3 6 X 8 GRAPHIC TABLET is 350 dollars). Any suggestion?

2. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

I have a very small Wacom, quite old now, Graphire, I think. Its kind of a toy compared to the pro ones but it was the best I could afford. The drawing area is very small. Still im glad I got it, it has a mouse and a pen, so I use its mouse for my normal mouse and the pen for fiddly graphics, like lassooing and fine touching up. If I want to put in a drawing, I always scan, I also use Adobe Streamline for making lines really slick and pro looking.

I mainly use it for photoshop type stuff and I find it can be very usefull, and in fact the small area doesnt bother me much. If you can get a bigger one though, Im sure thats better.

i saw a review of a small Aiptek pad and it said it was mediocre, but it cost $40. They said look at Aiptek's more higher end stuff. But it didn't totally slam the product, sounds from what they said the bigger pad might not be too bad. Try finding the actial model number and plug it in Google for reviews.

Over all though, yea, I recommend a pad if you are more serious about graphics.

3. furryb

furryb Blind guy drawing...

The tablet I use is definately not a miracle worker but it is good for sketching. Definately better than a mouse. It doesn't replace it though, at least not for me. Don't know if it's because I've been drawing without one for so long but I find that drawing with a regular mouse is more precise than with a tablet. (Mine is the cheapest Wacom Tablet (Graphire 4x5.))

The main thing I had to get used to when drawing with a tablet was the feeling I was drawing with a pen without seeing it. Imagine writing a paragraph on a sheet of paper and having to watch a TV to see your writing. That's pretty much the challenge with the standard tablet.

I ink and color mostly with the mouse with the exception of when I have to draw out large drawings, in which case the tablet does a better job.

4. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

I'd suggest going for the nice, big sized ones. I use a 4x5 inch Wacom Intuos2, which has great quality but the smallness affects my drawing a lil bit. I suggest going for at least 6x8 inch, whatever brand you choose. Also consider whether you want something portable... mine fits easily into my laptop case, although I think a 6x8 inch tablet would fit too. As for the brand, well if you go for a cheap model, make sure it's a big size. If you go for an expensive model, you'll have to go to a smaller size (which is what I did, for Wacom is like the top name brand). Either way, I'd say get something that's not too cheap (like less than $50).

Mine was especially useful for me cuz for the longest time I didn't have a mouse to go with my laptop. And my tablet came with a mouse, and I tell you... tablet mice are like demigods compared to normal mice that normal people use. (Even better than some optical mice too!) And your tablet mouse can do "impossible" things... you can hold it sideways or backwards, and it works the same (cuz it corresponds to its position on the tablet). And you can even use your mouse in mid-air, or tilted slightly! (it still has to be within about 1/2 of an inch from the tablet though)

Anyways, I mostly use the graphic pen for digital drawings, or for retouching tools that require speed, precision, and a "gentle touch." :)

5. child of sin

child of sin ★★★★☆

6. furryb

furryb Blind guy drawing...

I can imagine. Those buttons on the tablets alone for hotkeying makes them a lot friendlier to use.

7. child of sin

child of sin ★★★★☆

min got no btnz as u see on the link ;D, also u wont find allot of a use of the shortcuts. but the real thing is when u open ur photoshop/ painter or wtvr..and start to the nagic n__n