Movies Best Horror Movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Lt.Noin_195, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Lt.Noin_195

Lt.Noin_195 New Member

So what's the movie that had you covering your eyes in the theater or at home?

I would have to say Halloween and Scream (the first one). I know those movies are old but that's the last time I remmeber being scarde......maybe I'm just living in the past.I don't know, I get scared so easily.^_^ But anyways, just tell me what scares *YOU*.

~LaTeRz

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Jaws.

*excerpted from my LiveJournal*
    I bought it on DVD today... just finished watching the scenes where the teen girl goes for a swim and is attacked, and when they discover (whats left of) her body.

I'm no stranger to Jaws. I've seen all 4 movies more than I care to remember.

But it's been years since I last saw that opener.

And it chilled me to the frickin' bone. Especially the girls half-submerged cries of pain and shouts of "Oh God!!! No! Help!" that became less and less intelligeble as the attack went.

Then, the final bit of the attack... she clings to a buoy. She's crying. She's in pain and confused.

She seems ok.

Then she's lifted up and off, swung around a few times, screaming.

Then...

"Oh God help!" and she is pulled underwater, never again to resurface alive.

It scared me so much I had to pause the movie and take a breather. Film-makers take note: I don't care about quick kills in a horror movie. At least with those the suffering ends quickly.

But when you see the person crying, screaming out, the movie makes you wanna cry...

Bloody terrifying image.

Especially when you hear her joyfully call out her name and say she's going swimming but a half minute earlier.

And that is why Jaws is one of the greatest films ever: it scares you for real. You don't laugh at the victims. You stare in fear and awe as they get ripped to shreds, or you hide your eyes, or a million other things to keep it from being so *real*.

When I was a kid I didn't really get scared or shocked by it so much.

Probably because horror movies feel like a bad dream.

But as you get older and reality sinks in, movies like Jaws scare you because they could very well happen, and you tend to try to think of movie characters as real people so it feels more real.

If you have a copy of Jaws, go watch the opening scene now and tell me you didn't feel the slightest bit of pity for the girl, and that you laughed as she experienced the pain of a 3-ton shark tearing her flesh to pieces and crushing her bones, all out in the water, away from everyone, as she cried for someone, anyone, to save her from it all.

Well, back to the movie! ^_^

3. Vampire_Claudia

Vampire_Claudia New Member

Umm.... I If you know were i got my name you'll know what I'll say
    Interview with the vampire.

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Hee hee... I never thought of it as a horror, I always saw it as a tragedy, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Similarly, Bram Stoker's Dracula was a horror/romance, with Dracula as the romantic lead....

but then Im a bit of an oddball...

5. Vampire_Claudia

Vampire_Claudia New Member

Yea I can tell. But It is nasty when Listat dies. Blood flying everywere thats horror so NEEE :p

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Hee hee, fair 'nuff.

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Does Cannibal count as a horror? I mean, I get jumpy at horror movies and all, but the greusomeness of the kills just err...*whet* my appetite. To a very sickening degree. I found myself trying to name all the cars in the background scenes when I could to take my poor little mind (literally :D) off the scene before hand...

If it doesn't, Child's Play gets the bill. I remember my uncle watching that with me when I was but a wee lad...and just got my very own Snake Eyes and other few GI Joes. I swear, I never opened them until a week later...and I was deathly afraid of my cousin's glowworm's dainty smile...*shudder*

8. Lt.Noin_195

Lt.Noin_195 New Member

*Child's Play*
    **Gets the chills**

I remmeber all 4 of those movies. I was much to young to watch the first few. ** BIG MISTAKE FOR LITTLE KIDS TO WATCH**

As for Jaws, you are right about that first scene Nephilim_X. It sereously is scary! But I just watched Stephen King's *IT* today and that brought back alot of memories!Since I hadn't watched that movie in so long, some of the scenes seemed completely new to me. I forgot how long that movie was. The book's long too. Man....... I got all flinchy when just the title came up!

~LaTeRz

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Oddly enough when the little boy got killed I wasn't affected as much.

Probably because his suffering wasn't played out for long, and all we saw of him was him sinking underwater, giving a confused shout, then "Help!" then above the water we see the cloud of red just *whoosh* out.

It sort of gives the impression that he didn't even know what happened and was dead before very long.

I did feel sorry for the guy who tries to help the kids with their sailing techniques, because he was semi-aware of what happened and he was in a lot of pain too.

And when Quint went... oh God. I felt guinely sorry for the bugger.

For me one of the most gripping scenes is when Quint gives his USS Indeanapolis speech. It was so well done!!!

Attached Files:

10. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Best Horror movie I've ever seen was "Exorsits" >.> *shivers*
    Second best movie is Scream 3 <-- because I liked the cop guy :p

11. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

The Cell

I had to meditate after seeing it to clear my head. I had the jitters for 3 hours.

12. sailorvenus

sailorvenus 24 days to go...^^

Hmmm...I have to agree with Toomaa on this one...Exorcist! Gave me nightmares!!!

13. Lt.Noin_195

Lt.Noin_195 New Member

THE EXORCIST!!! How could I forget:rolleyes:! That movie is a classic!:D

~LaTeRz

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Alien and Aliens...

Similar but totally different scares.

Alien has suspense and the type that'd make you jump if someone lightly touched or breathed on the back of your neck.

Aliens has the whole impending sense of doom going.

Alien 3 and Ressurection are not scary in the least.

15. neoblacklady

neoblacklady ~*Tpyo Godedses*~

i dont know if its horror but house on haunted hill horrified me.
    i can watch blade i can watch 13 ghosts but that movie is freaky!!!!!!!!!!!
    i still have nightmares. it was just wrong.