Black History Month is Bogus

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by wertitis, Mar 4, 2006.

1. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Now that it's all said and done I'm gonna stand up and just say it-

Black History Month is Bullsh*t.

Here in the US we 'set aside' the month of February to celebrate Black History and focus on the accomplishments the negro community has done for our nation. I believe they chose the month of February because it's the birth month of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

It's bullcr*p. Is that to say that the other eleven months out of the year are "White History" months? That's down right racist. Let's take the flip side of all this. If there's a month set aside specifically for Black History why isn't there one set specifically aside for White history? Asian History? Hispanic History?

Well that's down right racist!

Our country (as dysfunctional as it is) was built up through the accomplishments of all men and women of all skin colors. White people, black people, yellow people, brown people- We all had a hand in forming the nation we have today. Everyone's accomplishments are just as important as the next. We built this nation together- That was the beauty behind the early melting pot.

So why are we setting an entire month aside to glorify one skin color over the others? It doesn't make any sense to me. I thought we preach that skin color is insignificant. That underneath we're all the same. Each person, regardless of their skin, is just as able and to achieve greatness in this country if only they apply themselves. No one person is any more different or any more special than the next because their skin color is different...

...Except in the month of February when we throw all that out the window and glorify the accomplishments of one race over all the others. Isn't that a little hypocritical of us? Their hearts were in the right place when they began this, but it's obvious they missed the whole point.

EVERY month should be Black history month. EVERY month should be white history month. EVERY month should be Asian history month. EVERY month should be Hispanic history month. Every month we should be praising every accomplishment of EVERY race. We should take those accomplishments and raise them high, showing the entire world what the blood, sweat and tears of any man, regardless of their skin color, can create. Each race had equal part, and equal accomplishments in the unification and building of this country. If we're going to preach unity doesn't it make sense that we should at least TRY to practice it? To set one race aside and glorify it is against our own melting pot gospel.

ONE country, ONE people. Why aren't we practicing it?

~W

2. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Just like everyday should be christmas, or everyday should be thanksgiving...

3. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Amen man. I've been saying the same thing to my teachers for a long time. Thanks for making a stand, I just could never find the words to say without being extremly racist sounding ^^

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

*yawns* i don't really care if we have a black history month but i guess at one point in time it was important to the black community.

5. going to a school where most racist bigots are then i can say if any race would have a month history like black history then get me the fuck out of the country. From pure garbage to shit made assignments to keep them somewhat prideful bastards happy long enough before they think of a race charge against any other person. GAH!..i hate this month soo..much..Hate bigots hate spics hate nigers hate whitetrash I HATE ALL RACES ANd ONLY GIVE A DAMNA BOUT A PERSON SO YAY!. ...bleh..*goes to sleep*

6. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Thank you, blacks, for peanut butter, pseudo-peace among races, and for turning our cities and towns into rundown shit-ass ghettos. :D THAT is why we give the blacks their one month. But I jest.. although I couldn't disagree with you more about the "No one person is any more different or any more special than the next because their skin color is different..." bullshit, but... then again that's probably because I'm a racist. :p

7. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Omfg, that's not what I'm talking about. This isn't about how sh*tty one race is over another. This is about equality, where everyman is truly equal in the eyes of another. A place where racial color means nothing. My beef was they're (and by they're I mean everybody) always preaching equality while refusing to truly practice it. Equality is holding the achievements of mankind up high as one, glorifying only the individual, not the skin color. Fredrick Douglass was a hero not because he was black, but because of what kind of man he became. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. became a symbol for hope and equal rights not because he was black, but because of the courage he exhibited in the face of starck adversity. Our founding fathers were all the same way, as were other great men in history- Not just Americans. We need to quit being hypocritical and pull our stuckup heads out of our *sses. I know it's a pipe dream, but it's a better dream than what many people now a days forsee.

~W

8. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Utopian ideals are pointless. Might as well learn to deal with it. Not gonna change.