Movies Charlie And the Chocolate Factory (Post release)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Seishin, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Seishin

Seishin Guest

As most of you remember talking about way back, yesterday was released the remake of the Willy Wonka movie: Charlie, and the Chocolate Factory.

I gotta say it's a great movie. There IS more changes to the film than i expected (for the better) for example, like how they explain more about Wonka's family.

The acting of the crazy Willy Wonka by Johnny Depp is done great. He really brings life to the movie. The other characters (especially Charlie) do terrific as well.

The plot in this movie is something that will keep you entertained to the very end. All in all, i guess this movie is like already said: redemption for The Planet of the Apes. Great job Tim Burton!

What does everyone else think of this movie?

Out of subject: I remember about an old thread about Corpse Wife or something, well, yesterday on the trailers section of the movie, they showed the preview for the movie, and it looks preety good. (And yet ANOTHER Depp film oO! I long for Pirates of the Caribbean 2!!)

-Seishin

2. Hacker

Hacker ~Richie Rich~

i loved it!! Johnny Depp did a WONDERFUL job!!! ^_^ everything was in good, bright color....^^ it was just a very good movie. Only Johnny could get away with the line, "Don't touch that squarl's nuts." lol. i give it a 5 out of 5^____^

1 person likes this.
  3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I found Liquorheads review to be pretty much perfect. (For those not in the know, Liquorhead is an industry insider and a fellow goon. He also used to write for x-entertainment.)

1 person likes this.
  4. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Yep...I loved the remake. Knowing how exactly Willy Wonka met the little Umpa Lumpas (or spelled somewhat like that..idk) was preety funny.
    And it was also nice to see the kids ("bad nuts" :p) walking out of the factory all deformed. :)
    For some reason, I didnt even know that Count Dooku...erm....Cristopher Lee...was gonna be in the movie.

There was not a minute in the movie where i was bored.

I loved it. And I thought it was gonna be more of a kids' film...the theater was packed with more adult people.

- Kaiyon

5. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

The movie has been rather hyped, and I wonder if it's really that good. (The book kicked ass, we all know that), it has yet to debute on the swedish screens, which will be around..err...let's say october?

Who knows, this might be one of those overhyped movies, or...underrated ones.

- Teddz

6. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Mmm I saw Charlie in the IMAX cinema last night - the film was good, the IMAX was excellent.

1 person likes this.
  7. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

I'm going to see it tomorrow! I'm a big fan of Tim Burton and I'm sure it'll be brilliant.

But I was a little wierded out from Roger Ebert review, saying Willy Wonka was like Michael Jackson. In some ways this is true- the childlike home, inviting kids over, cringing whent he little girl hugs him, wearing makeup and accesorizing, etc ... but I think people just have Jacksonphobia these days.

8. wing_goddess

wing_goddess Power User

Johnny Depp said in an interview that he based his character on Marilyn Manson.

9. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

Hmm, that's interesting. I hope Ebert hears that. I'm not a big fan of Manson's music, but he has wicked style. It's so creepy.

10. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Odd. He didn't remind me at off Manson. Rather than a deranged older man. :p He did do a good job tho.

The remake was definatly a more twisted of the already twisted movie. More true the book. I liked it alot.

Though, I did not enjoy the songs that the Umpa Lumpa's sang. It was somewhat disapointing. :/

11. Hacker

Hacker ~Richie Rich~

are you sure it wasn't Jack White? lol, j/k

it didn't remind me of Manson. Johnny did a good job, who ever he based it off of^_^

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ever read the book, Jaken?

13. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Funny thing, Nephilim_X. I did read it. And I did find it to have more things incommon with the book, that's my opinion, sorry you don't agree and I'm sorry I don't base all my insite on a internet source, like you. Maybe I'll try it out?

It was the little things that I looked at. From grampa joe, his stories about wonka, the boat, the undergruond tunnels and rooms, the hair toffee, the nuts and squirels, Mike teavee with his father, the elevator crashing into the house. I just think it had more details like that in the movie, that were in the story. More than the older one.

I supposed my wording might have been misused maybe. But I still do think the movie portrayed more from the book, than the first. I'm sorry your source doesnt agree with my opinion.

14. username

username New Member

!!!!

I think J.Depp Looked and acted like a child molester(sp). He just looked way to creepy .

1 person likes this.
  15. Seishin

Seishin Guest

You know, I'd figure maybe that he looked crazy, or freaky. But like a child molester is just wrong and inappropiate. Guess we all ARE entitled to our thoughts after all though, no matter how odd.....

-Seishin

16. Orion

Orion Gears

I agree, he didn't look like a child molester, he just looked a tad bit crazy. Can we please keep those kinds of opinions to ourselves? Thanks.

-Ian

17. sapphire_deity

sapphire_deity New Member

Have yet to see the movie. It opens on the 3rd of August here, so 'til then--I'll hold my opinions.

18. Orion

Orion Gears

Hmm... It seems your location is nowhere. :) I can see that commercial, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, opens nowhere August 3rd." Ah ha, that's funny. :D

-Ian

19. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

No offense to you two. But I think that was rather cocky and fairly jerky of you. I did't really think it was fair for you to rip on him like that. Nor did his opinion really seem inopropriet at all.

Dare I say it. But I kind of do agree with him. Depp did somewhat resemble a child molester. As in the way he portrayed Wonka. And the way he talked and acted.