Big bad Virus Alert.

Discussion in 'News' started by Ark, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

This one's semi-important, folks.

The virus is called MSBlast.exe, or Blaster.

It exploits a security hole in MS Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003, meaning you do not have to do anything to get it.

It is *very important* that if you run Windows XP, you download this patch. You should also, if you have access to your firewall settings, block port 135.

If you run Windows 2000, use this patch instead, and if you use Windows 2003 Server, you want this one.

The easiest way to know you have the Blaster virus is if your system begins giving error messages about the Remote Procedure Call service, then giving you 1 minute before it shuts the computer down.

If you have the virus, go to here to download Stinger, which should remove the virus.

Just a heads-up, folks. This virus is going to do a lot of damage.

- Ark

2. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Shouldn't a update with winXP be enough?

I have heard the virus gives a different effect on the computer. Accourding to some Swedish IT newspapers, the virus makes your computer go "laggy" and it crashes your computer too much, but it's using a "back door" from the Windows Updates system.

Our ISP Telia was one of the vicitims, and it's one of swedens biggest Internet/Phone supplier. I, who have Telia ADSL internet, couldn't go onto the net for 3 hours, and its been said the the virus began 22:12 Swedish time.

Remember People, Upgrade your Windows and Virus Applications!

- Teddz

[EDIT]: Download the Patch Quickly, the virus will attack the Windows servers this Saturday. But if you are infected with the virus, there are twos ways. Either do as Ark there said, or restart the computer, while restarting, press F5, and go to Safe mode. Later on, Search for the file MSBLAST.exe and delete it. Afterwards, download the the patch and feel safe. [/EDIT]

3. ScanVageX

ScanVageX New Member

phew thxs guys me and 2 of my friends had gotten that viruz on our pc and ur post really help out alot

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yup. You should regularly run an update scan at http://www.windowsupdate.com and install all critical patches. This isn't the first time exploits have been found in M$ products, and it likely won't be the last.

5. Kamui

Kamui X//1999... best anime eva

Is Windows 98 gunna be infected????

Cus i think that is what i run... is there any way to find out what type of windows i run?

6. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Does ME have the virus? I know a comp that is messing up

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Well, generally, when you start up your computer, there's a BIG windows splash screen. That is the most OBVIOUS way for you to tell. Heh.

8. Teddz

Forgot to mention one big thing though.

Even if you delete the file MSbasher.exe, go into the registry and to Key_LocalMachine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

And see if you have the file in there too.

How to get to the regedit?

Press Start, Run and than type Regedit.

- Teddz

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Windows 98 and ME are not prone to this exploit.

If you need to know your windows version, enter your Control Panel and double-click on System. On the general tab, underneath the first heading, you'll see your Windows OS listed. This works for those of us who've tweaked off the big splash screen, too. Though, if we've gone that far, we usually can remember what OS we're running. ;)

ME is a virus, frankly :). It's one of the buggiest OS's I've seen (and the other versions of windows are buggy enough). Avoid it, if at all possible.

10. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

My company I work for has been getting hammered by this virus most of the day. Our IT people are going nuts trying to get the systems up and running.

We just now got back our internet power.

Vic

11. Quistis

Quistis New Member

OMG :eek: this happend to me last nigh. I was online and my computer kept shutting down and would not let me log in for more then 10mins. I went to the m2a chat room and I was so pissed and this guy named Head_slinger on the chat room found out WTF was wrong with my computer and gave me something to download and it works now. On the chat room last night some ppl thought I was just putting on some show by leaving all the time and coming back, but I was dead serious and now I go to watch the news today and I see this story about what happend to me last night. I am just glad it is over :D. I heard they also call it the MindowsXP worm :dizzy2:

12. Head_slinger

Head_slinger New Member

Yur, thats what it was. I got an email off my ISP today about it. What the worm does is basically exploit a bug in the rpc which allows a buffer underrun. Basically someone could take over your PC.

:)

I would get the patch anyway, because it can also cause slow internet.

Microsoft Security Bulletin

It affects everything based on the NT kernel. ie. NT4.0, Windows 2000 (Now Windows ME), and Windows XP. Also Windows 2003 server, i doubt if anyone runs that tho.

Good luck with it :)

13. Legato666

Legato666 New Member

Yep i got the virus too.But thanx to the izz man im fine now.THANX SO MUCH IZZY.

14. Kamui

Kamui X//1999... best anime eva

Hey, I found out i run 2000, i dled the patch and it said that i had to have the Service Pack 2 to be able to run it... where can i get that?

15. DarkNd Destiny

DarkNd Destiny New Member

Thanx for the info!

:)

16. Teddz

Either you download it from the Microsoft Website, I believe...

- Teddz

17. Sailor Lupus

Sailor Lupus New Member

If you have the virus what do you do to get rid of it, if you are running Windows XP? The "stinger" file didn't seem to do anything and it said system requirements: Windows Server 2003...which doesnt sound like XP!!

Any help would be appreciated.

18. Teddz

There :)

Search the file first, in you have it. MSBlast.exe. If you have, go to safe mode, delete it, and go the registry. Check the posts on this thread, there are solutions to everything :)

- Teddz

19. lin_ali

lin_ali New Member

Wish I registered to this forum and saw this post before the worm hit my labtop! :( Anyway, I have Windows 2000 and the worm kept generating errors in my svchost.exe (it occurs whenever I log on to the internet), causing minor functions such as cut, copy, paste, etc. (we really do take these things for granted sometimes!). Anyway, did a search on google and found out how to fix the problem. However, to install the patch, it required at least Service Pack 2 (I installed SP4 just in case)! You can obtain this online but it took at least 2 hours to just get updates during its installation! :dizzy2: So let's hope you have a fast internet connection!

20. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i just got it off mine.
    our whole city lost power for hours, and my university was closed yesterday because of it.