Debate Do you think it is possible to travel faster then the speed of light?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hiro, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

I have a theory that i think shows that it might be possible to travel faster then the speed of light. Of course it is nowheres near a perfect theory but at least it is one. okay here it goes....

a black hole is formed from the extremely dense matter of a collapsed star. The gravity produced by this matter is so great that it even bends/pulls in light. No for my theory, if light is able to be bent , not deflected, wouldnt there be another possible way to travel faster then it? When i say this i mean wouldnt it be possible to travel fast enough that when traveling past a black hole, you will be going too fast for the gravity to effect you. This is why light doesnt bend to a normal planets grvaity, b/c it is traveling at too fast a rate for the gravity to have effect.

I decided to put this in the debate forum instead of the philosophy b/c i want to debate this theory not discuss it. I want to know what others think of this and what flaws are present in this....so....start posting!!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Well, light is caught by black holes not because of its limited velocity, but because the deformation in time/space that black holes create. Hard to explain... harder to understand :p

But why don't you post your question on the http://physorg.com forums? I'm sure you'd get an awful lot of explanations there.

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

There's a HUGE disparity between the gravitational pull of a planet, and the pull of a black hole. Consider how huge a star is and how powerful its field is. Now consider how condensed that star is as a black hole.

And I think light is affected by our gravity field, but it's incredibly small-scale.

4. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yeah, but Hiro is discussing FTL on a macro level.

6. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Officially, no. According to the theory of relativity, the closer to the speed of light you get, the more momentum you require exponentially, until at the speed of light, when momentum would be infinite, meaning you need zero mass.

However, it has recently been shown through observation that the speed of light is slowing down, thus it may not be completely insurmountable. I currently stick with the "no" theory until more proof is put forward.

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

kind of like when you fall from a great height and reach errr i think it's called terminal velocity, where you no longer gain speed?

and here's an innocent question, how could the speed of light be slowing down? i'm just curious on that. (i likes space o_O)

8. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Yes, very much like that. Thanks for the analogy! ^^

I'm not entirely certain how it's slowing down, nor do I think any theories have been put forward yet (then again, I don't usually hear of these things for months). The way they observed it, however, was to measure the speed of the light coming from two different stars whose speed relative to us was similar, so as to not get too much interference. One was much further away, and thus the light arriving would be much older. The older light was measured to be faster than the "newer" light, from what I remember.

9. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

I see. I agree with you in your previous post.

Let's see. I don't care too much about traveling FTL. There are many dangers in space. Do you think that the space is all clean and empty? No. At that speed a colision with any object in space is really dangerous.

Slowing down? That's new for me. Then what about the wave-matter duality?

For now, I stick with it's not possible, but I cannot completely trash it.
    There is not such thing as impossible - Greed Fullmetal Alchemist

10. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Even better question....
    Would you survive? I suppose not...

-lucky

11. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

there are ways to counteract Gravitational forces and Wave distortion (slang used to express the force of matter, at high velocities, on an object when gravity between objects is extremely low) that work pretty well...but the best we have today is to knock down the G-forces experienced in Hybrid planes down by 1 G-Force... we are very far away from preventing hurtful G-Forces at the speed of light....