Computers Cooling...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by SaberJ2X, Apr 14, 2003.

1. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

Anyone has experience mounting a Volcano 9 /w Arctic silver III "tooth paste"?

If so gimme some tips... like easier way to allign the heatsink so the thermal grease doesn't move to much when mounting it, and need re-applying...

if so... I'll be very happy with ya'

2. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

uhhhhhhhh....

ok, first off, how much ASIII you using? You should be applying that stuff in a layer roughly as thick as a single piece of paper, slightly less thick than that really. You do not want to just stick a bunch of that stuff on the heatsink and smack it onto the cpu, your processor A) will not turn on, and B) if you DO manage to get it to turn on, it'll burn out very fast, possibly within 30 seconds.

The best way to apply Arctic Silver is to tear off a small piece of paper and put a SMALL amount of AS onto it. Then you use the piece of paper to apply the AS to the cpu, spreading it evenly and thinly across it, enough so that you cannot see the original markings on the cpu, but no more than that. Then you want to do the same process to the heatsink, applying a very thin coat of thermal gel over about a 2 inch square.

The heatsink itself shouldn't be too hard to mount, if I remember right the newer Volcano units actually have a little lever to lock the heatsink down, pretty simple to figure out. If not, just use a flatblade screwdriver to gently push the clip down over the cpu, while steadying the heatsink with your other hand to avoid pressure being put directly onto the cpu (which can wreck it).

- Ark

3. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I knew the part that had to be really thin... but you gave me now a precisely about how thick... thankz

I'm going to order a Thermaltake SLK-800U or the 900U (around 50$)with a Vantec Tornado Fan. Yes I know they're noisy but a rating of 112cfm is a seller to me... I don't care about noise I want my PC not to Fry...

I also need money to buy a new P/S a 250W (30$ only) is no good for this AMD palomino of mine... the thing locks up when trying to set FSB to 147Mhz

now... C/W 0.28 ~ 0.31 is not very good for me

well considering i live in the tropics 33'C is no sweat my CPU soffocates in 54'C at full Load and idles at 48'C or 49'C

It's night... right now my PC is at 29'C MOBO and 45'C CPU and rate it at C/W 0.26 which isn't bad... only not sufficient