Inu-Yasha "Editing" on CN

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Mchan, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Mchan

Mchan New Member

I was watching the Inuyasha on Adult Swim just last night and couldn't believe my eyes. There were two scenes that I destinctly remember that are in that episode that just weren't there. For a first, they cut out the part where Kagome is looking at Inuyasha in the tree where they're all thinking about how Kikyo died, yada yada yada. And, they cut out almost all of the scene where kagome is trying to decide whether or not to go out with Hojo (sp?). What the heck? As if the censorship on CN wasn't bad enough, now they're cutting out important scenes too?

2. sangotaijiya

sangotaijiya New Member

Yeah they suck. Buy the Jap DVDs, then you don't have to put up with censorship.

3. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Don't you have to have to have a Japanese DVD player to play Japanese DVDs?And if you don't speak japanese,you can't understand the dialogue.They don't have the english dub or subtitles available on them.The American DVDs are almost never edited,and have both sub and dub on them.Go for those instead.Unless you can speak Japanese.

4. Kogarashi

Kogarashi Summon of Wood

Exactly. The Japanese dvds are region 2 (won't play on American dvd players), do not have subtitles or an English track, and average 2-3 episodes per disc (worse than Viz, believe it or not). The American dvds aren't edited, since it's CN and not Viz that does the editing. So those missing scenes will be on the Viz release dvds.

5. Mchan

Mchan New Member

I know I know...I really should watch them on DVD. Does anyone know a place that sells them for a good deal? cuz i'm a little low on dinero at the moment.

6. Kogarashi

Kogarashi Summon of Wood

Um...not sure where you can get a good deal. Try BestBuy? I know MediaPlay and Amazon.com both carry them, but the prices aren't exactly the best. ::shrug::

7. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

If only someone could make a store with the selection of Suncoast,and the prices of Bet Buy.Hmmm.......

8. Zero Enna

Zero Enna New Member

ive noticed that to. we should do something about it, but what?........

9. Kaneda_345

Kaneda_345 The Star Stealing Boy

You guys that complain about these minor edits really should see the FOX Escaflowne...they DESTROYED that series. When you see it, then you can complain, because the CN edits really aren't that bad. Editing happens all the time on TV, especially on Cartoon Network...

10. Mchan

Mchan New Member

Yeah...I know!!

I don't know if anyone ever watched Escaflowne on FOX but I think that that could definitely be considered one of the worst anime censorship disastors. Escaflowne is such a great series and to see it butchered by those network bastards was depressing to say the least.

This essay says my feelings exactly about it:
    http://www.escaflowneonline.com/review/edited.shtml

11. sangotaijiya

sangotaijiya New Member

No the Jap DVDs I have are region free and are subtitled.

12. Kaneda_345

If that's the case, those are HK bootlegs.

13. Kogarashi

Kogarashi Summon of Wood

They have Chinese subtitles, don't they?

14. Kaneda_345

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but they are region free, and that's what HK bootlegs are known for, being region free.

15. Kogarashi

Kogarashi Summon of Wood

Sorry, that question was actually directed at sangotaijiya. I know about the HK bootlegs; I've heard people talking about them enough and seen them on eBay myself. But thank you for answering anwyay. ^_^

16. Zero Enna

Zero Enna New Member

When u say "religion" what do u mean?

17. Kogarashi

Kogarashi Summon of Wood

We didn't say "religion," we said "region." There's a difference.

As for region, in case you don't know, dvd players are manufactured according to region. North America (and a few other places, I think) is Region 1. Japan (and Asia, I believe) is Region 2. Region 1 dvd players won't play Region 2 dvds, and vice versa. Now, Hong Kong bootlegs are usually made Region-free, or Region 0. This means they can play on any dvd player, regardless of region. It's also a sure sign that something is bootlegged, if it's region-free.

To spot the region mark on the back of a dvd, look for a symbol that looks like a little globe with longitude and latitude lines, and a number. That number is the region the dvd was manufactured for.