Manga Cine Manga

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by toeskater91, May 6, 2004.

1. toeskater91

toeskater91 New Member

i saw an add for this in another manga and it scared me.
    cine manga is kim possible and lizzie Mcguire.
    SCARY :eek:

tell me your opinion

2. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

For one, its not even close to being manga...
    And its also just a bad idea. The Americans who like those shows will pick it up and say "What the hell is manga?!"
    Lastly, the dialog is really pathetic in those and I just don't recomend them to a soul...

3. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Yeah, I keep seeing that junk when I search for manga on eBay or Amazon. >_< Basically, it looks like animation comics - or that's my assumption. They're just comics made of arranged screencaptures from the show, right? Or something similar?

Anyway, it's all just another example of American animators and other companies trying to tap into the popularity of anime. Irritates me to no end... -_- And it creates a constant string of n00bs who need to have "real" manga explained to them. Not that I mind explaining, but those types rarely bother to be coherent or make any pretense at intelligence. Meh. The anime fandom is better off without them ever hearing the word "manga."

4. bluefuzyslipper

bluefuzyslipper New Member

Lizzie MGuire is the stupidest show ever (those who like it, please don't take offense). Her songs are good, but the TV show is bad. All my friends dont know what manga is, and when I explain it to them, they say "that's stupid" GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :catgirl:

5. toeskater91

toeskater91 New Member

i think it is soooooooooooooooooo stupid.
    making a manga type thing off a show who is casted by REAL people isn't manga.
    whoever thought this is must of known nothing about manga.
    i wonder if anybody likes it? no one has said they do.
    i haven't read it but i don't like it.

6. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

While the general concept of cine-manga isn't bad (I've seen it for Inuyasha, Escaflowne, and Spirited Away)...I feel that it is a misnomer for the term to be applied to animation comics taken from American shows.

However, there isn't much we can do about it. The companies releasing the products are going to market them how they choose; the only thing we as consumers can do is not buy the products we dislike (and write to the companies with our complaints, of course).

Releasing cine-manga for shows like Kim Possible and Lizzie McGuire does make some logical sense. Cine-manga has done well in Japan (the examples I cited above), and American companies are expanding beyond the Japanese market. It is unfortunate that better shows couldn't be chosen, but Kim Possible isn't bad...it's just rather predictable.

*shrugs* I guess it doesn't really bother me as much as it seems to bother some people. I just keep on doing what I've been doing, explaining things to people when they ask questions, and hoping that what I say will stick in some fashion.

~Shadrach Anki

7. Dilandau

I suppose my only irritation with the idea of American cine-manga is that they insist on using the term "manga" - which, to most people, implies something of Japanese origin. I know that "manga" is simply the Japanese word for what we'd call comics in most English-speaking countries, but outside of Japan "manga" is usually taken to mean Japanese comics specifically. Applying the term to something like Kim Possible is silly, and a painfully obvious attempt by American animation companies to tap into the popularity of anime/manga without actually rising to the Japanese standards of art and plot quality. ;P

8. ~CP~

~CP~ New Member

Hmmm, see that bugs the hell out of me to no extent. The kind of thing that ruins manga for people that may have ended up actually like it. Also, even though manga is just pretty much the Japanese word for comic, doesn't it always seem to be much more. Like all the american comics, Spider Man, Super Man Bat Man, are all drawn by different people, at different times with a whole group of people and different storylines. Most manga seems to me to be drawn by one mangaka who soley created it and although discussed with editors has pretty much the say in how it should be. No alternate storylines, no other artists.

Anyway though, Kim Possible and Lizzy McGuire are the farthest things away from this right now and it just really bugs me. Okay, I'm done. :anime:

9. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

I am personally offended.

Tokyopop, don't betray me, you're going to far.

10. Miko

Miko New Member

I saw that the last time I was in Waldenbooks. My jaw just kinda hit the ground. What the crap are they thinking?

11. Dilandau

...They were thinking when they released Lizzie McGuire and Kim Possible cine-manga? XD

It all comes down to profit.

12. Miko

Miko New Member

I would think the only people who would buy into that would be kids. And I doubt they were actually thinking when they did this.

13. Pantsu

Pantsu New Member

DEATH TO ALL CINE-MANGA!!!!! :bleed2: IT IS A COMPLETE DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Dilandau

I dunno about that, Pantsu... As Shadowbard said, the Japanese have been producing cine-manga for years - and I'm more inclined to accept that than I am to accept American-produced, non-anime-related cine-manga. (Call me an elitist, but... still...)

Granted, I don't really like cine-manga in general, even those produced in conjunction with an anime. It's all just recycling the anime images into something else that can be sold. *would rather have either a real manga or an artbook*

15. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Oh, and might I remind you all... anime DID come from Disney. o_0

But I still spit upon these cinemangas.

But you know what? Amongst manga fans, they'll FAIL. Miserably.

Kids will like 'em... but c'mon, how many kids would read as opposed to buying the video?

16. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Ugh, I was browsing through a favorite anime store of mine a few weeks past and glanced at the new releases to see what I had to look forward to in the manga community, and my jaw literally dropped when I realized there were more upcoming releases for the cine manga industry then manga in its original form. That's So Raven, Lizzie Mc Guire, and Kim Possible at least make some sense, even if I don't strongly approve. But the Lizzie Mc Guire MOVIE? How on Earth do you plan to make a manga out of that, and more to the point, exactly what sort of audience is this catering to? As UFOtaku stated in her previous post, the sort of kids who'll even be attracted to those shows enough to actually purchase merchandise for them would probably rather view the show then read anyhow.

17. Ryuichi

Ryuichi New Member

Its not my thing.. it kinda scares me....