Eirtaku Computer Stuff

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by MrNewtype, Feb 25, 2004.

1. MrNewtype

MrNewtype New Member

Considering the vast computer related awareness present at this forum I have a question for ya'll.

What EXACTLY (assume I know no detail no matter how obvious to you guys) do I need to do to set up a wireless internet connection to an ADSL phone socket? I want to be able to move around a laptop while connected. Is this even possible? If so, will I see a drop in the speed of the connection and where do you think I'd find the cheapest yet reasonably good quality equipment to do all this.

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

-Newtype

2. TheSonOfBattles

TheSonOfBattles New Member

Best bet when your buying stuff for a start would be either:

Komplett

or...

Overclockers

Komplett.ie is an Irish site, but it's been dicely up till recently on deliveries. Overclockers.co.uk is an English site, and you may find what your looking for slightly cheaper than komplett at times once you've converted price to the euro and added shipping charges etc.

As for what you'll need, you'll basically need to pick up 2 things: A wireless access point, and a wireless network card. Such as these from komplett:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=117029&cks=PRL

and...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=121268&cks=PRL

I not exactly a whiz kid on this kinda thing, so those 2 prolly aren't compatible or something, but it'll give you an idea of what you need to look for if nothing else.

All you'd need to do to set them up is:

A) Plug the wireless access point into an electrical socket

B) Run a cat5 cable between your wireless access point and the telephone socket.

C) Fit the wireless card into your laptop

D) Install the software for both the wireless access point and network card using discs provided.

Afaik, that'd be it.

If there's any mistakes there, someone please correct me, 'cause I ain't 100% on these kinda things.

3. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

Otaku Tech for computar machine related stuff tbh, for future reference.