Debate Cartoon Network -- Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Nick Rivera, Feb 15, 2004.

?

?

1. I <3 CN

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. I hate CN with such a passion

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Don't know/care

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

How can a program lineup be gay, when it lacks emotion or a sexual preference? ;P I really hope you aren't going to continue to use the word "gay" to describe things you dislike, it's offensive. This is the second time I've randomly stumbled across a post in which you've done that. *glares*

And, as stated, Family Guy is not anime. In fact, I can't understand how you'd mistake it for anime in the first place... o_O The animation shares NOTHING with any anime I've ever seen.

2. soundofsilence

soundofsilence New Member

I'm in favor of Cartoon Network for the most part, although my reason is perhaps a little strange and pathetic. I'm a college student. Therefore, I am poor. I also live and am attending school in a place where the anime selection is extremely limited. I have to drive for an hour just to find a place that carries anime, and 4/5s of their selection is DBZ. So the only way for me to see certain shows is if one of the networks airs them. Thanks to CN, I was able to see Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and Trigun. While I do agree with Fuuma that certain shows should be kept out of their reach (they would edit out all the Fuuma/Kamui torture scenes in X!), I don't see them as being a negative. I also watched the Sailor Moon episodes they played for a while, and, while the show was heavily edited, at least I was able to see two more seasons of the show. I'll be quiet now.

3. Tenchi Urashima

Tenchi Urashima New Member

damn

ill admit cn was the thing that got me interested on anime and the saturday night has a couple shows, ok mainly hack, but they used to sow card captors which is buy clamo and I LOOOOOOVE CLAMp, it depends if the rumors are true that rave master is going to cn then i can decide, because i just find something on the dvd rack and buy it :dizzy: pant pant pant

4. soundofsilence

I'm pretty sure Rave Master is going to be shown on Cartoon Network. I saw a preview for it the other day. I'm not sure when it's supposed to come on though.

5. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Haha, you sound just like a friend of mine. More power to ya, it pisses me off when people use "gay" as a derogatory term, too.

And man, CN just wants to keep piling on animes....

I swear, if I ever see Ranma 1/2 or Excel or something on their, I'll kill myself.

6. soundofsilence

Actually, I once saw one of those "card" thingies (sorry, not sure what they're actually called) that Adult Swim shows during comerical breaks that stated that they would "never show Ranma 1/2. Ever." So no worries there. They said a similar thing about Excel Saga. Now, if they start showing Evangelion, I will personally go to their offices and stab everyone inside. And remember, I LIKE Cartoon Network.

7. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

actually Ranma 1/2 is a very good anime personally I love it, I wish they aired SMJ and Love Hina and Naruto (please let the dubbing be excellent (Funimation))

8. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

I love Ranma 1/2 too, but seeing it on CN would involve so much bad dubbing and editing, it would make me sick.

9. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

I'm definitely in favor of Cartoon Network, at least in some aspects.

Toonami: I stopped watching this about a year ago, but from what I've heard, the only anime they're really showing is the dragonball series. I'm not even going to go into that, but let's just say I'm not a huge fan of the dragonball series (dragonball wasn't bad, but it got a little repetitive after that), and since most people (at least my age) generally don't stay up all night to watch "adult swim", this is the only anime they see (well Pokemon but that isn't much better). In short, they think that anime is really just a bunch of guys on steroids shooting magic energy balls at each other and exploding. I myself was one of those people until a good friend of mine (she's what you guys would consider an otaku, she's seen a wide variety of anime and not just CN stuff) convinced me to at least try Adult Swim in hopes that I'd like it and start dling some anime of my own.

I took her advice and immediately got hooked on .hack//sign, and Inuyasha once I had seen the entire .hack//sign series. I think Adult Swim is a great way to bring people into anime, they're usually able to get halfway decent shows which must not be easy, seeing as a wide variety of other networks already have claims on certain animes. They show anime that steers away from the "magic electricity balls" stuff, but still appeals to both genders. It's a great stepping stone into anime, and I'm thankful to it.

I am still what you people would consider a "CN watching anime n00b", but I recognize that. I know that (as much as I like Inuyasha) Inuyasha is NOT the best anime out there, and some of the animes in Japan are probably far better in some way or another. I know that what they show on Adult Swim is only a taste of everything else that's out there, and a whole genre shouldn't be based on it. The only reason I haven't started dling yet is because I just don't really want to right now. I get obsessed with things very easily and the last thing I want to do is become a complete anime freak and totally skave off on school (something I would probably do), so I think I'll wait until summer or something to start. Until then, I'll continue to watch Adult Swim.

But as someone on this board said (too lazy to look up who :p), Adult Swim is also bringing a lot of fans into anime who are firmly convinced that "INUYASHA IS THE BEST ANIME OF ALL TIME!" or "NOTHING CAN BEAT THE BIG O!" (though I may question the sanity of whoever agrees with that statement, sorry Big O lovers :-D). I use the Inuyasha forum a lot and while I'd rather hear viewpoints about the show, character dynamics, speculations, opinions, and all that, half the threads that are ever responded to are the ones that say "SO AND SO IS SOOOOO HOT!" So yes, I'd have to agree with you there. Adult Swim brings a lot of people into anime that don't understand that Adult Swim shows only a taste of what's out there.

All in all, I'm in favor of it. If it weren't for Adult Swim, I'd still probably think that anime is "some Japanese thing where big guys blow each other up".

10. toeskater91

toeskater91 New Member

i like it and don't like it.
    i see inu yasha which is the only good thing.

i had anime's i watched cancelled just because Miguzi is on weekdays and now toonami is on saturdays. since toonami is on saturdays it took 2 of my anime's and 2 anime's that i don't watch off the air.

that is why i hate cartoonnetwork more than i like it.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

What they said about excel Saga was..uh.. They were talking about FLCL and how it is one of the craziest anime's out there...and then they said that its not as crazy as Excel Saga.

...so maybe there's a chance that Excel Saga CAN come to Adult Swim...although it won't be a very good idea? duno...dont care..

12. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

i have never got into Anime if it wasn't for CN i like it but I wish they showed more the repeats of Cowboy bebop ( not that i don't love the Bebop) and just stop going over the really old Inuyasha's im dieing here waiting for new ones :sweat2:

13. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Well they ARE showing new ones tomorrow night... so you don't need to kick the bucket yet! ;-)

14. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

Yay, since the first anime I saw was on that channel... I still watch anime from other channels.

15. toeskater91

toeskater91 New Member

okay.
    iwant to change my opinion from totally hate it to dislike it some.
    i found out one of the shows they cancelled comes on around 1 in the morning on ummm friday knights i think.
    oh, i also like Teen Titans.
    i think how in Teen Titans some of the songs are sung in japanese.
    COOL :anime:
    i also like Teen Tians story line.