Saber Marionette Couple of SM JtoX questions

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by JasonSolaris, Mar 11, 2006.

1. JasonSolaris

JasonSolaris New Member

Hi. I recently got interested in the series and was able to pick up the Ultimate Collection set (signed and numbered BTW).. Had a couple of questions/opinons about the ending that I don't think I was able to find an existing/older thread on..

Near the end when the 3 were acending toward Hesse's ship, they ask Otaru who he loved the most, it appears he was ready to tell them, but of course drown out by the noise of the erruption around him. I guess we'll never know what was said, but do you guys think the girls actually heard the respond, or just being sarcastic..

What do people think of Hana at the end? I don't think he was given enough credit by sticking with Otaru in his darkest hour and even trying to convince Lime and Cherry that they really belong to him..

So I guess with the series so old, it's very unlikely that some type of OVA to try to tie up some loose strings? Like Bloodberry's flashbacks in the tour eps. Would have like to see some type of connection with Earth and perhaps sending some women of various ages to Terra II so the current generation can get some action.. Maybe further expansion on the Saberdolls?

Thanks

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the fandom! :) May I ask, sub or dub? I've always been a subbie myself.

Who could know, except the creator of the series. I've always been of the belief that they did hear him, and that Otaru chose Lime. I suppose it's something that's left up to the viewers to decide, and I know I'd never have it any other way.

At the beginning of SMJ, I thought Hana-chan was pretty absurd and definately little more than comic relief. However, by the end of SMJ to X, it was clear that he'd grown up, as had everyone else, into a very different person. I was definately impressed by his actions at the end of the series and indeed he was more or less ignored by the end...

However, being as he wrote the book about Otaru's adventures (literally! :p), I wouldn't be too surprised if he snuck in a few "special" moments. ;) It is Hanagata, after all. :D

I dunno... by the end of the series, I'd always seen it as being simply "finished." With very little more to tell, I can't really see what a potential OVA could cover, save for the girls' new lives. In any case, at this point in time I'd leave expansion and connection to the fandom, wouldn't you say? There've been countless fanfics that have been written in the post J to X period, you have but to look for them. ;)

[shameless plug][thread=14675]My fanfic[/thread][/shameless plug]

:p

3. JasonSolaris

JasonSolaris New Member

;)
    Hey.. Started with dub for SM J and J Again.. But after the first couple of discs of JtoX, just couldn't stand the dub anymore.. Finished the rest of the series subbed.. Most likely I'll revisit J and J Again subbed at a later date.

Yeah. With the motioning, it's clear that something was said.. But it seemed that all of their reactions seemed subdued, even's Lime's if she was the ones choosen.. So I sorta took it as none of the hear and their reactions was sorta like "Yeah, this again. We'll never know.. Oh well"..

Yeah. maybe I'll check some fanfics when I run across them. Thanks for the plug ;) But at this point where the series is serveral years old, is there still a passion for it in the community? Maybe there be more renewed interest when the Anime Legends version comes out..
    Later

4. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

It's definately possible, another thought is that by that point, they simply didn't care anymore. They all loved Otaru, and they didn't care which he loved the most. Who can say, really?

You're welcome. :p In any case if you;re looking for an SMJ fan community, you've definately come to the right place. More SMJ fans have been here on BJP than any other forum on the net. :p

But do tell, what of this "Anime Legends" version? I've never heard of anything of the sort.

5. JasonSolaris

JasonSolaris New Member

Just a re-released from Bandai:

http://www.bandai-ent.com/products/product_details.cfm?id=539

Looks like J and JtoX will have their own Anime Legend version. No idea if they are just re-pressed discs or updated contents (like newer trailers and the such).. I think they're doing this to some of thier older series like Escaflowne and Love Hina..
    Later

6. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

As for the original question, in the spanish dub he tells that the three are his girlfriends :rolleyes:

that's kinda like cheating, youknow. But I'm glad with the ending :)

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Why did none of the three seem to show an evident sign of happiness or sadness at Otaru's choice?

Look back at what had happened over the course of their memory loss. Each had found new lives, and before Hess was in the picture they had been ready for being chosen or left behind. They had developed ties to more than just Otaru, and with another path to follow if he happened not to choose them, I think they were ready to accept it.

My interpretation was that they were ready to accept whatever his decision was, and they asked solely for the purpose of finally laying the question to rest. Keep in mind that at this point in time the marionettes were rushing off to where they were pretty certain they would not be able to return.

There is, of course, no official answer. Otaru's voice and mouth are cut from the vital part of his speech, and purposely. I suppose the spanish version would be the exception to the rule, but translations have been known to take artistic licensing.

Saber Marionette has always had a limited community from what I've seen, but by that same token, the majority of those I have met within its following are just as passionate now as they were when it was new. Either that, or I'm blinded by my own feelings towards it. ^^

8. Xel

Xel New Member

Shame on me for missing this post.

Well, you'll hear any number of opinions on what Otaru said to them, as you've probably been able to tell by now. ^^; But I personally believe that Otaru's lack of choice of those three is absolutely vital to what they're all about, so I don't think he chose one at all. And I think that may be very freeing to them, too-- though just finally getting an answer is the freeing part, no matter what it was. Believing that they wouldn't be coming back, I would imagine getting that answer from Otaru to be the final bit of closure to their lives. An important one, at that, because his lack of choice-- indicated by his inaudible answer, IMHO, would carry through into his new relationship with them as their father, rather than a master or a lover.

And as for the lover part, since everyone's ultimately so interested in who gets Otaru... ;D Well, I think the end of SMJ to X-- and not just the end, actually, but the entire series-- stresses the imperative that Otaru not choose any of the girls. If he's going to wind up with anyone in a romantic sense, it has to be an "other." An outsider to the trio-Otaru dynamic, be it Lorelei, a convenient union of the girls, or... well, another breed entirely. You all know who I'm rooting for. :D

I'm so totally with you on this. That's part of what he is, though, I think. Aside from very rare occasions, he's sort of destined to lurk in the background, being an "outsider" to the Otaru/girls thing like Lorelei. Thing is, he spends a lot more time with them than Lorelei does, so it's a lot more noticable. It's sad, really, because he's probably the only person in the series that has never once truly left Otaru, by accident or intent. And while all the chaos of the series goes on, he really gets nothing for that loyalty at all, ever.

Of course... anyone here can tell you that I feel that he's rewarded in full at the end. :D

9. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

Holy crapola me too! I must post here aswell!! Does it really matter that I'm a little late? It's SM!! ..ahem anyway^_^;

At first, I thought that because of all the noise going on, they each thought they heard their own names because thats what they wanted to hear all along, but knowing the development of the characters and how mature they became in the end, it seems more reasonable that they actually DID hear a name and they all accepted it. It didn't matter in the end who was chosen really because they had all developed beyond their own selfishness. All that mattered was that they loved him and they all knew he loved them back.

I completely agree...but then again, Hana was never given enough (if any) credit for anything :p

I agree with Rice on this one, I liked the end and how it seemed finished. It's definately the kind of ending that allows for infinite fan fics (and some pretty awesome ones have emerged at that :p)