Comics Calvin and Hobbies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kain, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Has anyone else here ever read these comics. Cause these are just some of then funniest things you ever seen.

You've probably all seen Calvin and Hobbies before. Its the story about a boy with an overactive imagination. And he imagins thats his favorite stuffed toy (a tiger) comes to life and that he walks around an talks to him and does all things cat like. Like for example my favorite part is when calvin gets home from school and the second he opens the door Hobbies attacks and jumps on him.

It's one of the best comics ever made. Its sometimes just the little things that make you laugh. Like in one bit when Calvin looks up at the sky and says out load "i wish it would snow" then i single snow flake falls down from the sky and lands right on his forehead. Then he just says "i know when i'm being mocked.XD .

So i was just wondering if anyone else has read any of these comics?

2. KazigluBey

KazigluBey New Member

I love 'em! :anime:

3. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Are they old enough that people might not have actually heard of them? :eek:

I used to read Calvin and Hobbes religiously. In fact, I have almost all the books released. My favorite storylines tended to be the ones where Calvin experiments with the cardboard box.

4. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

It's been a while (years) since I read any Calvin and Hobbes, but I remember really liking those comics. XD It's relatively infrequent that a long-running series of newspaper comics manages to be entertaining and stay that way. But that was good stuff... not mindless, repeated jokes in the style of, say, Garfield.

5. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Just a few years ago a question like that would have been unnecessary :D Greatest Comic Ever. I liked anything that involved daydreaming in school. Snowart never got old. Spiff, the superhero (Crimson avenger? Masked something? forgot .. the horror), the private eye, the dinosaurs, trips to the lake, babysitters (Roz), calvinball..

He may have sucked at math, but he had a great vocabulary! Truly one for the ages.

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I have every book of Watterson's. Ahhh, they were my sactuary. Every fishing trip/road trip and adventure I had called for at least one of them. I even made the episode were Calvin sold the earth to those aliens (for a leaf collection) into a poem in the eight grade.

Calvin and Hobbes and the Far Side. My golden duo. Endless hours of entertainment. My mom was afraid that I was getting a bad influence when I was younger. I just justified it by saying "Hey, its just teaching me what I shouldn't do :anime: "

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

a great place to gain a philosophy on things too. hehe ^^ love watterson's stuff damnit XD

8. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Calvin and Hobbies is the only thing i know that Watterson worked on. Does anybody know any other comic stirps that he worked on?

Oh and Calvinball RULES!!!! Best sport ever.

9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

if he's ever done anything else, i wanna know too XD just his drawing style mixed with his conversations rules all out. he's rather inspiring in that sense.

10. Gabrielle

Gabrielle New Member

I love Calvin & Hobbs too. One of my favourite! I still get to read it in my local newspaper. I always look forward to the sunday paper wher the comic will be in color. He's got to be the most philosophical kid around, though he can be such a pain, especially to his folks.

11. Star Princess

Star Princess Haters are retarded.

I LOVE Calvin & Hobbes!! They're so funny! All the things Calvin imagines are hilarious-especially Spaceman Spiff. I love it when he's Spaceman Spiff. Imagines all the adults and girls as aliens. :anime: If you're feeling blue, Calvin & Hobbes is a good comic to cheer you up.

12. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Old enough? x3 Everyone reads Calvin and Hobbes, regardless of your age! I'm only 15, and I've been reading C&H since I learned how to. The one thing I really really want is a big stuffed Hobbes. xD Too bad Bill didn't release them and you can't make any toys, ect.

13. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

I really enjoy this comic as well. I too have the ability to check it out in my daily adn sunday edition of my local newspaper. Those two just crack me up.

Victor

14. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

unfortunatly, there never will be anything official made. he never wanted to sell out the respect of his art, and thus has refused any and all attempts to market his comic characters as anything more than a comic strip. if you see anything using his art, it's pretty certain it's without persmission from him.

15. Charlie

Charlie Guest

I've got a few of the collections. Bill Watterson fought a legal battle to stop his charactors being merchandised, which is pretty cool.

16. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

where did you get? all i've ever wanted is a plushie hobbes XD

17. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Calvin & Hobbies has to be one of my favorite comic books ever.

The stories are unique and yeah, Hobbies rules.

- Teddz