HTML and Scripting Anybody know of good HTML sites?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kagome's Arrow, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Out of sheer boredom I decided to try my hand at making a website, but with my limited HTML knowledge the most I could do was insert a picture or two and make large green text float across the screen. While these were nice little tidbits they certainly weren't very helpful in making a wbesite, so I was wondering if anybody knew of some informative HTML help sites (other then funkychickens.com.. I already have that one.. that's how I learned the limited knowledge that I have ^_^).

Thanks in advance!

2. sakana

sakana New Member

3. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

W3Schools is also very good. HTML is only one of the things they teach there, and it is a useful reference guide. If you know the basics, I suggest using it as a reference and learning by yourself as you code multiple pages. It's the best way to acquire experience and knowledge.

1 person likes this.
  4. Slydice

Slydice ave, Lex, morituri te salutamus

I agree with Arcueid, W3Schools is a great resource for web design.

I find the best thing to look up when begining to learn any sort of web/scripting language would be beginner tutorials. A quick search on google for a html tutorial produces these results: http://www.google.com/search?q=html+tutorial

The (current) top result being this one here: http://www.cwru.edu/help/introHTML/toc.html

As an introduction to HTML it looks fairly comprehensive. It reads like a full school book though. I'd give a quick browse of it and do alot of trial and error testing. Trial and error being where you copy some of the HTML they show and see what it does. It's impossible to break your computer with tests when your learning HTML and testing is way more fun than going through the whole.

For a quick and dirty guide (found in the same google results), have a look at: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/

It's a one pager but gives a nice example of how the most used things in HTML work.

For a list of more HTML tutorials I recommend either using the google link above or this site at programmingtutorials.com which covers HTML: http://www.programmingtutorials.com/html.aspx

1 person likes this.
  5. ~CP~

~CP~ New Member

This site was by far the best site I've seen so far in terms of teaching html. I used it a lot when I was making the Kitsune Magazine site. It also helped me pick up a bit of HTML knowledge. Before this site, I knew absolutley nothing about HTML.

1 person likes this.
  6. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Don't forget the ever-overused www.lissaexplains.com. I think it's obnoxious, but it helped a LOT of people who were new at it.

However, I suggest the very best way to learn is to go to a webpage, view the source, and work it out, figuring out what it all means. Tags are usually easy to figure out, it's common sense. You should go to other sites for aid, but if you really wanna get good at it, don't c&p for all your sites. They're a crutch that'll hold you back.

EDIT: I forgot to add, a lot of people are touchy about you getting their source (-_- I won't begin with my opinion on that), but if you'd like, you can go source crazy on my sites. x3

1 person likes this.
  7. Valant Rapitor

Valant Rapitor A Hungry Weeble

I learned the intricacies of css style-changing by seeing and learning from Arcueid's source, and going from there. Then again, I'm bound to forget it before the month is over, heehee.

8. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

www.alistapart.com is VERY GOOD at webdesign.

Another one is www.sitepoint.com

And www.wired.com (generic news site) switched to XHTML/CSS not long ago.

So, there you go. :D

Truly! Since i switched to XHTML/CSS design, i've been able to organize my webpages MUCH BETTER. :)

9. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I recommed this site as well :D!!!