Japanese Babelfish failed me. Can you help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BakaMattSu, Aug 11, 2003.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yes, I have next to no understanding of the Japanese language. Babelfish is a nice handy tool from time to time, but it can't really make understandable pages beyond "See Jack Run. Run Jack run."

My favorite anime/manga/etc series, Saber Marionette apparently has something new on the way (or already released), but I can only pick out a few understandable tidbits here and there from the creators' official site.

I know this can be a painful undertaking sometimes, but can anyone give me a shot at a full translation of this page and the five linked from it?

http://www.i-poli.com/html-second/sp-ohedo.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated by me. Thanks. :)

2. Kaori

Kaori New Member

hm..I hope you dont want word-for-word =/

Ok, its a new series called "shiritsu oedo gakuen koubouki" started in 10/2000 in a magazine called "Dragon Magazine" (?)
    Its about a time when Marionettes and Humans live together and this is the story about a guy named "Tateshina Iori" who meets a marionette called "Inawashiro Kirito" on his first day of high school.

er...Kirito wants to be like a guy.

((dont quote me on this bit: its like a first episode explanation.))

Kirito was made by the cheerleading squad and now Iori is trying to save him, and so there's this big er...battle between the leader of the squad and kirito.
    er...Kirito escapes by flying Iori out of the mess and they meet the other characters (including Iori's fated love (?)) and they all battle with the squad leader.

((honestly, i have no idea what's going on...hahaha))
    The second page talks about the setting of the series by giving a timeline from when the six guys made the first marionette to the present.

The third page talks about the J and R and Oedo series and its differences on how marionettes and humans interact

Fourth page talks about the er...3 abilities of a marionette: Limiteer, Attachment, and Nano-machine.

Fifth page talks about like..the..um...'composition' of a marionette and how they have three blood types like we do, but they have all three instead of like us, we have two. (eek...i recommend u look at the site since the pics explain more than i can...T_T)

hope that helped a bit. ^^; I kinda just skimmed it so I mighta missed some stuff >> gomene.

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Well, I was hoping for a page by page anaylsis. Word-for-word doesn't quite translate well sometimes.

"Shiritsu Oedo Gakuen Koubouki"? What does that roughly mean?

Oh yeah, it'd be Dragon Magazine. It's a Japanese monthly RPG/Manga magazine. Satoru's works are frequently in it.

Is Kirito "male" or "female", and could it possibly be that s/he wants to be human (explaining the "like a guy" part)?

And what are the chances of me getting a rundown of the right-hand column. That is, can I get the character names and bios? :)

LOL. I'll promise never to send a full-fledged novel your way, then. ;)

Oh, that looks like a sweet timeline. I don't suppose I can get a translation of each of those events?

So, what are the differences? :D

I sort of got this page. It was one of the few bits Babelfish was able to crank out readably...

Limiter - A device used to keep marionette strength down to comparable human rating.

Attachment - Add-ons for marionettes that add powers - there's apparently a motorcycle(?) and another listed example.

Nano-machine - A tiny device for marionettes that records data like blood type and growth

Makes sense, sort of, to me. Their blood types seem to be based off the main three personalities that the marionettes had. L for Lime, B for Bloodberry, and C for Cherry.

So, the first character (LLL) would be very much like Lime in nature (innocent, childlike, energectic), and the second character there (CCL) would be a Cherry with a little Lime. Probably only makes sense to an SMJ fan, but I believe that's the gist.

It's somewhat more than I could comprehend, so it's a bit clearer now. I still wanna know those missing bits, though, even if I'm pushing my luck... ^_^V

4. Kaori

Kaori New Member

errr...

haha ok, i'll see what I can come up with ^^

"shiritsu oedo gakuen koubouki" roughly translates into er...."The stories of the private school Oedo"

Kirito is a guy. i screwed up the first translation..sorry...(lol) ok. Iori is a guy, who wants to be a guy LIKE Kirito. You see, Iori is a bishounen and apparently doesnt look like a guy. (bleh..major screwup..heh)

ok Character Bios: ((hey, anyone can feel free to correct me here..its kinda hard to read =/))

Guy: Tateshina Iori
    "If only I was born like a marionette"
    A bishounen human guy that looks like a girl. Has a weak body and little strength. He always thinks that in order for him to like himself, he needs to be more manly.

Girl: Mizusawa Kyouko
    "Because we are opposites, we should go out" (bleh..vague)
    Stubborn Human girl . She calls herself "boku"--because she's a tomboy. Iori is the object of her teasing, but she's always worried because he's so weak. (dont quote me ><)

Girl: Sora Akepi
    "Kyouko, you talk to much. Wouldn't you be bothersome to Iori?"

ack! ;_; need to go. I'll finish later..>>; If anyone wants to pick up from here, go ahead ^^:

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

*bump*

Any progress on this, Kaori? Or can someone take it from where she left off? I almost got everything I wanted from it, but...^^

6. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam