Computers DVD help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dr. Nick Rivera, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

OK, I want to get a picture from one of my DVDs on my computer, but i only have Windows Media Player and i can't copy it, and when i use print screen it doesn't work. Is there any way around this without spending any money?(i'm poor)

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Problem with DVD on computer is that most render directly to screen from card, so it never actually hits any capturable area. Jump into your media player settings and adjust your hardware acceleration settings to off. Then make a normal screenshot using Print Screen and Pasting into an App. This should work...I think.

3. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Yep, by far the easiest route is to simply freeze-frame, hit print screen on your keyboard, open photoshop or whatever, hit new, edit-paste, select the media player window, and choose edit-crop (or image-crop, too lazy to open PS7 to check). If print screen ISN'T working (which there is no reason it should not, but *shrug*), look into finding an alternative player to use that may have a screenshot feature built in. If you can't get one that works, IM me and I'll do some research and get back to ya in a few days if there's a better way. Right now I am very tired and need some sleep. :p

- Ark

4. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

What BMS said. Turn off hardware acceleration and you can use printscreen in WiMP.

I use PowerDVD for my DVD playback, and it has a nice built-in screenshot key, there are prolly others.

5. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I figured I better ask this here since it kind of relates to the DVD-computer subject and it also seems that Ranma-Yasha got her/his question answered.

I got a few cd's from my friend that are in ".rm" format. Is there a program I can get that could change the format so that way I can watch it on my dvd player?

6. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

As far as I know, no. Realmedia is very very, uhm, female-dog-like, in their guardianship of the propriatary Real Player format.

However, the net hates propriety, do a google search for 'RM to AVI conversion' or something, someone may have written a program to do it... but I can't recommend any, as I've never needed to use one and therefore never looked.

- Ark

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

What format are dvd files in? I have a disc in AVI format but all I get is a disc error notice on my screen. Any way to make it "watchable"?

8. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

.avi? Have you tried the Nimo Lite Pack? Search for "Nimo Lite Pack Download" at Google, and you should come up with the home site. Download it, it's pretty much all the latest drivers.

As far as DVD files, I've no idea. But .avi's should be playable right out of disc, unless your computer is completely codec free. But, Nimo should take care of that easily.

9. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I want to be able to play it off a DVD player, not off my computer. Thats the problem, anything I can do about it or am I just outta luck?

10. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

If your DVD could do so, you'd probably have to burn those .avi's into a VCD. If you burned those same .avi's unto a DVD, they won't work right off the bat. There is a player out there that can, but that's old news, and it was going for 400 bucks last year. As for now, I'm not too sure if there is. AFAIK, the only way to see them on your television from your DVD player would be to make a VCD.