Check out the newly-revised Wikipedia G-Force page, by me!!!

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Dirk Daring, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

C'mon guys.............don't die out on me now!!! Anyone still alive??? Seriously, there's been some people who haven't been here in years. :(

Back on topic, these last few weeks have been pretty interesting for me. Seeing as I've had a lot of free time on my hands, I managed to stumble upon:

- 10+ year old newsgroups and usenet convos from around the period in which G-Force premiered on CN (which I later found out was on January 2, 1995). I absorbed a whole lot of info and goodies from these ancient, archived convos, and it was interesting to see how things were back then (and here I thought 1995 was the "breakout" year for the internet!). But I also witnessed first-hand the mass confusion that occured upon G-Force's premiere, and convo after convo people were confused and mixing up G-Force with BotP, thrown off by the new names, voices and music. They lambasted G-Force very, very badly, despite it's good qualities. All of that bashing had me fuming and ready to cuss people out...........when I realized they were archived, decade plus-old convos. :p I figure these people had somewhat of a hand in G-Force's limited success and short stint here in the U.S.

- I also stumbled upon some guy from South America who had most of the Spanish dub of G-Force and uploaded it to P2P!!! Seeing as my native language is Spanish (though it's getting worse every passing year), I immediately jumped at this opportunity. It was nice seeing more G-Force episodes..............but it just wasn't the same considering it was in Spanish, as Spanish dubs slightly alter even English scripts that are already pre-edited like G-Force, to accomodate the language and their culture. I NEED to hear it in the original English, but we all know how next to impossible it is to get copies of the limited CN run of G-Force now don't we??? The show was more successful and had more of a following abroad, and thus has been re-ran more often abroad.

These two events inspired me to further spread the word of GoS, more than just these message board convos we've been having for years, but not exactly putting up a full-fledged website either. The solution: Wikipedia. The then-current GoS article on Wikipedia was a bare-bones stump of a page, with the text copypasted off one of the Gatch fansites IIRC. So I sat down, rolled up my sleeves and completely re-built that page from top to bottom over a sleepless weekend. Many, many revisions and tweaks later, the "meat" of the page is more or less complete. It was a lot of work and effort that I now wonder whether it was all worth it. I hope that with this article more people become better informed about GoS and stop confusing it with BotP. This is the best I can do short of creating a GoS fansite (which isn't worth the effort). to show my appreciation for GoS. It's sad really, how when I Google GoS most of my GoS-related conversations across various websites (including this one!!!) pop up on the first pages. Sad and..........creepy. With that said, here is the fruit of my weekend labor, the NEW AND IMPROVED G-Force: GoS Wikipedia article!!!:

Before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=G-Force:_Guardians_of_Space&oldid=117004546

AFTER!!!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Force:_Guardians_of_Space

And here's the equivalent BotP and Gatchaman pages for good measure and comparison:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatchaman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Planets

Comments and feedback anyone???

2. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Way to go, Dirk! I had noticed in the pas that this page was pretty dry, and I even thought, "if anyone would fix this, Dirk would." Nice job! You give honor to the series with that page.

3. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Thanks Mark!!! The page is still an ongoing project a week after I first started it, but the meat of it is more-or less done. Being the perfectionist I am, even the most minuscule of edits take me ages to properly insert. I don't think I'll ever create another Wikipedia page again, way too time-consuming and meticulous!!!

So, how goes life for you??? ;)

4. G-3

G-3 New Member

wow I haven't been in here in ages it seem's.
    well i've been watching a'lot of my G-force vhs's and am back in the mood
    for my favorite anime, anywaaaays...awesome Wikipedia page Dirk, very nicely done,