Computers DSL probs.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Phalanx, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I purchased DSL and have had everything up and running for about three weeks. Everything is nice and fast except for downloads. Off of bit torrent, everything is going to take 10+ hours to finish (averaging about 20-26kb a sec). I tried to use "Tune Up Utilities" which doubled my speed with dial up. But that program displays a number of error messages when I try to start it up.

This had better not be normal. If anyone wants to ask any info that you think might solve this "spell of slowness", then ask away.

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Downloading things off bittorrent also depends on how many seeds/leechers there are. It's not off a site, it's off someone else's computer, and therefore bandwidth. For the most part, speed varies according to how long the particular file you want has been out. Newer stuff has much more seeds than older stuff.

Also, make sure that your "tune up utilities" isn't a *ahem* "speed" program for your dial-up ONLY.

And besides, 26 kbps isn't bad at ALL.

3. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Check your bittorrent sites every day for new stuff. If I grab something the day its out, it's not uncommon for me to get 120-200 kbps.

In contrast, if I grab it a week later, it's only 20-40 kbps.

Furthermore you would do well to get the Shadow Experimental Client, as it allows a couple setting changes which can help speed it up.

5. Sesshomisao

Sesshomisao Poison Girl

DSL SUCKS!!! I have had it for 3 years and we have had to have them come out here and fix it like a bazillon times...It wont keep my messangers loged on...but the good thing about it...download times are faster than a modem....thats not spelt right...but yah....*shrugs* maybe you need to have them come out and look to make sure everything else is running correctly. other than that..I dont know how to help you.

<Misao>