Neon Genesis Evangelion Disscussion about the Neon Genesis Evangelion Anime Series

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Seishin, May 31, 2006.

1. Seishin

Seishin Guest

This is preety much starting with the actual 26 episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Starting this conversation, I'm going to admit, I really liked this Anime, but why is it that everyone thinks it's the most glorious thing to ever happen?

-Seishin

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I'll try to sum this up in a post as short as I can make it.

Evangelion was *not* by any means glorious. I thought RahXephon did a much better job finishing off everyone's karma by definition of story context. Everybody got an ending. By no means is Evangelion bad, but I think most of its fandom comes from the the fact that happens to be one of the "different" genre that people see first. They'll usually see stuff like Naruto, then see Evangelion and go, "whoa". That's where Evangelion shines. It becomes something that affects you on a mental level. You almost feel Anno's angst and depression through Shinji, Misato and Asuka. It's palpable. He elaborates it maniacally throughout the whole series, and it really begins to get to you. And I think that's it most shining feature.

As for EoE, I liked it as a standalone "alternate universe". I, by no means, see it as Canon. Anno himself said that EoE was NOT what he wanted, and that the anime's ending was enough. I thought so to, from a certain standpoint. I see where he's coming from. Anno *is* Shinji, and it is enough that he comes to terms with himself. He is, afterall, the main protagonist. EoE just ended it by Anno killing everyone. The end. He makes a rough recall by keeping Asuka and Shinji alive...but there's no "happy" ending at all. In terms of overall feeling, the 26th episode accomplishes that better. In the end, Shinji feels he can accept himself and his peers. That's enough.

Summarizing. Evangelion is what peppers anime nowadays with some sort of pschological bend. It became the "gateway drug" to bring in more sophisticated and thought-provoking series stateside. I wouldn't say it was made Lain the series it was, but I feel that it made it just a tiny bit more acceptible as another form of thriller. ^_^

And I don't know if any of that made any sense.

And Rei is hot.

3. Seishin

Seishin Guest

More than Shinji finding himself, it would have still left questions unanswered.

It definetly felt more satisfiying than the EoE, in any way possible.

However, it also takes to an unleft saide of the Series.

The human research project had to be ended at some point. Just because the last Angel was defeated, it left an effect that the world was going to be fine.

Besides, I thought it was kind of dull, comparing to how Asuka finds herself in sync with Eva Unit 02 so quickly, they could'a just done that in the anime.

The last two episodes were practically all reflection, and too much of it. Some of that could have been cut off for a happier ending...
    Indeed. It's all mostly proven in Shinji's image of his 'perverted self' in the last episode, which was the best moment in the series of Evangelion.

-Seishin

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I'm of the mind that the introspection is the culmination of Shinji's thoughts and depression and "seeing the light" as it were. He wasn't happy until he found his center, and that makes it worth sitting through two episodes of speculation.

It may be just me, but I was happy that I didn't find out how everyone else turned out. Who was important was Anno/Shinji and how they revelled in the changes they wrought for themselves. =]