Harry Potter Do you like "Harry Potter"?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by me_dreaming_zzz, Mar 11, 2005.

1. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

Harry Potter books and movies became very popular around the world and made JK Rowling the richest woman in England(so i heard). And who could think that a book about teenage magician(who looks like a nerd :D ) would become such a best seller? I started to read the first volume when i was 16 but i couldnt finish, honestly i found it too childish, just wasnt my thing i guess. But many of my friends became addicted. However, i really liked the second and third HP movies. I think I'll try again to read a book, but i might start with the volume 4, as i seen 3 movies.

2 people like this.
  2. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

You should indeed try to read the books, cause their a lot more better then the movies (which i hate). The first 2 books are kinda childish, but from around three onwards things start to grow up.

3. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

I saw the movies, which I did enjoy. Not a great story but a good one.
    As for the books, I read a bit but I couldn't finish even a chapter. It's too childdish, yes. (I've read 'The Hobbit' which is childdish too but I feel it very different than HP)

Maybe I'll give it a try later, to know what's gonna happen later. I'd start from the latests books, though.

4. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Im not an all out fan, but I like Harry Potter. I certanly dont hate him...but he's okay!

-K

5. seto/joey rlz!

seto/joey rlz! New Member

I like it some. It's not what my world revolves around though. *coughcoughyaoicough* :D

6. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

I prefere the book over the movie the book's are better that's all

7. Iya

Iya HIP ATTACK!

Actually the Queen of England is.

The books are definetly better than the movies. In the movies they skip some of the scenes in the book.
    I like Harry Potter but I'm not obssessed with it.

8. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

I liked the books, and I liked the movies. I like Harry Potter, I wouldn't say that it is great, but it isn't bad. To me it kinnda falls a little above so/so.

9. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

I absolutely love Harry Potter. The books are great, and I never get sick of re-reading them. I also love the fandom -- the theories for future books that people think up, the fanfiction; all of it is great. The movies are also pretty good, it's a shame that not everything can be showed on screen.. otherwise the movies would average 5 hours each.

10. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Actually shes richer then the Queen. By 2003 she had made over £125million with the release of The Order Of The Phoenix and the realses of The Chamber Of Secrets movie.

Kinda ironic that she was very poor when she started out.

11. Kagome_Akari

Kagome_Akari New Member

I used to be adicted, but then...I kinda lost intrest. I can speak exactly like Harry, Hermione, Ron, Malfoy, and Jennie. I have all the books, posters, movies (the ones that are out). I have shirts, hats. But now it's all kinda somewhere else.

12. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

i prefer the books over the movies because they give you more info and they make you think alot more. i love reading those books. but i will not watch the movie before reading the book, thats just the way i am.

13. phatso

phatso New Member

Books over the movie id prefer the books and i read all the books except for the new one and i was soo dissapointed when i watched the third movie i thought it had nuthing to do with the book they have skipped so many things which will be present in the upcoming movies!! if they are going to make movies they might as well do one thats good!

14. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I've read the books, up to "The Order of the Phoenix", and seen all of it's movies by far. They're both really great, except i would much rather prefer to watch the movies. It's more fun since it takes your imagination, and shows it to you on the TV (or better than you excpected....). All in all, it's all great!

-Seishin

15. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

I read the 1st three and decided I wounlt read any more, they were all a bit of a struggle frankly, because I don't like her writing or the characters very much, when she tries to do funny voices, etc. it's a bit embarrassing, The stories are really not that interesting either, but ive read a lot of books and have plenty to compare that with.

I agree with the people who like the films better, well I saw the 1st one, and thought it was way better than the book. I think because of the adults, they are better actors than she is a writer. The kids are so-so.

I like more adult stuff that has a better quality style of writing to it, and more interesting ideas. Examples of that are Iain Banks and William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, yes and Philip Pullman. Dont get me wrong Im not into literature, I like SF fantasy and crime, but there is quality writing there, just don't think JK Rowling is it, sorry if that upsets fans.

JK Rowling is definitely richer than the Queen Elizabeth II, JKR's a billionaire now, if you measure in US$, and the Queen hasn't made that yet. However JKRowling is the 2nd richest woman in UK as of this year. I dont think the Queen will catch her up, theres rumours shes seriously ill and might not live that many more years.

BTW I am not jealous of JKR I think its excellent what shes done, keeping the UK on the map in entertainment, and getting milions of kids reading books, not to mention adults. Good luck to her.

16. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

I just love the way they talk in the movies. I have a country acsent, I wish
    I had a British acsent.The books are pretty cool. I've read 1 an 2 the rest
    if there are any more I haven't got around to.

17. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I noticed one thing about Harry Potter:

http://www.sandstorming.com/dump/potter.gif

That pretty much sums it up. I never particularly cared for the books, and I never bothered to watch the movies. Perhaps one day, I'll give Harry Potter another chance, but, for now, no.

18. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

i don't like the character 'harry potter,' but the story etc, yes. just because it has the fantasy thing going on.

but i absolutely love their british accent. i've been talking like that ever since i saw the movie. -_-;;

lol. i had this dream a few nights back that i was this vampire/fallen angel/ princess in the wizarding world. i went on many adventures with harry and the gang. one of them was to defeat voldemort. we got to him, but.. then i woke up.

19. Tohru-san

Tohru-san New Member

What do you guys mean by british accents? do we really all sound so different?

20. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

You mean you can't tell? Everyone has an accent, no accent is better than any other, but often a foreign accent can sound attractive. I like some accents, not others so much, its a very personal thing. I like the southern american accent quite a lot that someone mentioned they had, a French accent can sound nice too, and Japanese of course ^_^.

I have a British accent, its not like Harry Potter though, because I'm common and he's more posh ^_~ A lot of the accents on HP are fairly fake and unrealistic. Thats how it sounds to me.

I suppose the main thing with what most people outside of the UK think of as a British accent is saying laahst & faahst (last & fast), and "butter" sounds more like "battah" and we never say Rs if they are before a consonant or at the end of a word. But thats really only the ENGLISH southern accent, in other parts of the country we dont talk like that at all, especially in Scotland and Wales, who are British too but dont talk anything like HP or Prince William.

1 person likes this.