Buying first modular!

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by Tommya, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Tommya

Tommya New Member

First time poster here - been havng fun reading the forum.
    Getting ready to buy a large (44mod+22mod) modular from Roger Arrick - I've visited the company and cannot believe the craftmanship and stability.

Anyone else here own a synthesizers.com modular?
    If so, I'd like to compare patches after I take delivery on mine.

Tommy

2. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Welcome! That's GREAT that you're buying a modular synth. Especially one that large! :) I have a few Synthesizers.com modules mixed in with modules from various other manufacturers. I guess you could say I have a "mutt modular". heheh...

3. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

My only advice is you should get a big enough one to make patches that are more complex than non-modular synths, but then work with it and see exactly how you want to expand it (unless of course there's a decent discount in a pre-configured system's price).

It's definitely the best priced way to get near the look and feel of a Moog, though on it's own (meaning without buying modules from another system) it doesn't really take you much further past Moog.

A friend has 30 something .com modules and is very happy (p.s. he always wanted a moog). I haven't tried it because he's on the other side of the country. (I have messed with Moogs and recorded on most likely the world's largest Polyfusion, which was designed by former Moog staff soon after Moog stopped developing his system)

And don't forget to budget in some analog effects to go with it ;-)

4. Tommya

Tommya New Member

Actually, Roger and I have already gone over the module selection. It's basically a keyboard controller and garage, 44-space standard plus a 22-space standard, minus one oscillator and one ring modulator (and no blank panels) plus one sequencer, one preset module, one spring reverb, and two normalisation harnesses.

Total is about $8K. Talk about bang for the buck.
    I also don't have to pay shipping since I live in Dallas, about 25 minutes from the shop.

And I have more digital effects than the law allows already.
    I'll let you guys know when it goes to burn-in and you can have a look on the famous dot-com webcam.

Now if this darned house would just sell....

Tommy