Debate Award Shows -.-

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quistis, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Quistis

Quistis New Member

What do you guys think of award shows? I only watch them b/c there is nothing on, but it seems kinda stupid to put it all on tv. I mean why do I care if a actress gets a award, its not me. Then they go crazy and buy jewlery and stuff for this one night and they show off there money. I just dont see why they put it on TV I dont care if they win a award. Why do ppl care?

2. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Well, it depends on your definition of 'award show'. The Nobel Prize ceremony, which is broadcast on C-Span, is MUCH more than actresses flaunting how much money they have. But then I'm sure you're not talking about that sort of thing. ;)

Anyway, your question has an easy answer. Humanity as a whole loves to idolize certain people and put them on pedestals, and such ceremonies are a perfect way to do so. Although, on a less cynical note, such shows also are a way to see if (mostly) good actors, musicians and everyone else get the recognition they deserve. I LOVED Adrian Brody in the Pianist, and watched the Oscars to see if he'd win (And he did, thank god, but I would have been just as happy if Jack Nicholson had won).

So it's star worship, nothing more. They're still entertaining. And when there's a great comic like Conan O'Brien or Chris Rock hosting, it makes it all the better.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

well thoes people have fans and if thoes fans buy their music or their movies wouldn't you wanna see them get an award for something you thought was well done ?

4. SGI

SGI New Member

I despise and spit on award shows as I do on the Idol cash cow ahem I mean phenomenon. By creating somebody to worship we are merely submitting ourselves to the media bombardment and scaring ourselves senseless. By saying this person is "better" than me because he or she is on TV we are humbling ourselves to a level which can have dangerous consequences on lesser willed people (anorexia etc...).

But on a light hearted note I greatly enjoyed Michael Moores speech at the Oscars, I knew he'd pull something like that so I tuned in solely for that great event.

5. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

it's all arbitrary. i mean it's art. none of the musicians at those awards could hold a candle to the musical tallent of people i see day to day and who are totally unknown outside my state. i know musucians who have practiced 9 hours a day religously all their lives. mear mortals like use can't even begin to comprehend how far they have taken the art. these ppl deserve to be idolised. and some are. but most don't even care either way. it's only the bad ones who do.
    People like the musicians at those awards because they don't know any better or don't understand music, or how much is actually done by the 'musicians' they see at these awards. Awarding someone for selling lots of albums is stupid, as is the notion of music awards at all. the musicians who produce good music don't need to be told they are doing so.
    and actors.... there's no other industry in the world that congratulates itself as much as the film industry. And has anyone noticed that foreign films aren't really even considered for these awards?. i mean, it's just hollywood congratulating itself about 5 times a year.

6. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

The award shows are put on TV cuz people will watch em anyway. Also, awards are about giving reward and recognition to people who are great (the reasons for those two, are stuff like encouragement for others to work hard in those award categories, to have someone for others to look up to as an example of excellence, and for making the winner feel good). The trophy/whatever and the title are the rewards, and the live & TV audiences are the recognition part. It's not really a matter of letting the winners know that they won--it's giving them something they deserve. If I won something, it would be nice to get an award, whether or not it was in front of an audience. People who have the competitive nature in them would probably appreciate the fight-and-win process of this.

Awards measure greatness, bring pride, gives a sense of fulfillment, make you look good, and tells others that you got talent. I'm not talking about "worshipping," cuz I don't idolize anyone, yet I know that greatness in talent does happen here and there. And I don't really care about the extra things at award shows, like "Who's Wearing What" side reports.

And it's not like all award winners are pompous and bragging about their win. They do know that there are other people who are great too. They do know that they didn't win all on their own (that's why acceptance speakers include so many people to thank). They work hard too, no matter how easy they make their talent seem (people sometimes forget that award winners have lives too).

7. Dark_Dreams

Dark_Dreams New Member

Time to use my fave phrase::D
    Award shows are like reality Tv it's a good idea turned bad by greedy publishers and TV people. Some people actual deserve the awards some are just given so the viewing audience will be happy. Which ever way it was it was degrading to the artist to put it on TV because like Poom-Poom said some take their music extremely seriously and so seeing it turned into a cash cow is like seeing Christianity turned into the give us money or your going to writhe and burn in hell religion it is today.