Art Crest of the Star Art

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kyo_Masaki, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Kyo_Masaki

Kyo_Masaki New Member

Um... I'm not sure if here's the right place to post this but... eh to late :p

Anyway I was reading a review of an anime called Crest of the Stars, and I was looking at some of the artwork in it.. and the character designs looked... well.... ugly. The characters faces look very strange... does anyone know what I'm talking about? if you do.. do the characters look like that through out the whole anime?

2. Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly New Member

uuuh, well could you at least post a picture so I can see what you are talking about?

3. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

It all depends on what you think. At times, they look odd-shaped, I'll admit, but they also have moments when you're just stunned at how beautiful they look.

Take Captain Lexsh, for one. The first time we see her, she looks big-headed. The rest of the time (if I remember correctly), she looked gorgeous. I loved the kind look in her eyes when she tells Lafiel/Lamhirh to go and that she'll see her at the capital.

There are times when their faces looked very odd-shaped, as I mentioned above. But I think that's not really such a negative point that you can't enjoy the series. (I love this series, Kyo...^~)

4. Kyo_Masaki

Kyo_Masaki New Member

Oh yeah... picture.... *coughs*

I probably would like the series Stardust, after reading the review on it. It is anime after all ;)

Attached Files:

5. Stardust Phox

Oh~ Pic of Lady Spoor! ^_^; She's so cool. You first see her in the final volume. (hehe...) She's awesome. I mean, -- I can't say anymore or I'll spoil it! ^_^;;

I'd always noticed that their faces were oddly shaped.. (I mean, the little 'curve-down-to-the-chin' is a bit too low for my tastes). But sometimes, like in Ep 5, when Lafiel's in an odd 3/4 view, her eyes take on a different shape, and she looks so~ cool!

You'll like it. It's got everything. Humor, angst(ish), death... And I promise you that, if anything, the ending will slap you in the face. (Hehe... Lady Spoor... *cackle*)

6. Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly New Member

Well it does look like her eyes are buldging out, it looks profesional but I can see how one can find a way not to like it.

7. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's just a different style. I'd say you could say the same thing about SMJ with their crazy assed bulgy cheeks.

8. Solid_dragoon

Solid_dragoon New Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with it either.Apart from the fact that her skin colour makes her look sea sick...I think*scratches head and rubs eyes*

9. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Yeah, i kinda noticed the same thing.

The first time i watched the series (JtoX), they looked SO UGLY in the intro! Well, I don't know why they were drawn that way... heh. But one thing's sure - we tend to like characters who look childish - rounded / cheeky faces, big eyes... maybe that's why Anime's so popular in general.

10. Stardust Phox

Funny you should say that. ^^;

A friend of mine told me why she thought anime characters are drawn the way they are. (Generally) It's a pretty farfetched idea, but it makes sense when you think about it...

It went along the lines of "they draw them the way they see Americans: big eyes, long legs."

11. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

the 'Abs' (the blue haired aliens) are a product of genetic enhancement if I recall.. so to look waifish and elven seemed normal to me, in how they were animated. ..