Computers Chat Room ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Lance Avalanche, Dec 19, 2002.

1. excuse me but i carn't make the chat room work, could you please help me out, i click chat on the site and it comes up with just a big box but with the three shapes in the corner showing it carn't be displayed.

how do i chat ?

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

If you are behind a restrictive firewall or without Java support, you'll be unable to make use of the applet version of the chat room.

In that case, you can still get the same job done over IRC. We are on the quakenet.org server under the channel #mangatoanime

You likely will need a client such as MIRC if you don't already have one...but then again, if you're firewall is restrictive enough, that might not work for you either.

3. do u know how i turn the firewall of ?

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It all depends on how your setup is. Some people have software-based firewalls, other systems have physical fireboxes, etc...

5. Does M2A have a chatroom at Mirc

6. Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny i wuv you

yeah its #mangatoanime and its the bomb diggidy tbh... looking forward to your visit lol!! ^.^

7. Kairo

Kairo New Member

I don't think a firewall would restrict you getting a java program..altho it would restrict you connecting.

I'm betting you're probably using Windows XP without the service pack installed.

A fresh install of windows XP doesnt actually have the Java compiler installed..

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default.asp

You can get Service Pack 1 here..which will install all the necessary java components.

Or alternativly..you can download mIRC as baka suggested.

Connect to quakenet and join #mangatoanime channel

Happy IRC'ing :)

8. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Presenting, once again, Ark's Step-By-Step guide to IRC for the Masses! (the masses use Windows, so that's what this is geared towards)

1) Go to www.mirc.com
    2) Click 'Download mIRC' (second link on the left hand side)
    3) Click on 'mIRC 6.03 in Georgia' or any other download link
    4) A box asking what you want to do with the file should pop up, click 'Open'
    5) Wait for mIRC to download
    6) A box will open, click 'Next'
    7) Click 'Yes'
    8) Click 'Install'
    9) Click 'Finish'
    10) The installation is complete. Click on your Start button
    11) Click 'Programs'
    12) Click 'mIRC'
    13) Click 'mIRC' in the popdown window (2nd icon)
    14) Behold! Your irc client.
    15) Fill in the name, email, nickname, and alternative fields. Use your prefered nickname for all of them if you are concerned about people getting your email address.
    16) Click on the drop-down box that says 'Random US DALnet server' and scroll down to 'Quakenet: Random Server'
    17) Click 'Connect to IRC server'
    18) Wait until the screen stops scrolling, you should see a line that starts with 'Local Host'.
    19) Type '/join #mangatoanime' (WITHOUT the quotation marks)
    20) Talk with us.

There. If someone manages to screw up these directions, they rightfully should commit seppuku with a frisbee. If you are literate and can follow directions, you can get on irc. Try not to make an idiot of yourself ;)

- Ark